IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Weatherspoons Euro car parks PCN

Options
Hobbesy
Hobbesy Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 24 March 2018 at 8:10PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi all,

This is the first time I've been hit with a private 'parking fine' and was hoping for some help please.

My car was parked in a local Weatherspoon's car park (which we've been doing regularly for over 14 years) and paid for three hours. We returned later than the three hours by 24mins but thought because there was no ticket on the car we'd been lucky.

Nearly a month later I (as the registered keeper) received a PCN from the company demanding £90 fine or £45 if paid within a certain period. Now I haven't replied yet (I received the letter 7 days ago) and was wondering where I go from here, I have read through the 'newbie' thread (which in itself is rather confusing).

I'm not denying the car was there but find the 'fine' absolutely disgusting, I spoke to the pub manager and she wanted nothing to do with me and said the chain doesn't entertain appeals and the registered keeper would have to go through the Euro car parks own appeal.

Am I stuck with a hefty cost and never eating there again?

Thanks in advance

Hobbesy

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    Its not a fine......it's an invoice
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please start by reading the Newbies Sticky at the top of this forum to inform yourself properly and see the options available to you.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Options
    Hobbesy, when you read the NEWBIE thread, did you see anything in the first post on that thread about sending an appeal to the parking company?
    If not, then you need to read it again.

You appear also to have missed the bit that says:
    ALL CASES - COMPLAIN FIRST, ESPECIALLY OVER A RETAIL, HOTEL, OR HOSPITAL CAR PARK:

Always complain to the Retailer very quickly and assertively, WITH A RECEIPT IF POSSIBLE:

Successful complaints about private parking tickets - how to get them cancelled! <<< CLICK

See how easy it can be to get these cancelled by a retailer/hotel/landowner. VERY EFFECTIVE AND DAMAGES THE PPC!
  • Hobbesy
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Please start by reading the Newbies Sticky at the top of this forum to inform yourself properly and see the options available to you.

Pogofish, believe it or not I did mate, it's not the easiest thing to navigate and I was hoping a quick push in the right direction would fair me better than trawling massive amount of stuff that doesn't apply to me.

I'll head back over
  • Hobbesy
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Hobbesy, when you read the NEWBIE thread, did you see anything in the first post on that thread about sending an appeal to the parking company?
    If not, then you need to read it again.

You appear also to have missed the bit that says:

Thanks Keith

I did see both of those but to be honest I wasn't even sure if it's even worth trying appealing. I also didn't want to jump in and find I've missed something that should have been done at the very start.

I will do step One and Two and let you know who it goes, thanks all.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    it is either PAY, or APPEAL, one or the other, its that simple

we would recommend APPEAL , again , its that simple

not ONE PERSON who replies on here regularly will tell you to pay
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2018 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Just send the template appeal as it is. No need to change anything.

When you complain to the pub management lay it on thick about how good a customer you have been over the years, but with the cost of parking there, you are beginning to wonder if other watering holes are better value. Tell them you have already warned your friends too.

If you are planning to write to their head office, or even search this forum for others' experiences, please note that their name is not spelled as you have. ;)

Check out the likelihood of court action here:
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Hobbesy
    Options
    How do I appeal to the company (Wetherspoons) without admitting I was the driver?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    you complain as KEEPER and an occupant of the vehicle , assume somebody else was driving (a teetotaller)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure