PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Comments

• gizmo111 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember pease pudding ? Does it still exist?

There is a company called Foresight that makes it in tins. I think I've seen it in Tesco.

My worst school dinner was the pilchard with the head still on. Mind you it looked more alive than some of the nuns.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i think i can remember something similar when i was at junior school

although i loved the sausages and bbq sauce hmmm

pease pudding is available, ive seen the tins of pease pudding about as well
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I live in Leicester but I'm originally from the north-east.. I grew up eating ham and pease pudding sandwiches and now OH has discovered he loves the stuff so I always have to take some home for him when I've been home :D
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • mashup_2
    mashup_2 Posts: 35 Forumite
    I remember going back up to Durham on the Rapide coach and the Hostesses sold ham and pease pudding stotties to keep us going. I now live in Surrey and Asda have started selling stotties down here. So ham and pease pudding stotties all round.:j:j:j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I only had school dinners for a week when my late Mum had to go to Scotland to look after her sick sister.
    My Mum bless her wasn't the best cook in the world it was usually basic stuff and no frills as rationing was still around but she cooked far better than the school lunches.
    Lumpy mash, greens that were almost black and the meat was mostly fatty and grey looking.The gravy had a smell of its own and I could pick it out from a thousand blindfolded.You didn't have a choice either you had to eat it or else. I liked the custard but the sponge puddings were like rocks and I think had been boiled in old socks.I dreaded the school dinners but as my Dad was working it wasn't a choice, I couldn't not stay. Even now over 60 years later I can remember that week of revolting food. My children had packed lunches as I wasn't going to put them through being made to eat food they wouldn't like. I aslo remeber gipsy tart which I think was made with floor polish it tasted so bad, I stuck mine into my shoe bag and disposed of it on the way home from school.My plimsolls were never the same after that
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    edited 25 May 2009 at 10:40AM
    My sister and I went to a sort of boarding school where the food was so poor when we had lunch served at day-school it was like eating at the Dorchester. They served that molten-lava cheese pie thing as well and it was one of our favourites. I'd forgotten all about it until I read this thread. Oh, happy days!

The boarding school's idea of a suitable evening meal on the cook's day off was cold tinned tomatoes served with cold pilchards. Sorry that was one cold pilchard. Mind you, I think it stood us in good stead, we were never, ever faddy eaters after that. We still aren't.

I don't know what it's like now but boarding school food in the 70's was dire!!! Everything was sooooo greasy and usually nearly cold...and nary in a chip in sight (well, maybe now and again - occasional Friday treat of "inhouse" fish and chips.)
    Like you say, portions were anything but generous!!
    The cheese pie we got was the awful greasy and somehow very damp version with pastry and a peculiar eggy filling. Sausage pie was worse tho', gristly sausagemeat balls and tinned tomatoes under a topping of sliced potatoes. I shudder when I think of the globules of grease :eek:.

You had no choice but to eat every morsel - including fat and gristle.

No wonder I still love puddings to this day - they were the only edible part of the meal (apart from the lumpy custard - complete with skin)

Re: pease pud - it's available fresh in Aldi as well as Asda.
    :wave:
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Bronnie wrote: »
    I can remember EXACTLY what you mean, even after 40 years. Usually on a Friday lunchtime for some reason. A meanly-thin square of greasy pastry filled with some pallid cheesy stuff. Served floating in the lukewarm watery juice of some tinned plum tomatoes with a scoop of lumpy mash.

I was trying to remember exactly what it was and then when you mentioned, lukewarm watery tinned tomatoes and the lumpy mash. I remembered.:eek:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just been having a nostalgic moment after seeing the tins of Spam in Sainsburys, I used to love the spam fritters at school! I knew they'd be a school recipe thread or two on here and have had spent the last half hour or more imersed in school dinner memories!

I have found a good website that has some old classics on, apologies if it's been linked before, but there is some delicious stuff on here including spam fritters :drool:
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • jo1972 wrote: »
    I've just been having a nostalgic moment after seeing the tins of Spam in Sainsburys, I used to love the spam fritters at school!

We didn't have Spam, we used to have "Plumrose Plopped Ham with Chalk!"
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Oh no waggle dancer that takes me even further back to primary school (mid 60's to 1970) where my most dreaded lunch (at the time) was luncheon meat, cold lumpy mashed potato and pickled beetroot (eugh! I can smell it now) I could only get the mashed potato down with the aid of much watered-down salad cream;
    followed by jelly that had somehow formed a hard crust at the edges.
    :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport