PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Right that’s it, enough is enough – I’m just back from @ldi with some fruit and veg having spent another £4.05, (red onions, sweet potatoes and conference pears – 69p each, plus Brussels 1.09 and leeks 89p)

I now don’t need to spend any more on food for the next 2 weeks; I really want to use my remaining £24.16 on getting a Turkey Crown and other bits and pieces for Christmas.

So if you see me on here posting anything other than a series of NSD’s I give you all permission to slap my legs or at very least raise an eyebrow and tut, tut, tut :naughty: at me.
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    hi everyone hows it going?
    I'm doing a kind of grocery but i haven't put a figur on it eyt as i'm trying to stock up on offers for over christmas and hopefully through to february.

Just thought i'd post a recipe up. we had this yesterday and we all enjoyed it. My partner the cheese freak was surprised at the small amount of cheese used. so thought i's share.

Leek, Mushroom and lemon risotto

200g chopped and sliced leeks
    200g mushrooms chopped
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    3 cloves garlic chopped
    1 onion sliced and chopped
    2 pints of stock (i used vegetable)
    400g long grain rice
    50g Parmesan cheese
    3 tbsp lemon juice
    salt / pepper

Fry garlic till slightly browned, then add leeks and mushrooms.
    Sprinkle some salt and pepper on them till fully cooked. Then empty them into another bowl.

In the same pan, add about 2tbsp butter into add the onion and fry till softened.
    Add the rice and stir for about a minute then add the stock slowly till absorbed and the rice is cooked and tender.
    If not cooked just a bit more water till rice is cooked.

Add the Parmesan cheese,seasoning and lemon juice stir then add the leek and mushrooms mixture. Heat for a few minutes then serve.

We had the above with foccacia bread, was very moreish and filling.
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    she_who_can_not_cook Posts: 650 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2012 at 2:32PM
    MrsCD wrote: »
    Same here Nick. I'm off next week because I had too many days to carry over to next year - we can only carry 1 week's worth over.

i used to carry over a week but now we can not carry any over i am off next week for two weeks lol
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Definitely going to bust the budget this month - £17 left till the 25th for fruit/veg/milk/bread, and Mum's coming next weekend and demands things like sweets and biscuits. At least the freezers are full of meat and fish, and the pantry's well-stocked. Oh well - better luck next month :)

Kezlou - that risotto sounds fab, and I'm going to make it tomorrow night.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • £8 in Iceland on Friday and £48 in tesco yesterday but that did include bits that have been out aside for Xmas
  • Afternoon all
    Spent £60.40 in T's this morning, got a fair bit of reduced stuff and this shop should last us the final 2 weeks of Nov GC - unfortunately have gone over budget again this month.

Next month I think I will be un-including eating out, just to see what we spend - although this month on 2 x T's shops + 1 small A's shop we have spent roughly £210 altogether.

Will update sig shortly
  • Some spends to confess : €10.51 at t€sco, 36.32 at mr.aldi and 7.50 on logs and sticks at our local shop.. Bringing my total up to a whopping €130.47! So I have €69.53 to spend until the end of the month.. Well, until the 29th as I'm away that day to my mums wedding.. It's going to be a tight one as I don't have much in the fridge/freezer. I'm on the SW diet and I always feel this pushes up our grocery bill as I eat fresh fruit and veggies..
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi everyone, can you please help.

I am going to make the 'Basic pizza dough' from the list on the front of this thread.
    It says that you cut it into 8, and freeze what you dont want to use. So, my questions are: What do i freeze it in? just a bag, or do i need to wrap it in something?
    To defrost, i presume that i just leave it out on the side?
  • WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Hi everyone, can you please help.

I am going to make the 'Basic pizza dough' from the list on the front of this thread.
    It says that you cut it into 8, and freeze what you dont want to use. So, my questions are: What do i freeze it in? just a bag, or do i need to wrap it in something?
    To defrost, i presume that i just leave it out on the side?

i put mine into margtubs or old takeaway tubs, and yes, defrost on the side.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks poppy :)
    I havent made pizza dough before, can you tell ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure