PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Sharon_1970_2
    Sharon_1970_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Price checks.

I stocked up on rice and red lentils at the weekend. Just in case anyone is interested I priced these up at Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys. The red lentils were cheapest at Asda at 52p per 500g. Basmati rice was cheapest at Mr T, value 89p per kg
    May Grocery Challenge £254.16/£320
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Hi all, sorry I'm a bit late but can I declare my budget for this month as £140.
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    dawnylou wrote: »
    Hi all, my budget again is £200....
    but just wondered...... do you include your alcohol in this?

We don't usually buy much alcohol but we have had friends staying so did buy £20 worth....

My alcohol spends are often is more than my grocery budget so I ignore it so my spends look less.
  • Mrs._Irwin
    Mrs._Irwin Posts: 161 Forumite
    Tomato puree for the pizza it is!
    Well I had a lovely walk to Aldi, and it was shut, which is just as well, because I didn't really need anything!
    Off to do some more cleaning now.

Mrs. Irwin
    xx
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

Grocery Challenge: September: £1.75/£200
  • just worked out how much we've spent so far-53 out of 200 has gone 5 days in. This isnt the best news! But we've had our yougests 1st bday party to acount for, as well as an expensive bank holiday, birthday cake party for 15 people and nappies for the month. That leaves us with out 5.50 per day for the rest of the month. But i'm sure we can manage this. I've got loadsa food in and only one birthday left this month! Hmm i think i'm going to have to be very sagacious this month!
  • moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had a lovely fish pie for tea tonight.

2x 10p whoopsied trout (any fish would have done)
    2 packs of tesco value smoked kippers at 59p each

Cut fish into 1" chunks and drown in a pint of white sauce.
    Top with 2lb of mash (with added parsnips to up the veg. by stealth) and a handful of grated cheese. Oven baked at 200 Celcius for 30 mins. Lovely and more than enough for 5. Cat and dog are happy too as they got fish heads and tails and wot not for tea.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Sounds lovely moo2moo. My dog loves fish too, I always pour the juice from a can of tuna or salmon over his dry dog food so not to waste it.

DD and I went to Aldi today, but we were disappointed really as although the prices are reasonable, they are no cheaper than Asda Smartprice and we couldn't get everything we needed in Aldi so ended up going to Asda afterwards. Probably will stick with Asda as I don't have time to go from shop to shop, I need to get everything in one place. Stocked up on quite a bit of baking stuff as have to bake for a birthday party in a couple of months. I haven't baked for quite a while so I need to get some practice in first.
  • Sharon_1970_2
    Sharon_1970_2 Posts: 312 Forumite
    How do you slice HM bread evenly? I either have wafer thin or doorsteps
    May Grocery Challenge £254.16/£320
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    NSD for me today, thanks to you all I am getting good at this:D just emptied my kitchen cupboards to try to 'marry up' things rather than have it all in there and they don't get used because I can't think of what to do with them but thanks to the threads of recipes have some great ideas now.

Bought the other day the 19p wholemeal pasta from Sainsburys as previously said by a poster it is a bit gluggy and needs a good drain but when done it is lovely , made tuna pasta bake and the kids loved it and had no complaints.

I also bought the ketchup home brand from sainsburys (would usually head straight for the heinz) 25p, expecting lots of complaints but nothing:D and the sweatmeal home brand biscuits (would have been macvities digestives without thinking) 26 p instead of over 70p kids still happy so bought home brand of weetabix or equivalent but they hated them, 2 out of 3 ain't bad:D will use the so called weetabix in a recipe now rather than what I would have done...thrown them out:rolleyes:
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • superspam
    superspam Posts: 153 Forumite
    Hello!

Went to Asda to get what I need for the week:

Asda Squash 2litre bottle x 2 £1.98
    4 pts skimmed milk £1.34
    1 tin heinz tomato soup £.60
    1 tin SP chopped toms £0.21
    1 tin SP baked beans £0.20
    2 x 4 pack Shape yoghurts £2.50 (on offer)
    1 x Asda chilli mix £0.38
    4 x Radox shower Gel £3 (on offer)
    2 x large avocados £1 (on offer)
    punnet cherry toms £0.68
    bag of salad £0.93
    ginger £0.12
    bag of diced carrot and swede (lazy I know!) £0.45

Total was £15.28

I have decided to buy a BM and will take this out of my food budget for the month as there is no other way I can afford it! I am trying to get a good deal on ebay so it takes as little out of my budget as possible. My BF gets through ALOT of bread - do people find a BM pays for itself in the long run? Plus I am gradually trying to cut as many additives and preservatives out of our food as possible - as far as time will allow! Today I made three different kinds of muffins/cakes, 10 portions of Shepherds pie, a large summer fruit pudding, two individual summer fruit puddings, banana flapjack and twinks - all of which is now in the freezer so my BF will now be taking only HM snacks to work :D

Keep up the good work everyone!:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport