PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2010 at 8:40AM
    Ellie A - pine nuts are a vital part of pesto so if you could snaffle some basil - it can be kept for a few days in the fridge or frozen in ice cubes. My mum also makes a sort of deconstructed pesto pasta with oil, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, bits of bacon etc You could probably wang some green beans in as well.

Couscous isn't a bit hit here - but I use a veg stock cube and masses of Tabasco to make it up which helps. I also think you can add it to stuffing for chicken - you could use bits up like that.

Coconut milk can be used in sweet dishes instead of milk such as rice pudding or egg custard

HTH a bit.

ETS: Bung the banana chips in some choccy buns - I made choc and banana buns at the weekend and was wishing for banana chips - as I can't add nuts for school
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • :eek:having failed spectacularly on my august GC mainly because it was the first month ever i ever recorded our spends i was wildly over optimistic ha ha however now have more realistic idea of what we spend so we going for £400sept please and hopefully achieve if not come under it then can reduce for oct nov etc - well thats the plan! I am off to do a thorough inventory of cupbaord contents as they full of something but not sure what and there could be tins of anything lurking at the back!! Good Luck all and keep those top tips coming in us newbies need them! thanks xxx:)
    :o Shopping challenge Jan 11 - £350/250 so far!
    :jWeight challenge Jan11
    Saved so far - big fat 0
  • poppy-glos
    poppy-glos Posts: 478 Forumite
    after going mia in august, may i join back in please with £220 for september.

thanks

Poppy
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • Hi everyone

Can't believe another month has passed.

I came in £10.41 under budget last month :j

Please can you put me down for £300 again this month.

Good luck everyone

Thanks

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Morning all. Don't plan to go out today so a NSD is planned. I just got my delicious sub through yesterday and it has an amazing millionaires shortbread in it so will make that today.

It's a lovely day here so I may go into the garden later to sort out my autumn planting bulbs.

Have a good day all :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • EllieA, a couple of immediate ideas would be to use a tin of coconut milk to make a mild chicken or prawn korma curry, and serve with the rice. Or a rice pudding for desert.

Use french beans, cherry tomatoes, an onion, sweet pepper and courgette - chop into small dice and roast with some olive oil (and dash balsamic vinegar?), and some herbs if you have them (like rosemary, thyme, and garlic goes well too). Serve as a side dish with evening meal, and put leftovers into couscous made with chicken or veg stock (from a cube is fine) - I am actually having a very similar dish for lunch today having had the veg mix for dinner last night with roasted chicken portions and roasted spuds.

Apple jelly with the cookers? Or chop into small pieces and dry in a very low oven.

Apple pieces (above), banana chips and seeds etc can all go into muesli - you could get basic oats and make completely from scratch (ferw raisins, dates and dried apricots also work well), or just get a box already mixed and add your bits to it (I add loads of extra dried fruit to either K***ogg's Country Store or S***sburys one in the green box).

Would banana chips work in banana bread? (I partly ask that because I have a tub of banana chips in my cupboard for a few months now, as I bought them for the muesli and then realised I preferred dates and apricots, which really didn't work with banana for me).

I made up a large batch of my roasted veggies last night, partly to use up loads of HG beans and a pack of mangetout I'd forgotten about, and to hide more squashes :) - and partly to have something nice for lunch today!

We are having the garlic mushrooms, chips and steak from M&S tonight, and whatever leftover Chorizo potatoes DD doesn't eat (frozen from last batch) for her dinner. DH scoffed most of the trifle last night!

I am re-evaluating the menu for the rest of this week, as I will be off, and I want to use up a few things. So I may still make a lasagne one day, but I think the tomato linguine will also be needed (loads of tomatoes ripening and we promised DD she could have some). And I'll leave the "easy" dinners for next week when it's back to madness.

I am hoping for an NSD also today - I got my coffee using my S***bucks card this morning, so no cash handed over, and I don't need to get anything else today.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    Can you put me down for £120 We have two new additions that are causing me to buy more food but I need to see just how much extra they are going to cost us. Didnt really keep track last month but our new guinea pigs like to eat lots of fresh veg!!!
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Really need to budget as getting married next year! Can you please put me down for £100 .

Hoping won't be too bad as have a few meals in the freezer. Love the chickpea ideas so may put a couple of tins on the my shopping list. Thinking humous and chickpea curry. Going out to the garden next to see if any fruit left. Will make some coulis if so and freeze it to have with ice cream as have a few tubs of that in the freezer too.

MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • Newbie here - my daughter and I have just moved in with my partner so 2 adults + 1 child. No idea how much we will be spending - so please can I join and I am starting at £250 for September. Going to aim for 5 NSD and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Sept 2013 NSD 0/14 GC 0/£160 Flylady am 0/30 pm 0/30
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    :D)
    EllieA wrote: »
    Oh weird and wonderful things :D

4 tins of Coconut Milk. - curry. Rice pud.

Pinenuts?? - pesto. Pasta with roasted tomatoes, pine nuts and bacon (and basil leaves if you have any) - yum

Massive Bag of Cooking Apples (i have made tons into pies/crumble and apple filling but still have loads left and the freezer is full) - leave in fridge for a s long as poss until you have more room in freezer!:D Apple muffins. Baked apples with sultanas (and sunflower seeds

couscous i know i should be able to use this but tbh i find it abit boring and tastless but refuse to bin it. - I love couscous. Make it up with squeezy garlic (dried herbs if you want) add roasted veg - Mediterranean. Serve hot or cold. Or add sunflower seeds, some roasted veg, cumin, coriander, chickpeas and sultanas for a more moroccan type. Serve with pork and roasted peppers and onions and courgettes (all in together) instead of rice. Use in wraps withj chicken (add salsa/ sour cream for stick-togetherness)

Green beans and cherry toms from the garden, getting abit sick of them now tbh, frozen loads but need some good recipes rather than sidedish/butty's/salad because if i serve them again i thing im gonna have it thrown at me. - roast toms and freeze for use in pasta. Freeze chopped toms for pasta/ pizza sauce/ ratatouille/ casseroles. Chutney beans and tomatoes. Serve cooked beans with a spicy tomato relish (pretty much the only way I'll eat the beans unless in chutney!!

Cracker bread thats been there for at least a year - I thnik you may just have to bite the bullet and eat with cream cheese and chopped tomatoes :D

Banana Chips? - yummy choc/ banana muffins. Also yummy to eat as is! Stirred in yogurt.

Oh and a serious amount of mixed seeds (things like pumpkin, sunflower etc) i occasionally have some as a snack but i have so many i really could do with getting rid of some. - in yougurt. Ialso use HEAPS in crumble toppings and flapjacks. Use in muffins. Roast some with soy sauce as an omega type snack mix. Roast some with honey for yummier snack mix!:rotfl:

Rice and balsamix vinegar i bought for a recipe at some point and have never needed again Rice wine? Use it up in stir fries a bit at a time. Balsamic = gorgeous with peasant sty;le bread and olive oil. Drizzle over pasta dishes, salads, lasagne. Use with tomatoes when roasting them for depth of flavour.

hopefully some ideas for you :) There is also a storecupboard challenge thread somewhere that can probably copme up with more ideas :)

Mrs Mc, can I please have a budget of £350 for September - a reduction of £100 (eek!!) If I live off the glut of F&V from the garden I could do this....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: If I manage it I want to put the £100 as an overpayment to the mortgage.... :) Haven't declared August yet - need to add up our receipts from our weekend away in a mo - I suspect the vast amounts of icecreams will help to bring me quite close (but hopefully not over!) budget!!:cool::cool:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport