PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Kylieminoag
    Kylieminoag Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    I didn't :D;)

I have a wee stash of chocolate ambrosia custards which were glitching at 11p a year ago. :)

I don't think I've ever made it from scratch. I love this stuff though so would love to hear how some folk on here make it:T

Hi

Sorry if someone has already said this - am a bit behind on the thread .....

I make chocolate custard from the huge bag of chocolate blancmange powder that I bought from appr*ved foods for 99p! (other chocolate blancmange powders are available!) Theres a lifetime supply. Hot, its chocolate custard and cold, its blancmange.... also delish with banana and a dash of rum stirred in (Carribean custard - yeeah maaan!)

The same applies for pink custard (That used to come with chocolate concrete for pudding at school) Its just hot pink blancmange mix before its cooled and set!

Yum - have made myself hungry just thinking about it!:rotfl:

HTH
    x
    K
    DFWNerd 1417
    MFW by 2018 Jan 2012 £186,000 :eek: Sept 2015 £50,000
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Sorry if someone has already said this - am a bit behind on the thread .....

I make chocolate custard from the huge bag of chocolate blancmange powder that I bought from appr*ved foods for 99p! (other chocolate blancmange powders are available!) Theres a lifetime supply. Hot, its chocolate custard and cold, its blancmange.... also delish with banana and a dash of rum stirred in (Carribean custard - yeeah maaan!)

The same applies for pink custard (That used to come with chocolate concrete for pudding at school) Its just hot pink blancmange mix before its cooled and set!

Yum - have made myself hungry just thinking about it!:rotfl:

HTH
    x
    K

Wow. What a great idea:T
    Love the idea of pink custard. I'm sure we had that at infant school with chocolate shortbread. We had green minty custard too if memory serves me right?!

I think that you can make up blancmange with a jelly mix for a different type of dessert. Never tried it but read it on the OS thread a couple of years ago.
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    S-I_am wrote: »
    I'm sitting here procrastinating - its raining out there and I need to pop into the village for some fruit and veg. I don't drive and I don't much fancy getting soaked.

Fozziebeartoo - Enjoy your lovely newly decorated room. What colour have you gone for - if thats not too noisy - but please be careful putting those curtains up. After too many mishaps DH has now banned me from climbing on chairs and ladders to put things up or get things from the back of cupboards. And I'd hate to hear that you've injured yourself.

Craig - What about grown up cordial? :D I have a recipe for fruit vodka. I've only made it with blackberries at the moment but I fully intend to go through all the summer fruits as they come into season. I'll post the recipe if you're interested.

Wishing everyone a lovely afternoon.
    :)i dont drink but oh licking his chops at the thought of it lol yes pls do post recipe xxx:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 May 2012 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Florenceem wrote: »
    I use my ancient Kenwood hand mixer to make my Yorkshire batter.
    Makes 12.
    Cost approx - 24p.
    6ozs plain flour.
    1 egg.
    6 - 8 fl ozs milk/water mix.

Whisk all together - I add in freshly ground black pepper.
    Leave to stand about 1 hour.
    Put tiny knob of lard in each muffin tin space - heat in 220c oven. As quickly as possible divide batter between the 12 spaces. Cook for about 20 minutes.

I noticed that bought Yorkshires contain sugar and salt. Much better and a lot cheaper to make your own - takes so little time. I used to make 24 Yorkshires at dinnertime - put 10 - 12 that were not on dinner plates - on server in middle of table. Never any left!

Snap I use the same recipe, given to me by my Nan almost 50 years ago when I first got married, never fails me, and of course the secret of a really hot oven, I use lard too and make sure its smoking before I pour batter in. My Nan used to let us have the extras for pudding with jam, but only if we have eaten all our dinner.
    Slimming World at target
  • MunniMuncha
    MunniMuncha Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Toad in the Hole.
    What oven temp do you cook YP on - it is having the melted fat hot plus cooking in a 220c oven that makes them rise.

Yes I have my oven at around that temp too - but last week was the very first time my yp rose. Will try again using one egg and will report back :p
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28:j:j:j
  • Redly12
    Redly12 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Please put me down for £150

Fingers crossed - that will be relatively easy! :o
    My lightbulb moment happened 3 May 2012
    Approx. debt £29752 :eek:
    May Grocery Challenge - £34.83/£150
    PAD Total - £1.00
    Loose Change Pays My Debt Total - £0.00
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NickJW wrote: »
    Can anyone vouch for either of the Toad in the Hole recipes on the front page? I've never done it before, but I have an abundance of sausages in the fridge, so it is something which will be good to have on the meal plan in the near future.

NickJW Both will be fine. Toad in the Hole is very forgiving as a recipe. The important things to remember are to make sure the fat in the pan is very hot before you pour the batter mix in and if you are using fat sausages, part cook them because they take a little longer than the batter (chipolatas take about the same). I use oil or lard or solid dripping from a roast - they all work.

I can vouch for many of the batter recipes others have been posting as sometimes I use 1 egg and sometimes more. I never measure except by spoon (flour), palm of the hand for a pinch of salt and by eye and texture once the milk starts to mix in. I generally add only a dribble of milk to the beaten egg and then the flour and salt and mix to a thick paste (less likely to be lumpy) and then dilute it down gradually with milk. I would use 2 medium eggs with 4 TBSP plain flour or 1 large egg with SR flour if I'm short of eggs. Let it sit around for at least half an hour (any lumps will be obvious and it works better)

When I make YP with roast beef, I cook it in a slab in the roasting tin under the beef on a rack - so the meat juices flavour the YP. They are v popular and never any leftovers.

I like the mini TITH idea - I heard of someone doing individual ones for their kids in muffin tins with half a chipolata in each (twisted to make cocktail sausages).

My friend adds a little dry stuffing mix to the batter mix to fill people up more too.

The eggs are the real rising ingredient, if you beat the mix it will rise more than stirring the mix because of the extra air (SR flour is a little cheat if they don't always rise for you)

HTH
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes I have my oven at around that temp too - but last week was the very first time my yp rose. Will try again using one egg and will report back :p

So pleased you are going to try it, just think you will be saving 7 eggs. Good luck.
    Slimming World at target
  • MunniMuncha
    MunniMuncha Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    So pleased you are going to try it, just think you will be saving 7 eggs. Good luck.

Thanks for the good luck - will need it:D

Now what do I do with the other 7 eggs.............:think:
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28:j:j:j
  • HappyTorty
    HappyTorty Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    NSD on groceries today :j
    For dinner I made Sheppardless pie and it was gorgeous! :D

Made loads of it so there are four tubs of it in the freezer and two in the fridge (one for my lunch tomorrfow and for his lunch too).

His dad brought round loads of food for us that was apparently ours before we moved out. (only moved out on sunday btw so it isn't years old!:rotfl:) So thats loads of freshly frozen salmon, various meat free stuffs, tins of spaghetti hoops (love tinned spaghetti on toast and with cheese:p), pasta, rice, a couple of cans of soup, more pasta, more rice....:rotfl:At least I will only have to buy perishables for the forseeable future! :j
    May Grocery Challenge : 64.81 so far

May NSD: 0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family