Money Moral Dilemma: Would it be wrong to keep compensation for a flight my employer paid for?

2»

Comments

• You can accept this money for yourself (obviously if it eats into your working week, that's a different question). The compensation is for your personal time and inconvenience, and to give an incentive for you to take a later flight, if the airline has overbooked your original flight. This also applies to delays to train travel booked for you by your employer in connection with work. I checked this question while working in the customer service centre for a train company, and that is pretty much verbatim the answer I was given. If you are uncomfortable taking this much money, then you can give some or all of it to charity.
  • Not wrong at all. It is you who will have been inconvenienced, not your company.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The question you need to ask yourself is - who was inconvenienced? You or your employer?

It most definitely was not your employer, who hadn't suffered at all; it was you, as the return flight was in your own time over the weekend so, on that occasion, you were perfectly entitled to keep the money.

As to a possible recurrence, I don't think you should deliberately delay a return flight on your own account as it wouldn't be the same situation. Only if the airline compels you to delay your flight should you treat the money as goodwill for wasting a day of your own time.:)
  • A longer answer is...

Under EU Regulation 261/2004 (EU 261) only the passenger is entitled to the compensation. Only the passenger can claim, as the money is to compensate them for the inconvenience. The money is only for the passenger.

The employer can't claim compensation as it isn't entitled to it.

(Thread Closed)
  • wolvoman
    wolvoman Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    RHD_TJ wrote: »
    A longer answer is...

Under EU Regulation 261/2004 (EU 261) only the passenger is entitled to the compensation. Only the passenger can claim, as the money is to compensate them for the inconvenience. The money is only for the passenger.

The employer can't claim compensation as it isn't entitled to it.

(Thread Closed)

The original post had nothing to do with EU261, it was the airline offering incentives for taking a later flight. It was voluntary offloading not involuntary which EU261 can cover.

So thread is still open I'm afraid.
  • As you didn't use it this time, ask your employer now so if it happens again you know for certain. Personally as it is in your time Id presume it's yours for losing the time. But best to check as a job isn't worth $800 or having a bad reference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure