PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• goldopals
    goldopals Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2013 at 11:24AM
    Options
    Hi, I have just joined this site and am aiming for $150 AUD for April starting from today. I live by myself, and groceries are apparently more expensive in Australia, so this budget may not be entirely realistic.

I have spent $52.08 AUD on groceries to cover the next fortnight. This covers vegetables, fruit, porridge, noodles and stock cupboard ingredients for a bolognaise sauce.

Normally I cook in bulk on the weekend and freeze portions.
    Fortnightly budget: $50/$60
    On my way towards saving for America! :j
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hello hope everyone is staying warm. I have a few Easter treats to pay for later but dont plan any food shopping in April budget until later next week. I think April will be a bit cheaper than March but those are famous last words.

The freezer is holding up well from the costco meat shop. i have been very pleased with everything we have tried so far.

Take care Tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The freezer is holding up well from the costco meat shop. i have been very pleased with everything we have tried so far.
    OH and I are totally converted to their fresh chicken (we've both had boneless thighs, and he's had drumsticks as well), turkey (I got a reduced to clear crown at the end of December) and minced beef (the scotch stuff that was on offer in the last book is amazingly lean).

We've also tried a few cooked meats for sandwiches, and have prettty much stopped buying those from supermarkets as well. Luckily the sliced beef (definitely our favourite) freezes well, as a pack can then be eeked out over 2-3 weeks due to not having to watch the date on it (nor pinching an odd slice every time we go into the fridge for something like milk for a brew!)
    Cheryl
  • PrincessLou
    Options
    Today is my first shop of the April grocery challenge. The catch is that i'm sending my husband to do the shopping as i am away at the moment. However, i have written him a very specific list of what i want him to buy and given him strict instructions not to buy anything else.
    To be honest i'm really dreading it - last time he went shopping by himself when i was too ill to go he came home with completely different items to what i had written on the shopping list and had managed to spend twice as much haha. :D

I know he tries his best. Fingers crossed though haha
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some spends to report since my last post including £10 on alcohol (probably less but didnt get any change from DH so will call it a tenner) to celebrate DH first big bonus in his new job and £19.46 in Mr S on over chips, hash browns for Easter weekend fry up, eggs, ham, fruit and garlic butter. Oh and the four GF hot cross buns that jumped into my basket:)

We will be visiting Mr T at the weekend to use my 2 vouchers and to take advantage of the 25% off wine promotion and get a couple of bits to put away for our holiday and a toy I want to get DS for his birthday in May to make up the total. Just need to hide the wine in the garage or DH will guzzle the lot twice as fast as buying it weekly;)

I will also need to add in tomorrow's fish and chips lunch for the three of us.

I added up my change pots last night. I had intended to use this money to pay for our food on holiday and I have £86!! :j
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    Options
    HI Everyone, cannot believe it the April challenge already.

My month started on the 26th of march and runs til the 25th may. Ive already had 2 NSD but today will be another story, desperately need milk and bread so nipping to the corner shop to last til tomorrow. My budget for this month is going to be cut by £20 so it will be £220. Not sure if its possible but I want to really challenge myself this month. I came in £3 under my £240 budget for March but theres still about a weeks worth of meat in the freezer.

Planning a couple of shops over the weekend to top up for the month. Aldi, tesco and iceland and a them quick nip in poundland tomorrow. Maybe also a trip to Wilko as i really need to top up on toiletries and cleaning bits.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • bekkikay
    bekkikay Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest i'm really dreading it - last time he went shopping by himself when i was too ill to go he came home with completely different items to what i had written on the shopping list and had managed to spend twice as much haha. :D

I know he tries his best. Fingers crossed though haha
    My partner is exactly the same. I search the websites and do screenshots of the exact products I want and ask him to check the dates and he still comes back with different items with only 1 day shelf life left plus 5 tubs of ice-cream that I can't store. He says its too much pressure once he's in the supermarket. This is a grown, intelligent man with a highly pressurised job.
    I try and make sure that he never needs to do any top-up shops now but sometimes its unavoidable. Hope your OH does a lot better than mine.
    Jan-March: reduced monthly food bill by £400 (cancelled overdraft and started saving)
    April: £112.17/£180 food budget. £9.39/£20 household. 4/15 NSD's.
    TTC#3 since June 2012
  • PrincessLou
    Options
    bekkikay wrote: »
    My partner is exactly the same. I search the websites and do screenshots of the exact products I want and ask him to check the dates and he still comes back with different items with only 1 day shelf life left plus 5 tubs of ice-cream that I can't store..

Haha, i know right? I don't think i can be any more specific on my list. I even tell him the colour of the packaging, price and everything.
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • maximus_leeds
    Options
    Hello April - big thanks to Billie-Jo for flagging the new month's thread for me on March, I couldn't find it for toffee doing a search!

I'm not starting this month's GC until the 1st, but wondered if you could knock me down to £375 this month? I've been doing really well since the new year after switching to Al*i and meal planning - it's been a real eye opener! New Baby #3 due this month (the 6th, though I reckon we'll be lucky to get passed the weekend!), so not sure how that will effect the spends this month (can imagine us relying on internet shops and a fair few takeaways), but we will try! Happy GCing for April people - and have a fabulous Easter xx :T:T
    GC 2014: Jan £24.68/£400 :)
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,282 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Please put me down for £340 for April. Will try very hard this time as March was so unsuccessful!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport