PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,913 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hi all hope everyone is well,
    im not too sure about the carrots lush i would say no but really not sure someone will be a long in a minute to help.
    just a quick update went to a**i today for mushroom and onions and two jars of pasta bake so spent £3.22
    then went to mrt's and bought 2 bags of reduced stirfry for tea 2moro for£1 some finest chorizo £2.50 and some ham 61p and garlic bread 64p im not counting the tesco shop as i got a money card this morning from them sent in the post i rang head office the other week about a indian takeaway meal thing i got it was half eaten :mad::eek: couldnt believe it so they sent me a £6 giftcard
    and the money had been taken out from other weeks budget so not counting it twice if that makes sense.
    were having pasta bake for tea with chorizo,onion,mushrooms a bit of garlic and lots of cheese on top and garlic bread i have made this before but just wondering can i freeze it if theres any left???
    so £3.22 to add so spent a total of £7.74 since friday :j:jso £7.26 left to last til friday very doable as i dont need anything but not sure what to do with the money left over each week?? what does every1 else do when theyve got money left over ??
    I have been saving left over shopping money - started twelve weeks ago - got £130.29 so far in a pot.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 242/210
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £43.30/£100 NSD - 73
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • majjak
    majjak Posts: 380 Forumite
    Going to have a NSD here, mainly due to the fact that this darn cold won't go ! :( Need to stay in the warm so no whoopsie hunts for me tonight.

Had porridge here too for brekki. Got a fair bit of the oat so simple honey to use after I stocked up when it was on offer and combined it with a coupon. :money:

Lunch was crackers with philly and some fruit. Not very hungry so just trying to eat to keep strength up.

Dinner is meatballs and spaghetti (whoopsied meatballs were 44p per pack of 12 :D ) total cost for 6 of us is approx £2.50, would be less but I've used up all my H/M tomato sauce so had to buy one. Plan to grow lots more this year to reduce food bill further. Can't wait for Spring planting time :j :o
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • bupster
    bupster Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Needed fruit and didn't want to go to hugely expensive Tesco Express near work (City of London - I think they must have an extra 'they won't even notice the price' banding for my nearest) so I went to my big Tescos on the way back from picking up some freecycled stuff (hanging files - dead expensive to buy). Spent £3.54 on six apples, five bananas (why are bananas so cheap?) and four whoopsied yoghurts, plus a lettuce to bulk out dinners with a bit of salad, and two value mozzarella things to freeze.

I need to stop going into supermarkets though. I know I'm not spending much, but I don't really need to spend anything - the sky wouldn't have fallen if I'd gone without apples for a couple of days. :o

Now sitting wrapped in two blankets while I wait for the heating to kick in - fed up of being frugal and freezing :rotfl:
    Grocery challenge September 2022: £230.04/£200
    Grocery challenge October 2022: 0/£200

2012 numbers:
    Grocery challenge - April £65.28/£80
    Entertainment - £79

Grocery challenge March £106.55/£100
    Grocery challenge February £90.11/£100
    Grocery challenge January £84.65/£300
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi

I haven't bought too much this year but now the post-Christmas eating up has (finally :o ) stopped I'll have to take stock.
    I had an As*a shop today for basics and will make a plan for January tonight - I'll have to get back into the habit of cooking after a week of being either cooked for or eating turkey/ham/pate/camembert sandwiches!
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • tracey12_2
    tracey12_2 Posts: 425 Forumite
    I would love to see the banana bread recipe. My usual one has milk so I can't eat it. Not entirely a bad thing, but it would be nice to indulge sometimes! :j

Gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free banana bread

Makes 1 loaf

225g gluten-free white bread flour
    2 level tsp baking powder
    50g margarine
    50g demerara sugar
    3-4 ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 180ºc/gas mark 4.

Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, then use your fingertips to rub in the marg.

Add the sugar and mashed bananas and beat together to add some air. Pour the mixture into a well greased and floured loaf tin.

Bake for 45 mins. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
    Officially debt free :j
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 January 2012 at 5:02PM
    ...I couldn't work out how to put 2 quotes in 1 reply :o, help please! ... Pixie

click on the orange balloon at the bottom of each post you want to reply to;
    when you're read to reply just press the Quote button ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Small spend today of £11 (rounded up figure the change goes in my pot) this also included 2 boxes of terrys all gold chocs (reduced in ic*land so £1.79 each all thier xmas stock is reduced) these are for birthday presents in feb (bbd is 06/12). Forgot i needed some milk so have asked my dad to pick some up (dont need to pay him for this as he picks the odd bits up for me but not sure if i should add it to my total ?? is it cheating if i dont :D. Tea tonight is chicken kiev and new pots with coleslaw and tomorrow we are having hm lasagna so hopefully a NSD tomorrow.
  • tracey12_2
    tracey12_2 Posts: 425 Forumite
    £7.26 left to last til friday very doable as i dont need anything but not sure what to do with the money left over each week?? what does every1 else do when theyve got money left over ??

If I have any money left at the end of the month I put into a separate bank account towards a holiday fund. I know some people save it towards bulk buying purchases.

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,913 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    elly2 wrote: »
    Small spend today of £11 (rounded up figure the change goes in my pot) this also included 2 boxes of terrys all gold chocs (reduced in ic*land so £1.79 each all thier xmas stock is reduced) these are for birthday presents in feb (bbd is 06/12). Forgot i needed some milk so have asked my dad to pick some up (dont need to pay him for this as he picks the odd bits up for me but not sure if i should add it to my total ?? is it cheating if i dont :D. Tea tonight is chicken kiev and new pots with coleslaw and tomorrow we are having hm lasagna so hopefully a NSD tomorrow.
    Can I ask - what is the personal challenge please?
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 242/210
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £43.30/£100 NSD - 73
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 January 2012 at 5:04PM
    Justamum, I've added your Banana Bread recipe to the index :T

tracey, I've added your Gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free banana bread recipe too :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family