PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for that Kipper,I always thought sauce's were hard to make, would go lumpy easily:confused: so usually buy a sauce mix:o

HWGA xx

If you do get a problem with HM sauces going lumpy, just use a stick blender/ liquididser(sp?). Works well. Stick blenders are relatively cheap in supermarkets... roughly £4.

Spent over half of budget so far, but am well stocked up. Hoping to stay away from supermarkets until next week.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    More spends! I haven't done a meal plan this week as I'm off for half the week and it's the Edinburgh Festival so I can never guarantee if I will be home. Could be an expensive week!

So, spends today:

Morrisons

Milk £1.20
    Felix x 3 boxes £8 (Saving of £2.35)
    Muller corners (6 pack) £1.40
    Anchor x 2 £3
    Bread £1
    Sweet and sour sauce £1.06
    Fajita seasoning £0.72

Total spend = £16.38

Aldi

10 eggs £0.99
    Ham £1.89
    Chicken tikka slices £1.99 (Not to be bought again, didn't have the consistency of chicken) :eek:
    Wraps x 2 packs £1.78
    Bananas £0.73
    Lettuce £0.29
    Juice £0.99
    Cheese £2.08

Total spend = £12.13

Not too bad in total I suppose. Off to update my signature and watch "Economy Gastronomy" :D
  • I seem to be popping into sainsburys too frequently at the moment,i must make a note to myself not to do this!!!!Especially when i am hungry:mad:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I seem to be popping into sainsburys too frequently at the moment,i must make a note to myself not to do this!!!!Especially when i am hungry:mad:

that's one good thing that featured on the Economy Gastronomy prog tonight - its all in the menu planning and shopping lists! :D

I'm a bit of an evangelist about meal plans and shopping lists :p
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2009 at 9:42AM
    Morning folks...just wanted to share a Mumma-Spesh I concocted for last night's meal. It was really very tasty even if I say so myself :pApologies if I haven't invented anything at all, but we've never had it before :o Like many other 'good' inventions, quantities are a bit hit & miss unless given, but as most of it is veg, use your imagination is all I can advise :rolleyes:
    It looked like a curry but had the twang of a bolognaise so I've christened it a Beef Bolurry:rotfl:
    I put into a large oven-proof & hob-safe casserole dish a splash of oil & began to gently fry:-
    Cubed braising steak
    Thinly sliced carrots I]but would grate these next time[/I
    Finely diced parsnip
    2 [large]sticks celery, chopped fairly small
    1/2 ea of a red & yellow pepper, diced
    Garlic
    1 tin toms [that got mashed as I stirred it all up so saved me another job:T]
    1 tin condensed tomato soup, rinsing out with half can of water into the pot
    liberal helpings of dried basil & bay leaves

Removed from hob, covered with foil in a medium oven for a couple of hours & served with boiled rice.
    I didn't add onion this time so Pup could have some I]which soon disappeared from his bowl I can tell you![/I but would next. I will try it again with chicken especially, but imagine any meat would work. Likewise I should think it would make a good slow-cooker recipe too.

Another Spesh for tonight is Meatloaf.
    In a bowl & using my little stick blender:-
    1lb pork sausagemeat, marmalised to a smooth pate
    1 grated carrot
    1 pk value sage & onion stuffing, NOT mixed up but straight from the packet
    good sprinkling dried parsley
    1 lg egg

Blitz it all up, then in medium oven for around an hour, till a knife blade came out clean. We're having it sliced cold tonight with mash & veg so I'll let you know tomorrow if it was as much of a success as last night. Pup has some hm meatballs I found lurking in the freezer :j so he has virtually the same as us again but without the onion.
    Editing Weds post on Fri to say.....be careful of the carrot! Our 'savoury' was really quite sweet :o Will add another post on the end of today's bit too, so all can see :p
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ellemm
    ellemm Posts: 11,262 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    Another Spesh for tonight is Meatloaf.
    In a bowl & using my little stick blender:-
    1lb pork sausagemeat, marmalised to a smooth pate
    1 grated carrot
    1 pk value sage & onion stuffing, NOT mixed up but straight from the packet
    good sprinkling dried parsley
    1 lg egg

Blitz it all up, then in medium oven for around an hour, till a knife blade came out clean. We're having it sliced cold tonight with mash & veg so I'll let you know tomorrow if it was as much of a success as last night. Pup has some hm meatballs I found lurking in the freezer :j so he has virtually the same as us again but without the onion.

That sounds very easy BigMummaF will certainly give it a try-I usually mix minced lamb and sausagemeat and just add some dried herbs.
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all

Going to update siggy in a moment. Having a baking/preparing for winter day today as well as trying to fly lady.

Just wanted to add this recipe as ordered loads of red onions from MrT last night as they were on offer and I have done this before for winter as DH loves it with stews and beef dishes. This was also posted by Rachelle on the live for 4,000 thread.

1.25kg onions
    3 tbsp salt
    1kg sugar
    500mls
    red wine vinegar
    2tsp caraway seeds

Chop onions cover with salt leave for an hour
    Rinse & dry

Add sugar, vinegar & seeds into saucepan; boil for 5mins then add onions. Cook for a couple of hours on a low heat until the mix becomes thick, onion tanslucent & brown. Can't go wrong.

Put in sterilized jars.

Please can it be added to the recipe thread so I can find it again.

T xx
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Right - updated siggy.

Managing because our local sommerfield has shut down and is being replaced by a MrS. But in the meantime we have nowhere to shop so been relying on MrT for home deliveries - making sure I search for on-line coupons (saved 13.00 yesterday !!)

We do struggle for milk because it is 1.10/pint at corner shop !!

Anyway easy chocolate cookies in baking, mousakka ingredients ready for later, red onion marmalade will be done later and I am going to look around for some more cheap recipies that I already have the stuff in for.

MrsM - Found the Blackberry cake recipe - thank you -x-

T -x-
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks MrsMC for the blackberry bake recipe, can't wait to try this! Wish our blackberries were ready. :)

Things here foing not too badly, considering all the stockpile buying and price increases. Current spend total for the year is at £947.62, so that's an average of just less than £30 per week for 3 adults. However, it also means I have only about £250 supposedly to last me the remaining 20 weeks of this year and I foubt very much if I can make that stretch. Trying my best, though, as there's stacks in stock but insufficient meat, fruit, veg, milk and bread to make it last.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    It looked like a curry but had the twang of a bolognaise so I've christened it a Beef Bolurry:rotfl:

Love the sound of that BMF :T I've listed both recipes in the front index, but to make it easier for people looking for recipes I've called your first concoction 'Beef Casserole', hope that's ok :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family