PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    ...French beans have pretty red flowers and look fine in a flower border. my neighbours neven even noticed till I pointed out the beans. :rotfl:

And if you stuck to "normal" green rather than purple or yellow beans, they cannot be seen easily at all!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • WeegieWumman
    WeegieWumman Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone know how the fishing rights go? I was reading somewhere that Irish fishermen weren't going to be able to fish close to their coast as it would be British waters. Wouldn't Ireland have territorial waters, I know nothing about how territorial waters work but it just seems logical if we can claim x miles of sea then other countries should be able to do the same but then what happens if their is a crossover who gets priority?

I hope that this article will go a little way towards answering your question.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/23/britains-fishing-fleet-and-brexit-promises-key-questions-answered
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I read recently (can't remember where, sorry, I think it was a link to a poster's local paper, on another forum) about a fruit farmer whose EU workers had mostly gone home, so he managed to recruit local people to pick the fruit instead.....only they all left when they felt they had earned enough for the day, even though the picking wasn't finished :eek:
  • If push comes to shove and all the migrant workers go home and our own population get hungry enough, we will pick fruit! the old saying 'Hunger is the best sauce' has a great deal of truth in it and if people are hungry enough, the crops will be gathered in and they'll get paid and not be hungry any longer. We're not daft as a nation, just used to being looked after by the state and have stopped being in charge of our own lives. It won't take long for the penny to drop.....you work, you eat and if you don't work you don't eat! simples!!!
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Hit the nail right on the head MLW it was designed apathy, I guess in a way the referendum result has to a degree put and end to this. no wonder the government are in such a tail-spin:rotfl:
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Last evening my son was reminiscing about a farm where they did "pick your own". I used to take the boys with me and they loved fruit picking. I am sure some people would be happy to do this if it meant access to fruit and veg at reasonable prices. It would reduce labour costs and perhaps stop produce being ploughed back into the fields.

That practice has to be the most monumental waste of time, money, energy and resources. I find it quite shocking. Especially when the is a necessity for food banks.....it really is astounding.

There used to be quite a few farm shops near us but there aren't that many left now. Perhaps we might see them come back.

I think there's a lot of truth in what Mrs LW says. I do,think that As a nation we have become a little too reliant on government intervention. And it has to be said .......government bullying and nannying.

Another reason why people are scared I think...... fear of the unknown.

However, like Mrs LW I do beleve that most people are far more resilient than governments give us credit for. I think most will rise to the challenge. And I think it will do a lot of people some good to be able to take charge of their own lives again.

Quite apart from the obvious benefits of a full tummy there will also be a sense of pride and achievement which is so often lacking when the State takes over and runs peoples lives for them.
  • The news this morning was showing front pages of the newspapers and on the Times the headline article was saying that if we have a no deal Brexit within two weeks there will be serious civil unrest? how does this kind of journalism help any of us be we remainers or leavers to maintain a calm state of mind until we actually see how Brexit goes, it's just scaremongering to sell newspapers.....NOT ON!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think the media have a lot to answer for.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    That was the UK boss of Amazon making that remark at a meeting of business leaders, the rest of whom looked at him as if he'd lost the plot. (which he had)

Bear in mind, the current set up enables Amazon to take advantage of some efficient tax planning structures involving Luxembourg. They have a vested interest
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Floss wrote: »
    But that is two posts from a smallish group on this thread of whom an even smaller few also have allotments...the likelihood of wholesale ransacking of allotments is perhaps a little too 1970s television drama scenario (remember "Survivors"?)

Well it is more than 2 now and some have lost whole crops. We haven't got shortages at the moment, will it get worse if we do have shortages? Doesn't seem that farfetched to me, I'm not saying it would happen I was asking the question. I do remember Survivors, bit of a rip off stealing the basic story from Day of the Triffids.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback