PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    well i have to spend today i have no milk or bread amongst other things but ive made a list and im not going over it (she says with fingers crossed as DD is coming as well) ... shall update when i get back from town :undecided x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Hello

I seem to have disappeared from the monthly list for the grocery challenge

Please put me back on. I have posted my total for the month already

Its in my signature

Thanks

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    do meals out count in budget? or take aways

I have a seperate budget for going out which includes meals take aways and nights out. I use GC for food and cleaning stuff.

Did butcher shop on sat, £9.67 for 400g mince, a chicken which will be stretched to 3 meals, 2 lunches and stock, and 2 giant chicken breasts which will do 3 dinners :)

OH off to Mr t tonight with a list so should stick to it.

Have had an OS triumph! We had veg that needed used so I 'suggessted' grating carrot into a lasagne, OH thought it tasted good and we should do it more as it's a really good idea. At last :)
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    do meals out count in budget? or take aways

We include them. But its up to each person what they include in Grocery Challenge. I may change this when I next review the budgets and reduce the GC budget accordingly
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Hi

Went to MrA to get a couple of bits and spent £27!

Got the bread mix that Philsmum mentioned but it says its a 2lb loaf size and my BM goes to 1.5lb so I'm going to take some of the mix out and keep my fingers crossed for that perfect result.

Have a good day everyone
    Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Will catch up on this thread later today, we've had piggy flu here followed by no internet connection because of a damaged cable grrr, so I have a lot to catch up on.

Mrs M can I declare £281.08 for July and please put me down for £295.00 for August, ta muchly :) Have decided to decrease a little, I get the leftovers from July to add to my decorating budget, definitely makes me want to keep on track, although I'm surprised I did it!

LV x
    Grocery Challenge : August 09 £295.00 £194.23, July 09 £300.00 £281.08
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Got the bread mix that Philsmum mentioned but it says its a 2lb loaf size and my BM goes to 1.5lb so I'm going to take some of the mix out and keep my fingers crossed for that perfect result.
    Thanks for the further info - probably not worth me making a special trip then as my machine does 2.5lb or 3lb, so I'd have to use more than 1 per loaf and I don't think that would really work out any cheaper than my current individual ingredients :confused:

However, I made a 2.5lb loaf yesterday and it's very hard to cut (as much because of the height as the holes from the paddles) - plus it's disappearing at an incredible rate of knots :eek: If I can work out how to use the machine for 'dough only' for the 3lb size (I assume it's likely to have this function, but need to explore) and then split it between 3x1lb loaf tins and bang them into my oven, can anyone advise what I need to do once I take the dough out of the machine please? I assume they'd need another rise once in the tins, as splitting and knocking into shape to get it into the tins is likely to cause it to drop :confused: And how long would I cook them at what temperature?
    Cheryl
  • well is somehow spent over 200 in July but am determined to do it this month!! Please put me down for £170 this month please!!

Anyone tried the pampers simply dry budget range?
    :pClare

Aug Grocery Challenge £159.45/£150
    Aug £5 a day £103.94/£155
    :A Tempus Fugit :A
  • thanks all
    i think i best count it in my budget cause we eat out have t/a far to often and i think thats why we r wasting food plus my waist line could do with out it.
    i'm not doing well this month so far have already spent 25 pounds and not going shopping till thursday
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    elf06 wrote: »
    Pretty purleeeeees can the recipes for these things - they sound delish :D

Here are the recipes for you:-
    Twinks hobnobs:- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5392570#post5392570

Mrs M's Lemon cakes:- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=23736749#post23736749

Cornflake tart:-
    Base just shortcrust pastry
    For the filling:
    175g seedless raspberry jam
    50g butter
    50g caster sugar
    2tbsp golden syrup
    175g cornflakes

Chocolate concrete
    100g margarine
    2 eggs
    100g cocoa powder
    1 lb self raising flour
    100g sugar

melt the margarine and sugar and mix well till it goes syrupy
    add flour and cocoa to the syrup on the pan mix well until its becomes stiff .
    add two beaten eggs and gently mix them in until your mix softens.
    place the mixture into the tray, press into the corners and flatten into the sides of the tin.
    Please in the oven (gas mark 5)and leave for about 30-45 minutes. If the top feel hard take it out to cool. Cut up into slices as when its cool its quite hard to cut. It should be hard on top and moist in the middle.

Flying Fresian:- Mushrooms:- just chop up and freeze, then when you want to cook them just put straight into the pan, no need to defrost.

Very proud of myself finished both of the large cushions for the bench so not now just need to put the arms on it then we'll have a lovely pine bench icon_mrgreen.gif

Going to make Leto (DS2) a little cushion as he's feeling a bit left out because of Brandon (DS1) getting his room done.
    Have to buy toothpaste etc at some point today so will update signature when that's done.

well off to make salad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport