PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• angelatgraceland
    Options
    Flat Eric -Well a couple of months ago I did declare I was going to do a fortnightly Asda shop. However-since then I have found so many bargains elsewhere that Ive decided yet again to ditch that idea and accept that I actually enjoy trailing around the shops looking for bargains!
    So my recommendation,especialy for the moment with stuff going to waste and overspending is to pop out daily/when you need something but to take a list and a limited amount of cash only.
    When things have sttled down and you know what you need you can always review this. Sometimes its hard to preplan the shopping and ordering online you also sometimes pay more and dont get any whoopsies.(whoopsies-reduced items with stickers-usually yellow)
    gillst-you are doing well-keep at it!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Tracey.32
    Options
    gillst wrote: »
    Had a nsd today and yesterday so my remaining £11.60 stays in tact. Had roast chicken, roast potatoes, carrots and cabbage yesterday, followed by hm apple crumble, using apples in the freezer from our own tree, and custard. Used ready made custard, because my last three attempts at making custard went terribly wrong, and everyone has made me promise not to make custard again - don't blame them really, it was horrible!

On Friday I got a tin of Mr Ts value custard for 25p. You can tell it's not luxury custard but honestly it wasn't bad at all. Oh, and congratulations on your star!!! :j
    Grocery challenge: Jun£134.15/£120; Jul £60.90/£120
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Still not spent any money on food but have given OH £40 to fill the tank up with diesel and get half a dozen FR Eggs tomorrow.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Ive got hock in my freezer I believe-what did you do with it/how did you do it in the slowcooker? Could you tell me please

Hi angelatgraceland. -First I soaked the hock overnight in cold water overnight. Then this morning I put the hock in the slo-cooker (threw all soaking water away)
    To this I added:-
    About 1 pint Ginger Ale (Leftover from Xmas)
    Half pint Water
    Juice of half a Lemon
    Rind of Half a Lemon
    A fine grating of Ginger
    12 small Potatoes
    2 Sticks Celery
    2 Carrots
    Quarter of Swede
    1 Yellow Pepper
    2 med. Onions
    1 Clove of Garlic
    1 Tsp Marjoram
    Grinding of Black Pepper

I switched this on at 10am this morning on the high setting and we ate it at around 7pm tonight (My cooker is extra slo because it's from the 1980s)

Also, I did thicken the juices slightly. But.....it tasted lovely, quite sweet, but somehow it seemed right. I didn't use any salt at all, just pepper to season to taste. DH liked it and he's quite fussy, so we're definately having it again. There's enough ham left for another day too:j

Hope this helps.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Ended up doing an online shop with MrT on Friday night as the weekend was going to be busy. Ended up spending £123 :eek: . But I've mealed planned for two weeks and that included lots of packed lunch things, loo rolls, cat food and toiletries. (thank you to whoever suggested kitekat - George loves it!) Also bought a "happy chicken" from the local farm shop and a load of seed and nuts from Julia Graves totalling an extra £20.
    So we now have £104 left to the end of the month.

I bought the largest chicken I could afford and saved a load of meat for a pie later this week. Unfortunately I forgot to boil up the carcass for stock which I would normally use in a rissotto.

I too find it difficult to stay away from the shops but this month I've set myself a little challenge. Our nearerst city is over 20 miles away and I often go for a wander round the city centre shops on a weekend when I don't really need anything and end up spending money on things I could do without. I like to look in clothes shops, shoe shops, department stores etc. So my challenge for myself is to stay away from the city until half term. If I do need something I can probably get it locally or online if it's urgent. I will fill my Saturday with a long run (training for a half marathon) and some "me" time!
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    elizabunny-thanks for that! Did you take the fat and skin off first?
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • elizabunny
    Options
    nickynoo08 wrote: »
    Someone slap me!!!!! I've spent another £12.79 in mrA's today. I did get myself some bargains, but i'm now left with £6 to last me the month:rotfl:
    Somehow i cant see me staying on target this month:rolleyes:. Saying that i really should only need milk and maybe fruit (have plenty of veg in freezer) so i hopefully wont go too much over budget (famous last words)

Slap me too....don't know what's wrong with me:confused: I spent another £9.98p today and I only wanted milk and T Rolls:confused:
    Ended up with
    4 Litres Milk
    8 T Rolls
    Porridge Oats
    Yeast
    Split Peas
    4 Cartons of Brandy Sauce (GREATLYReduced) ...yes I know that's not an excuse:rotfl: :rotfl: (kept telling myself it will taste nice on some pudding or other and it did have a 2010 sell by date)
    Big Lump of Cheese
    Stardrops
    4 Croissants(GREATLY reduced)....no excuses:rotfl: :rotfl:
    Pkt of Noodles (Half price)
    Pkt of ground coffee (reduced)

Oooooooooooh I really do have to get myself under control. :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • orchid-96
    Options
    Elizabunny - you did do well for your 9.98 though didn't you.....better than my 12.85 spent on bits and bobs from the indian takeaway last night to add to our leftovers:o It was nice though.....

BTW :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: to the Frank Spencer comment re 'whoopsie' I remember that well......(showing my age now!)

Also - what is 'Hock' sory if I have missed it somewhere, But I thought it was a nasty sweet german wine!
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/customize?meatcutspork.html
    Hock as in pork in this instance. But it is a German wine too!
    Frank Spencer-yes as soon as I saw "whoopsie" on here-I could hear Frank saying it to Betty!
  • elizabunny
    Options
    elizabunny-thanks for that! Did you take the fat and skin off first?

No I left it on and it just fell off when it was cooked. The same with the bones, the ham just fell off them. It was all so easy.

Orchid-96, Thank you I feel better already!! :j I always think of a hock as the end bit of the leg (a pig). Sorry not a very technical answer and not quite sure if I'm correct:o I'm sure someone knows better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure