The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PPI store cards Santander advice

From 1999-2003 I had a number of store cards, all taken out in 1999 when I was a full time student, although I did start work in summer 2000. I wasn’t aware that I had PPI on any of these, it may well have been on statements at the time, but it was a long time ago and I don’t remember.
A few weeks ago I contacted Santander who confirmed I did have PPI on two of these cards and they were the ones who advised how long the insurance and the cards ran for. I have made a complaint - as I believe the PPI will have been mis sold, given I was a student. They have written to me today to ask me to send more information, but in their letter they state:
Your complaint against SCUKL will be assessed under general legal principles (including time-bar), whereas the FCA’s dispute resolution ‘DISP’ rules apply to your complaint against the insurer.

Is this them indicating the complaint will not be upheld? I have read some of the threads on here, but I am still confused. I do not recall ever receiving a letter from any of them indicating I may have been mis sold (from some of the threads it looks like Santander have used this for the time bar if letters have been sent) but I haven’t lived at the address they would’ve had since 2003, so wouldn’t have received one if it was sent.

I’m aware they haven’t yet rejected, but if they do, are there any avenues to challenge this? There most certainly will have been balances on the cards as I took a loan to pay them all off.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Debsyh wrote: »
    I’m aware they haven’t yet rejected, but if they do, are there any avenues to challenge this?
    You'll have to wait and see what they say first.

No point trying to pre-empt their decision.

Just provide them with the extra information they have requested.
  • You'll have to wait and see what they say first.

No point trying to pre-empt their decision.

Just provide them with the extra information they have requested.

Thank you. I did think that might be the case and that I was being a little impatient 😉
  • Hi Debsyh,

First post and I actually joined to thank all contributers for very helpful advice over the last 6 months or so but saw your post so thought I'd reply here.
    Not sure if this will help, but I have had 3 missale complaints withheld; one from MBNA (credit card) and two from Santander (store cards taken out 2002 and 2006). Received quite a hefty payout this week from Santander for Dorothy Perkins store card (taken out in 2002), and while I can't pretend to fully understand the confirmation letter there seems to be 2 elements:
    1) The successful element was "Outcome of your complaint against Insurer" AXA
    2) The unsuccessful element which is time-barred was against SCUKL

Like you I was also a student (but also with chronic medical condition). While I didn't get asked for any extra information after I submitted my complaint, I did send quite a lot to begin with. So I would say be patient and hopefully you will have a successful outcome too.
    :)
  • By the way, I should have added, I originally received a similar letter to you after I first submitted the complaint, so it looks like it could be a standard Santander reply.
  • Hi Debsyh,

First post and I actually joined to thank all contributers for very helpful advice over the last 6 months or so but saw your post so thought I'd reply here.
    Not sure if this will help, but I have had 3 missale complaints withheld; one from MBNA (credit card) and two from Santander (store cards taken out 2002 and 2006). Received quite a hefty payout this week from Santander for Dorothy Perkins store card (taken out in 2002), and while I can't pretend to fully understand the confirmation letter there seems to be 2 elements:

Like you I was also a student (but also with chronic medical condition). While I didn't get asked for any extra information after I submitted my complaint, I did send quite a lot to begin with. So I would say be patient and hopefully you will have a successful outcome too.

Thank you, that’s good to know. And great to hear you got a settlement from them. X
  • Hi Debsyh,

Congrats on your payout! In regard to your Dorothy Perkins store card complaint, did you only write to Santander? Or did you also write to AXA?
  • Hi topoftherock, I only wrote to Santander using their online complaint form. First complaint took about 2 weeks to come back with outcome, the second about 7 weeks. In their initial 'acknowledgement' they really just laid out the agencies they use to actually investigate the claims (e.g. AXA) and the financial complaints agencies you have access to if not happy with (future) final outcome.
  • Hi topoftherock, I only wrote to Santander using their online complaint form. First complaint took about 2 weeks to come back with outcome, the second about 7 weeks. In their initial 'acknowledgement' they really just laid out the agencies they use to actually investigate the claims (e.g. AXA) and the financial complaints agencies you have access to if not happy with (future) final outcome.

Many thanks for the info! It’s really useful :)
  • topsy73
    topsy73 Posts: 794
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I am also in the process of a PPI missold with regards to an Evans card - I got a letter with pretty much the same wording - seems to be a blanket response by the sounds of it
    Hi Ho Hi Ho it's of to comp I go!
  • topsy73 wrote: »
    I am also in the process of a PPI missold with regards to an Evans card - I got a letter with pretty much the same wording - seems to be a blanket response by the sounds of it
    No acknowledgement letter is personally tailored to the individual complainant (other than name, address and account details) otherwise complaints would be further delayed.

So it is indeed a form letter you've received and it's simply informing you that they have received your complaint and the wording employed is a regulatory requirement.

No one is likely to have even looked at your complaint yet..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure