Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 2:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 2:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 2:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 13
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 29th Jul 08, 5:22 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi everyone

Just wanted to post to show you my first attempt at HM bread.

I used the Hovis white bread mix which is 29p @ MrT (Hovis granary mix 35p) and made 1 1lb loaf and 4 bread rolls with it.

Gonna have HM butternut squash soup and HM bread rolls for dinner tonight yummy yummy

Nikki x
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Not in our Tesco
    Your bread looks good though
  • liuhut
    Hi everyone.
    First full month and I have a freezer full...going to try for 100 for the first month, just to see how I get on and also this will be about what I have to spend this month as the car insurance and MOt is due...
    WIN 2008 in 2008 1836.31 2009 wins - 91!!! 2010 wins in Oz $ 6170.... wins 2011 aprox $2000
    MFIT - number 37. Reduce my mortgage from 63,500 to 48,000. now at 54,000...
  • Diane_239
    well still on the Nsd DDS wanted a Chinese from take away told um we will do our own so have done chicken chow main,DD1 bought prawn crackers out of his own pocket.need to do some more baking so going to make hob knobs,chocolate chip cookies and a chocolate cake.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge.[200/200]
    Aug Grocery Challenge 200
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening all

Well we had a lovely thunder storm earlier -so things have cooled down a little

We nipped to LIDL to get the water and picked up a few "extras" ...
    • a 125g bar of dark chocolate with dried raspberry pieces in -95c -Im not a big fan of choc nowdays but have seen a nice lower fat brownie recipe i would like to try ... and YES i will post the recipe if they are nice for those chocoholics amongst you
    • a tub of quark with paprika in - 45c - for making pasta salads
    • 2 packs of crispbreads -hubby is an addict -90c
    • a big jar of cherries in juice -95c-for my next jellies
    • ohh and the water
    By the time they had taken off the money from the plastic bottle returns -there were loads more than i thought-i owed them 2c and have another 6 on deposits on the water i just got so not QUITE a NSD.... but i can live with spending 2c

right im off to check how well watered the garden is..pleasssssse let it be wet enough to save my little trotters scuttling up n down the garden with the watering can
    have a great evening all
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 29th Jul 08, 5:51 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    I posted on the July challenge that I am noting down everyone's final figures but I'm having problems updating the list at the moment - it keeps saying there's a 500 error when I try to save the edited post :confused: I'm not having problems editing any other posts so not sure what's going on.

I'll keep trying to update it, but if it doesn't let me I will post the list again at the end of the challenge or on my other post on the first page. HTH

Nikki x

Sorry Angelnikki - I have jumped into August and haven't kept up with the end of the July posts -you are doing a great job - thanks again

Moniker
    • lemonade_money
    • By lemonade_money 29th Jul 08, 5:53 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    lemonade_money
    Hello everyone, I'd really like to join in pls! I'd like to go for 300 for August. I'm certain I'll pick up some great tips from you fab lot
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 29th Jul 08, 6:03 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    I posted on the July challenge that I am noting down everyone's final figures but I'm having problems updating the list at the moment - it keeps saying there's a 500 error when I try to save the edited post :confused: I'm not having problems editing any other posts so not sure what's going on.

I'll keep trying to update it, but if it doesn't let me I will post the list again at the end of the challenge or on my other post on the first page. HTH

Nikki x
    I just tried again to edit with no success so I have put the list on my other post on the first page here

We did really well in July. Out of those declared so far 53 were under and only 29 over so WELL DONE EVERYONE!

Grrr It just let me edit the post to say that I'd moved it but wouldnt let me put the list back on it? wierd :confused:

Nikki x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 29-07-2008 at 9:10 PM. Reason: sp
    • galadriel
    • By galadriel 29th Jul 08, 6:10 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    galadriel
    whoops, sorry double posted
    Last edited by galadriel; 29-07-2008 at 6:12 PM.

• galadriel
    • By galadriel 29th Jul 08, 6:11 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    galadriel
    Hi all, have declared at 116.39 on the July thread, and would like to be put down for 150 for August please. I seem to have overestimated for the last few challenges and I have had a drop in my income as due to DS reaching age 19, child support is no longer payable so I have had to rebudget accordingly.

Off to catch up on the thread, 13 pages should keep me occupied all night.

• bails
    Thanks for the welcome back SFT! How's the saving going? I still get amazed every time I look at your monthly totals, fantastic stuff!
    And MrsM, awesome weightloss since I was last on! Really pleased for you. Loved seeing your veg too - do you think it's possible to grow aubergines over here? That would just about make my month if it was possible!!
    I'd forgotten how much I love this thread, so suppostive and welcoming to everyone, and with so many great ideas and recipes all the time it's impossible not to be inspired. My only problem is keeping up with the speed of the posting, and like someone else said, worrying I've missed something great if I don't read every post
    As you can see from my sig, I've spent a large part of our budget already, and we're not even into August yet We do have lots of stores in though so now just need to get creative with the menu plan. Thanks again for all the inspiration everyone xx
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016

500/30,000
    1.67%
    • philsmum
    • By philsmum 29th Jul 08, 6:35 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    philsmum
    Hi everyone.
    Had a really good month, even though I was quite a bit over. But not spent anything like I usually do.
    Angelnikki will you please put me down for 160.00 for August.
    Thanks
    Debt free from April 2012
  • frugalswan
    Just had my first purchase for the month - £2.14 on some eggs, garlic and milk. The first main shop of the month will take place tomorrow night *feels a bit nervous*
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • bumblebeeandboy
    put me down for 120 this month thanks
  • savingfortravel
    Moniker-Would you mind sharing your marmalade recipe? OB has got very excited about making his own. Thanks SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • annie123
    • By annie123 29th Jul 08, 7:38 PM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 17,241 Thanks
    annie123
    Just done first spend of my month 36 never been so low, sure it will become evident quickly what major things I forgot:rolleyes:

Have noticed with DD (18) away at bf there is less washing up/mess/cost/noise.
    bliss and I can get on the computer

off to update signature....
    • Chell
    • By Chell 29th Jul 08, 7:53 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    Any ideas what I can do with runny jam? I attempted to make strawberry jam a few weeks ago but I couldn't get it to set. It is a bit too runny for using on toast. I made a jam sponge pudding with some a couple of weeks ago but it is too hot to want to eat that sort of thing just now.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 29th Jul 08, 7:56 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Maybe you could use some as sauce for ice cream
    blend a little with milk for a milk shake

:confused:
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 29th Jul 08, 8:17 PM
    • 6,164 Posts
    • 54,457 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    13 pages already???????

It's impossible for me to keep up but I'm still taking part, although that won't be until 1st August, as I'm a first 'til last of month budgeter

GOOD LUCK TO ALL and a special thanks for the recipes index AN - that is such a help!

Runny Jam - use for the base of speedy jam sponges. Really easy to make if you have a microwave and can be substituted with almost anything else you have when the jam runs out - syrup is our fave!

Ingredients
    Equal amounts of sugar, margarine and self-raising flour plus an egg (I use about 100g of each)
    Mix the ingredients together - I just blitz them with electric mixer adding flour slowly so the egg doesn't curdle. Grease a microwaveable bowl, pour in a layer of jam (or syrup or fruit etc), add the sponge mix on top and stick in microwave on full power for about 6 minutes (or until sponge is cooked). Carefully tip out onto a plate so the jam or syrup can trickle down the sides of the sponge, cut into portions and serve immediately.
    One serving can easily soak up half a pint of milk and the above is enough to serve 3 (although it's meant to be 4 )
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 29-07-2008 at 8:32 PM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • savingfortravel
    Hi Everyone!
    Picked up the 6 pints of milk for 1.99 at Netto-Thanks for that great post!
    Also 4 tins of Branston Baked Beans are 99p so picked up 2 lots.

Went to Lidl for Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar and Mozzarella cheese for Sainsburys feed family for a fiver recipe: Tasty Pasta Bake. Hope it turns out ok and more importantly that it will provide a couple of meals.

Oh and I bought a field guide (bird book) about Costa Rican Birds-for OB to give me for Christmas. Had a sneeky peep inside at the toucans and am so excited, feels like I'm one step closer to the dream..
    Thanks Bails for your message..I need to keep up the motivation.. I feel a little distracted this month...
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 29th Jul 08, 8:31 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Hi
    Just had my last delivery for July. Came under budget by 18.66

I would have been under by more but because I knew I was gonna be under budget, I bought a few extra things so I could start August with a well stocked freezer. So I've got:

500g beef steak mince x2 6 meals
    500g lamb mince 3 meals
    500g pork mince 3 meals
    6 finest pork sausages 3 meals
    10 pork chops (5) 5 meals
    cooking bacon 1 meal
    12 chicken breasts 6 meals
    southern fried chicken (1) 1 meal
    chicken burgers (1) 1 meal
    8 salmon fillets (5) 4 meals
    6 cod portions 3 meals
    20 fish fingers (1.50) 2 meals
    6 veggie sausages (89p) 2 meals

Total 40 meals (for 3)

So I shouldn't need to buy any meat at all for August and half of september. I've also got enough pasta, rice, flour, etc for at least 3 months. So should have a good month GC wise this month. hopefully

My HM BNS soup & HM bread tonight was really yummy - had to get myself some more bread to have with it though cos it was sooo good

Take care everyone

Nikki x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 29-07-2008 at 8:34 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

2,505Users online

Martin's Twitter