PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2011 at 11:01PM
    Not feeling great today, as it's dd 6th birthday, but she's with her dad, so I only really saw her this morning before school. Was SOOOO tempted to go and spend spend spend, which is normally how I deal with things, so I was really pleased when I realised I'd left my mobile phone at home, so had to go home for it. Once I was home, I cba to go out again, and now I've had a glass of wine to make sure I can't go out!
    PG x
    Well done you Penny :T
    jammydodger Sorry to read about cat hun :grouphug:

Well, my eggs were fine, so a NSD here :)

Can I ask what people use to make their shortcrust pastry with? I know my oven is playing up, and has been for several months, but I don't seem to be able to make a decent pastry -or at least pastry for a quiche - to save my life lately.

I've used ½ Marge & Lard all my adult life, but was just wondering what everyone else uses? as regardless of handling as little as poss, keeping my hands & kitchen cool, and chilling 30mins before rolling out, it still shrinks and is as tough as old boots :(

Yet the pastry I made for my pasties on Saturday, whereas not as good as I used to make, wasn't bad at all. And interestingly, on Saturday I used MgD0ugals flour which I bought a while back when it was on offer. Have used McD0ugalls all my adult life too, but in and effort to cut down, have been using SM Smart Price Flour.....hmmm :think: maybe I've answered my own question there...perhaps it's the flour??
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    First spend of the month $2 on egg's.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hippeechiq wrote: »

Can I ask what people use to make their shortcrust pastry with? I know my oven is playing up, and has been for several months, but I don't seem to be able to make a decent pastry, or at least pastry for a quiche to save my life lately.

I've used ½ Marge & Lard all my adult life, but was just wondering what everyone else uses? as regardless of handling as little as poss, keeping my hands & kitchen cool, and chilling 30mins before rolling out, it still shrinks and is as tough as old boots :(

Yet the pastry I made for my pasties on Saturday, whereas not as good as I used to make, wasn't bad at all. And interestingly, on Saturday I used MgD0ugals flour which I bought a while back when it was on offer. Have used McD0ugalls all my adult life too, but in and effort to cut down, have been using SM Smart Price Flour.....hmmm :think: maybe I've answered my own question there...perhaps it's the flour??

i use value flour and butter, i tried half and half and then put it in the fridge over night and it was rock hard :( i had to leave it out to soften before i could roll it, then when i cooked it was like a brick lol
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • goldfinch68
    goldfinch68 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Please put me down for £300 that's me, my husband, two kids, one dog and one cat!!
    Slimming World: SD: 2.05.16 SW: 13st10lb
    Goal: 11st 10lb by my birthday in August

• ab7
    ab7 Posts: 212 Forumite
    Hippeechiq wrote: »

Can I ask what people use to make their shortcrust pastry with? I know my oven is playing up, and has been for several months, but I don't seem to be able to make a decent pastry, or at least pastry for a quiche to save my life lately.

Hippieechiq, dont give up hope! I couldnt work out what I was doing wrong either and it was always either really good or my pies looked liked a patchwork quilt (and tasted like one too :rotfl:). The only thing that has worked for me is putting an egg into the mix. I saw Rachel Allen do it and tried it and it worked with any flour but it makes it more expensive though. Something to do with binding I think but I'm sure the more experienced will explain it better than me :D
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    My Donald Russell order arrived on the 25th, cupboards and Freezers full to the brim, so only needed to buy bread and milk £2.75 that should do me for about a week.
    Still got a few vegetables and plenty of fruit left, enough for about 4-5 days.
    Will be baking cakes & biscuits and bread over the month too , going to try some of the lovely recipes from the list, looking forward to that.

I plan to use what I have in the freezer again this month, and pay £3-£4 per day to the 2nd Purse for restocking it, like I did in Feb. I reckon there's 3-4 months of food (all the older stock) that I'd like to use up, so I don't intend buying any meat at all until it is eaten, I'm not too keen on frozen fish, so will buy that in fresh.

I've placed several advance orders over the next 4 months from Donald Russell, taking advantage of special offers and free delivery + 7% cash back from Quidco. I will put each purchase through for each month as it comes. It seems expensive to buy meat from them, its not any more expensive than SM prices if you stick to their promotions (thats what I'm doing), the quality is far superior and the taste is outstanding, I have ordered two of the following with free delivery and 7% Quidco cash back,(1 for easter +1 for my birthday in July), There's 1.9 kg of meat and 9-11 servings, that will do us two meals + sandwiches. I got an electric slicer in a grabbit last year, for joints like this, I'm hopeless at slicing LOL.
    http://www.donaldrussell.com/p/ShopByCategory_Offers/top-rump-roast-b074.htm
    If I find anything that I think is good value I will let you all know.

2nd Purse
    Donald Russell Steak selection £29 Del 22nd March
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2011 at 11:18PM
    quintwins wrote: »
    i use value flour and butter, i tried half and half and then put it in the fridge over night and it was rock hard :( i had to leave it out to soften before i could roll it, then when i cooked it was like a brick lol
    Yeah, mine is too, or at least it is when I make a quiche and bake blind, and it shrinks too - it's doing my head in!

Thing is, I've been making pastry with ½ Marge & Lard for 25 years, and it always used to melt in your mouth, and my kitchen used to be South facing, and now it's North......I've moved house by the way, I don't have a revolving house :rotfl:

If I'd always been pants at pastry, then fair enough, but I haven't, and now I think about it, the only thing I've changed is my flour (and my kitchen) and I never used to rest it either - made it, rolled it, baked it.

ab7 That's interesting - And what do you use fat wise when you use and egg? ½ Lard & Marge? or all Marge?
    LMAO at your pastry tasting like a patchwork quilt :rotfl:

M0neysav3r I feel your frustration hun, but I don't have a bread maker, and indeed have never made bread, so I can't help. But if you keep asking, someone on here is bound to know the answer and offer some useful advice
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • M0neysav3r
    M0neysav3r Posts: 237 Forumite
    JayJay14 wrote: »
    Breadmakers usually say put the liquid at the bottom, with salt and sugar and butter/oil, then flour on top of that with the yeast on the top. Old yeast is not really recomended.

Oh dear, another failure on the bread front :( It smelt nice whilst baking but when I tipped it out the bottom of the loaf was an inch thick of flour!! I've found the instructions online and like you say the water should go in first - I will try again tomorrow :o
    :j No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! :eek: )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible :j
    GC - March £143.82 / £200 Feb £156.03 / £150 Oops! Jan £180.78/£200:D
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    BrownGun try to do some pasties with leftovers, they are usually quite nice even cold. I used to have soup, noodles or cereal when I was on a diet and had to take lunch with me. I had access to a microwave though. The cereal was handy for break. I discovered that Sugar Puffs and Cheerios had less calories than the Special K and around the same sugar, so I had those often with semiskimmed milk. Batchelors do some amazing pouches (not satchets, pouches) of beef and vegetables that have only 140kl or so and they are really filling and tasty. Tin soups are also ok. Sometimes I took Ryvita bread with Philadelphia or Salsa dip. I love seafood sticks and I often had those with a bit of salad cream if I had a fridge, the combination is tasty and quite low cal. Beans on toast only if you buy the 400g bread, preferible something like 50/50 Kingsmill, that has only 50kcal for slice or less. Otherwise each slice of bread is 110kcal (Warbutons Toastie White, for example). I sometimes bought chorizo or ham, made toasts and put a couple of slices inside of whatever and had them as a toastie. 4 slices of chorizo and the abovementioned bread were about 170kcal, so still really good. No sauces though, but a tiny amount of I can't believe it is not butter added only 20kcal or so. I lost a stone and a half just by switching to better alternatives, reading the packages and reducing portions but still had cake, chocolate and chips, only not all the same day and at one, maybe a small treat every day with a limit of 200kcal a day for treats. But it worked. Avoid fruit juices and soft drinks that are bought. Most of the bottles of juice/smoothies/soft drinks have about 150kcal each glass!!! That is more than a bag of crisps from multipack! the same as two small toasts!!! Swap to freshly prepared juice, water and cordial, herbal teas...

Congrats PennyGrabber on not spending. Why not making a tasting cake for your dd or similar? I am sure she will be excited at being back home with mummy and a nice tasty treat! :D
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    running total is at 60.60 - my first month of not doing an online order - found I was buying stuff just to get up to the min amount and delivery codes seem few and far between atm. So split my start of month stock up between aldi and asda and pretty pleased. Came out of asda with just 2 things not on the list (bananas and bagged salad) and a few quid of 20p whoopsied fruit and veg. Total included a bottle of sherry (for chinese cooking), 3 months worth of cat food on offer and a mop which bumped it up a bit.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport