PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just popped in to update my weekly spend and give you my totals. I have just under a £100 of this month's nominal budget left. On the plus side I have managed 5 out of 10 NSDs so far this month.

Today's 'big' shop included 2 Lurp*k spreadable 500gms for £4 and 2 C*vent Garden soups at £1 each (though Waitr*se made a mistake and charged me the full price - I will have to go back and get them to refund it tomorrow).

BTW, Co*p are selling 12 rolls of Nouv*lle loo rolls for a £5 while stocks last, so I will be popping in on my way to work this afternoon to stock up.

Have a good day folks.

Moniker
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    jumblejack wrote: »
    What a FAB idea! "Lemon in the cavity!"

I am DEFINITELY trying this next time I cook a bird. Absolutely inspired idea!

I quite often do this with a roast chicken - it keeps the meat lovely and moist. It works with an orange too.

Moniker
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Tigerfeet - have your children been officially diagnosed because if so you can now get Genius bread on prescription. My son has Coeliacs & I agree it does make things more expensive. Even though we get bread & some biscuits or pasta on prescription, I seem to have a lot of trouble getting some things & still end up buying a lot of it & it certainlu bumps the food bill up!

NSD yesterday & today may be the same although I really need bread & ketchup.

I used to be able to get a prescription but as they are only GI and not Coeliacs our PCT won't cover the prescriptions now. I sometimes manage to get a sympathetic locum who will do one for me. It's a pain because they used to be able to get it.

I make my own biscuits now. Peanut Butter Cookies being the favourite. They even go down well with non GI peeps and at school fairs etc. I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.
    martafdz wrote: »
    I bought it once and not happy about the quality, tbh. I now buy the 800g-1Kg (can't remember) packet from MrM that are at 3 x £10. I divide each tray into 3 small packets for freezing and use one for a meal for two. Each little packet I make has a value of £1.10, 55p per person, and I must say the mince is really good. I used to buy MrS but found that it had too much water/"whatever it is that makes it watery". It works out about 250g of mince meat each meal for two, which is really filling if you are also adding vegetables. I think it is good value for that price. You can buy other things in the 3 x £10: 4 pork chops, 4 lamb chops, 25 meatballs, one full chicken, 3 chicken breasts, etc.

Unfortunatly our MrM's is out of town and not on a direct bus route to me, which is a pain. The same with MrS. We do have a small MrT in town which I sometimes shop at. I don't drive so it is shank's, bus or taxi, so I tend to do my shopping online.

I also do it often. It is really nice. The other day I just added the lemon juice from the bottle I had bought for the pancakes though :rotfl:It was really juicy and tasty. I mixed about 20ml of lemon juice with some olive oil, black pepper and salt. Then baste the chicken every 20min with this. The lemon makes the oven a bit smokey if you have it in juice instead of in pieces inside. But the result is really nice both ways. I did not have extra gravy and had instead the juices from the bottom of the pan, which were only the lemon, the spices and the juices from the chicken. Tasty tasty tasty... :D I am hungry now!!

Glad lots of others do this :) It does make it very yummy and moist.

By the way, Idk who said about boiling ham at home for sandwiches, but thank you thank you thank you. I bought a pork shank for £1.7 at MrM and boiled it for about 2 or 3 h. I then took the meat out and into a tupperware. I had about 8 sandwiches full of meat, thick chunks, really tasty, with no added water, preservatives or whatever. And I also made stock with the bone and the remaining water. Amazing. I never thought of that. A packet of good ham costs at least £2, unless it is reformed with bits and pieces and added stuff. This was natural, healthy, really tasty and much cheaper!! I probably would have only had 3 sandwiches from a packet and I had over twice as much being really generous with the amount of meat we out in! Thank you!

Oooh! that is a good idea. Might have to try that. Will I able to tdo the shank in the SC do you think?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    you can do shanks in the slowcooker but really they need boiled to get rid of the salt imo, i have read a few on here doing them in the SC tho

te£co do 3 packs of meat for £10 aswell, i really can't stand frozen mince i did use to get it years ago if i was really skint, i buy 2 packs on 800g value mince and split it in 5 portions, which i think works out 80p a portion, and i bulk it out with grated carrots, frozen peas and sweetcorn to make it strech, i feed 6 people on one yesterday, i used to gte 6 portions out of 2 packs but they used to be 1kg :(
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Spiggle wrote: »
    I am reading but feeling a bit quiet recently and I have been working some long days this week. I'm really feeling for Angel at the moment too and, a little selfishly, for myself as it's my lymphs that they think there is something in
    There is nothing even remotely selfish about that Spigs, nothing at all.

I sincerely hope - as I do with Angel - that you have some good news to share with us very soon. You hang in there hun :grouphug:
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • tigerfeet2006 - That's a shame about not being able to get the g/f food on prescription. I would love the recipe, if you don't mind please.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • tigerfeet2006
    Thanks for that Quint. Think I will go and change my order to 'proper' mince.

It's a pain about the size thing, isn't it? I used to be able to do so much with 1kg but the 700g is such a nothing size.
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 - That's a shame about not being able to get the g/f food on prescription. I would love the recipe, if you don't mind please.

Peanut Butter Cookies

Pre heat oven to 180degC. Line baking trays with baking parchment. Usually makes 20-24

6oz caster sugar
    7oz peanut butter (usually buy shops cheapest)
    1 egg
    1tsp of baking powder

whizz sugar and pb in food processor. Add egg and baking powder and whizz. Roll into balls and flatten in your palm and put on baking tray. Cook in oven for 10-15 minutes. Let cool and store in an air tight container.

No flour involved what so ever :)
    BSCno.87
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for that Quint. Think I will go and change my order to 'proper' mince.

It's a pain about the size thing, isn't it? I used to be able to do so much with 1kg but the 700g is such a nothing size.

if i cooked a whole kg it either would only ahev onions in it and be enought for 2 meals and possibly a pie, whay was really annoying was when i didn't relise when i was shopping and suddenly had 400g less when i got home :(
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Robson65
    Robson65 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "Cheats Chicken Cassoulet and rice (will use meat from roast)
    Harry Potter Stew "

This sounds interesting !!! Could you post the recipe ?
    Does it involve dragons ??

Thanks

Robson
    I almost had a psychic boyfriend but he left me before we met.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure