PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    been down shops and spent £5.27 on fruit and veg. so got to update sig
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mummy2mygirls
    mummy2mygirls Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    Hello all. I spent £53.50 on a delivery on sat. Have just done one for tomorrow to be delivered its at £59 atm :( Trying to stick to two shops a week between £50-£60 and it is hard to do :( I find Im not really getting much from my shopping. Im missing Aldi :(:( But My pelvis ( Have SPD again :( ) cant handle pushing 2 DSs and a trolly full of food so have to keep to it a try and work the best way to save the pennies.......
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • mummy2mygirls have you tried doing a stocktake and then writing a mealplan with stuff that you have in and then topping it up with your shop. I find i get a lot more for my buck and lots more meals, rather than loads of shopping with hardly any meals, dropping down to shop own brands or value brands can save you loads also. Good luck and the fact you are trying, you will get there in the end, p.s. also if you shop Asda, they do £2 slots, if you are around all day, also at the weekend, it all adds up.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!

Had a lovely night out with a friend seeing a play (bargain tickets on a deals website) and a couple of drinks but lost my transport pass which still had three weeks on it - £60 down the drain unless I get it back :(:(:( last time I lost it (I am a bit careless as you can see :o) I did get it back a couple of days later so keep your fingers crossed for me! Still annoying as in the meantime I have to fork out for singles tickets everywhere and it's a waste of cash :(

Oh do hope you get it back, why is it when you are trying to be especially frugal something like this always seems to happen?
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    6 days and nights worth of (fairly) healthy meals for 2 people for £25 from morrisons.

Sat- pizza and salad
    sun- toad in the hole with loads of veg
    mon- bacon and onion with tomato pasta sauce and wholemeal pasta
    tues- sausage casserole
    wed- fish cakes, new potatoes and salad
    thurs- fish fingers chips and beans.

Plus loads of fruit, juice, milk cereal (porridge oats and a box of cereal), big loaf of bread, ham (for sandwiches) beans (for beans on toast) and soup for lunches.

There you go, 6 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 6 dinners for 2 people for £25. Amazing how much you can save when you cut down on meat!

Gonna do this for the next few weeks and use the underspend (£15 under budget per week) for the extra costs associated with the Christmas period.

Thats quite impressive well done.
    Slimming World at target
  • mummy2mygirls
    mummy2mygirls Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    mummy2mygirls have you tried doing a stocktake and then writing a mealplan with stuff that you have in and then topping it up with your shop. I find i get a lot more for my buck and lots more meals, rather than loads of shopping with hardly any meals, dropping down to shop own brands or value brands can save you loads also. Good luck and the fact you are trying, you will get there in the end, p.s. also if you shop Asda, they do £2 slots, if you are around all day, also at the weekend, it all adds up.

Thank you. For your reply. I have done the Tesco saver shopper thing so can have as many deliveries already paid ofr. I done it so that I wont cave and go to Aldi as I wont waste the money Ive already spent :) Otherwise I know I would go Aldi and then regret it as it will hurt to much.... I have tried Asda a few times but the delivery always has something horrible and nearly gone off :( yucky
    I shouldnt moan too much as there is a few of us and we go through lots of milk (thats why I have to have 2 shops a week as cant store enough milk for a whole week :p) Tomorrows shop doesnt have any meat etc as have loads in the freezer so I managed to stay under budget but I worry about when I need more meat.....
    Im sure it will be alright (has to be :) ) But I hate that all the fruit etc cost sooo much more then at Aldi.......
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    £54.28 spent but freezers are full. Just need cupboard and fresh now :)
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • Nicki_Sue wrote: »
    Really quick update. We move on Friday (argh!). Still trying to keep in the challenge. Not logging everything to be honest but instead taking out £100 a week to last and so far so good. I'm internet-less from Friday for 8-10 days but will keep reading on my phone if I can and try and stay on the straight and narrow.
    Roll on November which I'll be hitting big style grocery savings!

(You all seem to be doing really well, I don't always post but I do read x).

Good luck with the move.
    xx_Jo_xx wrote: »
    I like the idea of a cookbook thread, but being a full time student, single mum and working, there isnt a lot of time left to try out exciting recipes... Its something Id nosey into from time to time though to see if there was something quick easy and within my skill level I could try :D

Went to @sda yest for some much needed bread and stocked up on Dried Herbs. Also bought Washing Liquid and Fabric Softener.

I did however meander slightly from my list and bought two packs of tortilla wraps which were 50p each and a pack of snickers (£1)... I grudge buying a bar of chocolate for nearly a pound when Im at uni, when you know you can buy a whole pack for that :)

Spend: £10.44
    Total Spend: £60.97

I'm at uni too and this year I've not only started taking snacks but also a flask of tea. Last week I went into uni 4 days and only spent 75p all week. Last year, I definitely spent more than that.

Well, I've tried the Sainsbugs basics tea at 29p for 80 bags and must say it's good. There is no horrible after taste like some cheap teas and as long as you leave it for at least 2 mins to brew, it is easily strong enough. I'm converted and will continue to buy it - very good for a tea addict like me :D.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Nsd today. I had some pastry in the fridge that needed using by today, so I got some sausage meat out of the freezer and mixed half of that with about half a packet of sp stuffing. Made up five large sausage rolls with that, and another one with just stuffing. It occurred to me that I always have pastry ingredients in, and stuffing is only 15p, so if it's ok then that's a cheapo meal!!

For lunch I had lo chilli on top of nachos, with cheese on and grilled for a bit. Lush.

This means that I haven't wasted anything today. The other half of the sausage meat will become spaghetti sausagenese for my dinner tom and weds.

I find my problem is that we always use less food than I think we will. I know this is a good thing really, but then why do I buy so much?!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • spent £9 on food for the cinema today in Superdrug/Greggs - but got loads of stuff; bag of popcorn, fruit and nut bar, 2 drinks, sandwich, and three pasties :)

not all for me of course!!! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport