Employer refusing time off for job interview

Hi guys

Any advice on the following tricky situation much appreciated....

A friend has a job interview (with a new company, i.e. not internal) next week. When called about this interview last week, they arranged to take a day's leave (with their current line manager).

They mentioned to a friend at work that they had an interview lined up. This friend let slip to the line manager that the reason for the day off was for an interview.

This morning my friend has been advised that, contrary to the previous agreement, they can no longer have the day off. The reason given is a fairly spurious one that they have to attend a meeting scheduled for that day. (Previously they'd agreed that it would be OK to send someone else). The line manager has reminded my friend that, whilst leave entitlement is a right not a privilege, the actual days chosen are dependent on business need and that it's perfectly acceptable to refuse a request if something important is going on that day.

My friend is understandably cross and doesn't really know how to play this. Any advice?
"Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.

Comments

• I believe the line-manager is right, however as he/she already agreed, I'd go higher to the manager or HR unfortunately this route may lead to bad feeling in the future.
    Beth :)
  • Hi guys

Any advice on the following tricky situation much appreciated....

A friend has a job interview (with a new company, i.e. not internal) next week. When called about this interview last week, they arranged to take a day's leave (with their current line manager).

They mentioned to a friend at work that they had an interview lined up. This friend let slip to the line manager that the reason for the day off was for an interview.

This morning my friend has been advised that, contrary to the previous agreement, they can no longer have the day off. The reason given is a fairly spurious one that they have to attend a meeting scheduled for that day. (Previously they'd agreed that it would be OK to send someone else). The line manager has reminded my friend that, whilst leave entitlement is a right not a privilege, the actual days chosen are dependent on business need and that it's perfectly acceptable to refuse a request if something important is going on that day.

My friend is understandably cross and doesn't really know how to play this. Any advice?

Some friend!!! :eek:

I guess the options are:

1/. Call the interviewer and see if there is any possible way to reshedule the interview

2/. Call in sick on the day of the interview

3/. Speak to the HR department at the current compnay and say they are aware of what the "friend" has said but it is wholly untrue, you've had a falling out and they are trying to cause you trouble. Give a "better" reason for needing the day off and appeal to their better nature

4/. Not go to the interview

I can't see any other alternatives really. Note to your friend......keep this kind of info to themself in future!!

SG
    Sealed pot 3 challenge number 1008
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Thanks so far for the responses. Re. talking to HR or a boss higher up, the company doesn't really work like that. It's purely matrix management, there's no HR department, and everything is 'line manager's discretion' (which leads to all sorts of problems apparently!). There are more senior managers but the typical stance is that they don't get involved in 'local' issues.

My friend's phoned the company but has been told that they're only interviewing that day. Trying to arrange something else seems a little diva-ish ("I'm so good you should go out of your way to see me on a different day!") and her opinion is that the new company are well within their rights to think "If this is important to you, you'll find a way."

She's thinking of going sick but is uncomfortable with something that is so obviously dishonest. It's also hardly conducive to feeling relaxed and confident at the interview; knowing you've lied to get there. She's just really upset.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Could she not book a proveable dentist/doctors appointment for that day either before or after the interview and just take half a day ;)
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Could she not book a proveable dentist/doctors appointment for that day either before or after the interview and just take half a day ;)

I like it!! Though where I live, getting a pre booked doctor or dentist appt with less than a months notice is a feat in itself! :eek:

SG
    Sealed pot 3 challenge number 1008
  • supa-girl wrote: »
    2/. Call in sick on the day of the interview

SG

Given they have already asked for leave for an interview this option is highly likely to lead to them getting sacked, and having on any reference the reason why (remember references have to be truthful and you have to be able to prove what you say)
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I would call the interviewer and explain that current workplace have denied time off and could they do it at the end of the working day instead.

We interview people after 5pm quite often, as they cannot get time off work at short notice due to the nature of the work. If we think the person is good enough to interview then we will try our best to see them at a mutually convenient time. This prospective workplace may think the same.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    I think she should be totally candid. I'm thinking of suggesting that she just says to her line manager "Right, you know I've got an interview. You didn't previously have a problem with my having this time off, now you do. I can't help but think that this is deliberate. I'd appreciate it if you let me have this time off with good grace. I'm going to the interview anyway, and will try to ensure that this disrupts anyone else as little as possible."

I think it's ridiculous trying to stymie someone's chances at a new job that they want. It's hardly in the existing company's interest to force her to stay!
  • I think she should be totally candid. I'm thinking of suggesting that she just says to her line manager "Right, you know I've got an interview. You didn't previously have a problem with my having this time off, now you do. I can't help but think that this is deliberate. I'd appreciate it if you let me have this time off with good grace. I'm going to the interview anyway, and will try to ensure that this disrupts anyone else as little as possible."

I think it's ridiculous trying to stymie someone's chances at a new job that they want. It's hardly in the existing company's interest to force her to stay!
    I agree. It has been agreed the once, so all that is happening is that the line manager is showing himself to be a little hissy fit.

What is the point of using these tactics to stop someone going who is of a mind anyway. If hissy fit succeeds in stymieing his team member, then it will be a pyrrhic victory - he will just have a rightfully resentful team member.

Idiots like this should not be in management.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • I suggest she just says that when the leave was approved she made plans that she cannot change.
    MSE aim: more thanks than posts :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport