Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • lynne1966
    • By lynne1966 19th Sep 18, 6:49 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    lynne1966
    • 19th Sep 18, 6:49 AM
    • 19th Sep 18, 6:49 AM
    That is a brilliant offer - thank you.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 19th Sep 18, 5:23 PM
    • 7,067 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 19th Sep 18, 5:23 PM
    • 19th Sep 18, 5:23 PM
    Just curious - why would anyone pay these prices just for a brand label, when the contents are no different from the equivalents as sold in Aldi, Lidl etc at well under a tenth of the price?
    • 1974Stephen
    • By 1974Stephen 19th Sep 18, 7:49 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    1974Stephen
    • 19th Sep 18, 7:49 PM
    • 19th Sep 18, 7:49 PM
    Me personally, I spend £3000 or more on a bathroom, I don't want "cheap" things in it. Just my opinion though.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 19th Sep 18, 8:00 PM
    • 12,998 Posts
    • 29,051 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 19th Sep 18, 8:00 PM
    • 19th Sep 18, 8:00 PM
    Just curious - why would anyone pay these prices just for a brand label, when the contents are no different from the equivalents as sold in Aldi, Lidl etc at well under a tenth of the price?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    It is not just a brand label though.

I use cheaper ones usually Boots own brand for everyday use but I do like a bit of luxury now and again and they are different.
    • babymt
    • By babymt 19th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    babymt
    • 19th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    • 19th Sep 18, 8:35 PM
    We've had this conversation every single time on here when anyone posts molton brown. It's got a higher concentration of perfume in it. Why does anyone pay £60 for perfume when you can buy a bottle from Pound land?! Personal taste. If its cheaper than it normally is then its a bargain and deserves to be here. And noone should have to justify their own tastes.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 19th Sep 18, 8:40 PM
    • 7,067 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 19th Sep 18, 8:40 PM
    • 19th Sep 18, 8:40 PM
    We've had this conversation every single time on here when anyone posts molton brown. It's got a higher concentration of perfume in it. Why does anyone pay £60 for perfume when you can buy a bottle from Pound land?! Personal taste. If its cheaper than it normally is then its a bargain and deserves to be here. And noone should have to justify their own tastes.
    Originally posted by babymt
    No question of justification. As I said, just curious.

I can see the point with perfumes, but handwashes and shower gels are all pretty much identical chemically, hence the question.
    • TrulyMadly
    • By TrulyMadly 19th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    • 36,977 Posts
    • 500,578 Thanks
    TrulyMadly
    • 19th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    • 19th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    Don't forget TCB

Thank you Stephen

Early Christmas shopping
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 19th Sep 18, 9:04 PM
    • 12,998 Posts
    • 29,051 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 19th Sep 18, 9:04 PM
    • 19th Sep 18, 9:04 PM
    No question of justification. As I said, just curious.

I can see the point with perfumes, but handwashes and shower gels are all pretty much identical chemically, hence the question.
    I would diasgree.

I have some Chanel No 5 shower gel that I use on the rare ocassion that I have a night out.

It is much different to the one I use on a daily basis.
    • sarah69696pink
    • By sarah69696pink 19th Sep 18, 11:06 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    sarah69696pink
    So different. I agree some expensive products just aren't worth the extra, but I personally find the MB hand washes worth every penny. You need only the tiniest amount, it lathers so nicely, its non drying and your hands smell amazing for hours afterwards. I've not found any other hand wash that does this.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 20th Sep 18, 7:55 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    Brynsam
    Interesting that they did a comparison between MB and another hand wash (Aldi or similar, I think) on one of the TV shows looking at people who are seduced by brands. The two containers were swapped and - guess what! - the MB was dismissed as unpleasant, sticky, poor level of perfume...

That said, I entirely agree that MB scent lingers like no other and smells divine, although I do wonder if I too would be fooled by such a swap. Probably!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 20th Sep 18, 10:44 PM
    • 7,067 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    Interesting that they did a comparison between MB and another hand wash (Aldi or similar, I think) on one of the TV shows looking at people who are seduced by brands. The two containers were swapped and - guess what! - the MB was dismissed as unpleasant, sticky, poor level of perfume...

That said, I entirely agree that MB scent lingers like no other and smells divine, although I do wonder if I too would be fooled by such a swap. Probably!
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    This one?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4025224/How-avid-Molton-Brown-fan-failed-tell-difference-favourite-18-soap-Aldi-s-80-version-fact-preferred-cheaper-one.html
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 21st Sep 18, 7:32 AM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    Sncjw
    I bet you need a big gloop for the cheaper ones. Mb I love I have about 5 bottles of the shower gel. Rosa absolute and rhuanarb and rose are my faves. You only need a drop and hey last for ages. I bet you could spend more than £20 on cheap showergels to lash the same time frame
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 25th Sep 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,959 Posts
    • 5,811 Thanks
    whitesatin
    The cheaper ones may look similar, may even smell similar but, they tend to be harsher, with less moisturising qualities, in my humble opinion.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 25th Sep 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    vacheron
    They may be better quality than the generic stuff, but the mark up on "luxury" hand soap is still huge.

We like the Sea Kelp hand wash by Scottish Fine Soaps. They charge £10 on their website for a 0.3L bottle.
    I can buy a 5L bottle of it for £17 and the genuine printed pump bottle for 90p.

Cost to make 16 individual 300ml pump bottles at home: £30
    Cost to buy one bottle and refill it 15 times £18

Price to buy 16x 300ml bottles on their website: £160!

... and this is me as a Joe off the street buying tiny quantities, imagine how little it must cost to those buying it by the tonne!
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 25th Sep 18, 12:40 PM
    • 7,067 Posts
    • 19,918 Thanks
    Doc N
    Branding is so very important to companies - which is why they spend a fortune building and maintaining those brands.

No matter what the evidence, customers will continue to believe in, and buy, a brand - even if the contents are proved to be almost identical to much cheaper products.

It applies across the board, but to cosmetic products in particular.

Nowt, as they say in the north, so queer as folk.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 2nd Oct 19, 8:46 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Because you can’t give someone Aldi hand wash RRP 69p for Christmas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,966Users online

Martin's Twitter