Money Moral Dilemma: Would it be wrong to keep compensation for a flight my employer paid for?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
On a recent business trip to the USA, my return flight was overbooked, so the airline offered passengers $800 to fly the next day instead. Delaying my flight wouldn't have affected my return to work as it was over a weekend, but as my company paid for my flights, I wasn't sure I should take the offer. Next time, would it be wrong to fly later and keep the compensation for myself?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Haven't we had this one before! 🤔

Trying living in my world sunshine, been sent home early twice - does my employer carry on still paying erm NO.

How's about you run it past the CAB.
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In a situation like this I'd say it's pretty clear cut that the employee can take the compensation and keep the money. They are not losing any work time and it is eating into their own weekend.

Personally if I were in this situation and it did mean getting back late for work I'd still take the compensation and keep the money. My employer's pretty relaxed about such things though, other companies may not be.
  • Haven't we had this one before! 🤔

Trying living in my world sunshine, been sent home early twice - does my employer carry on still paying erm NO.

How's about you run it past the CAB.

I'm concerned you have lost all reading comprehension...
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Same as when you last asked. Use the search function, just like everyone else.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 September 2019 at 8:52PM
    Your employer paid already for the flight.
    The 800 dollars is to compensate you for inconvenience and presumably go towards hotel room overnight plus meals etc. Spend what you need to be comfortable and safe, if any left give it to your employer who can decide if you should keep it or not. Chances are the employer will find out about the compensation anyway so it shows you to be an honest employee.
    I am assuming you would be on an expense account paid by your employer, so it is a no brainer to offer to give the money you did not use to the employer You never know, you might even be told to keep what you have left of the 800 dollars to make up for the inconvenience. Better than being sacked for what might be viewed by some as theft? You can bet that if you don't tell your employer what happened, someone else will.
  • Provided you are not on company time; YOU are the one being inconvenienced, not your employer. so the compensation should be yours. However, if in doubt, ask your manager. Compensation is NOT a refund of the ticket price - it's a payment because YOU were inconvenienced. If the delay meant you missed a company meeting, then it[s a different matter. If you've a good boss and you stay in communication, he may allow you to keep it anyway.
  • Work has paid for you to travel there and for your time working. The airline is paying you to spend a day of your personal time so it’s your money.
    If it would result in a day off work it’d be different
  • ReadingTim wrote: »
    Same as when you last asked. Use the search function, just like everyone else.
    Sorry, but isn't this post selected by the MSE team? As such isn't it their "fault" if the question is repeated?? :huh:
    B)
  • renifer7 wrote: »
    Sorry, but isn't this post selected by the MSE team? As such isn't it their "fault" if the question is repeated?? :huh:

Apparently real people send in these random daft ‘moral’ dilemmas. I think they’re just clickbait to drive people to the forums.

You do occasionally get a random new poster stating this was actually their dilemma but... call me a sceptic.
  • Just make your own decision, most people would take it I'm sure!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure