Taking it slowly, but doing it well.

Comments

• gallygirl wrote: »
    Doesn't use much water either by the sounds of things :rotfl:.

Quickest wash on my machine is 59 minutes :eek:.

Oh dear Gally, my fat fingers are getting me into trouble again......
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • I'm not entirely sure where the last couple of days have gone. But they've gone by in a blur of stress and sleeplessness.
    Work is causing the stress, a poorly pickle causing the sleeplessness.
    Money wise: lost out on a day's supply today because the little one is poorly. But, this is why I do supply, so, if he needs mummy, I can be there.
    Small spend in the supermarket today to sort some fresh fruit and something nicer for tea tonight.
    5 days of the 1p challenge done - target reached for April.
    Tilly tidies made.

Question for you all, I've got £30 of cashback 'tracked' on £Co. Estimated payable date 13th April, when will I get it?

I'm hoping Pickle sleeps better tonight, I'm exhausted and need to do some work tomorrrow.
    Wish.

mse April Goals

1) Mop Pot :j :j :j
    a) next brick on the countdown house: £6.83/£6.83 :j
    b) interest added: £61.95/£61.95 :j
    C) £400 capital reduction: £102.11/£102.11 :j
    D) mfw 2018 challenge amount: £39.11/£39.11 :j
    Extra target: £44.39/£196.83

2) 13 Step plan funding
    return off set pot to pre new fix level £242.62/£542.62

3) nsds
    12/16

4) 1p a day challenge
    31/30 :j

5) use the debit card
    20/20 :j

6) save the £2 coins (update monthly) 1 (you can see how little I use cash...)

7) get in size 14 jeans (update monthly)
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Poor you, the last thing you need on the back of an exhausting work trip. Hope everything is better tomorrow and that you get some decent sleep xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Thanks Pinky, I have been really tired this week, but did sleep much better last night.
    Pickle went to the Childminder's today, I swallowed a huge Work frog (and dealt with several Safeguarding issues)
    I sold a Sling, received the money, posted it and purchased it's replacement (at last!) so, not a nsd, but no effect on my 'everyday' spends.
    Hubby got home late last night and left at 9 this morning, but he did do some housework jobs to help me out, I think he's realised how much I've struggled this week (especially as
    It felt like I had a golf ball lodged in my throat this morning. )
    Payday tomorrow, wages are all allocated in ynab, but I've still got my expenses to do. Only a little bit this month (half a train fare and a taxi payment) next month's will be huge due to my 700 miles of travelling last week.

Tonight I could do with doing some housework jobs to keep on top of things, tomorrow Pickle and I need to do some shopping tasks. Then Saturday we're going red squirrel hunting with some friends.
    I hope everyone has a lovely evening.

Wish.

mse April Goals

Extra target: £48.09/£196.83

2) 13 Step plan funding
    return off set pot to pre new fix level £252.62/£542.62

3) nsds
    12/16

4) 1p a day challenge
    31/30 :j

5) use the debit card

• such a lot of money news today... hold on tight for a bumpy ride.
    Pay day pay and expenses in the bank today. Various pots filled - childcare for May, £100 to step 5 for May, shrapnel to the mop pot, then the rest (not very much I only really work 1 day per week) into various steps of the 13 step plan.

Spending today
    Mum's coffee, well it is Friday and a bit of spending in c0stc0. Thanks to some cashback vouchers from hubby buying some tires last month, cat litter, cat food, toilet rolls, 30 cans of my caffineated fizz and a huge amount of dishwasher tablets cost me £1.78. What a win.
    £20 on 2 pairs of custom, hand made knickers. My friend has a sewing business, and has just branched out into clothing including adult pants. They are so much more comfortable than my previous underwear choice (cheap from supermarket or mr sparks) and are normally £16 a pair, but they are on special offer this weekend, so two pairs purchased. Had to do a bit of warming to cover the cost, but it's worth it.

Other stuff
    I thought I needed new tires on my car (was hoping for some more cashback vouchers) but apparently the tread is fine on them all, and one just needed a new valve and reselling which the men in C0stc0 did for free, which was amazing.
    I've put another sling up for sale this evening, just waiting for someone to get back to me, then that's sold (there's quite a queue behind this person so it should sell tonight, and I can post tomorrow or Monday)
    Tilly tidies done
    1p challenge, 1 day done.

I'm currently £70 short of my target for the 13step plan this month, if the sling sells and I get the money for It by Monday, once I've paid postage, I should clear £30, so nearly half way there. There is currently a little tiny bit left in the spends pots for this month, but not sure if they'll survive until Monday. I do however have over £50 in the mop pot still, this is after I've met my mop pot target for the month. So I could wam from the mop pot to the 13Step plan, overall effect is the same.... hmmm decisions decisions, I'll see what I feel like on Monday.

Tomorrow we are hoping to go red squirrel hunting and will Be taking a picnic, could be a cheap day out. Not going to hit my nsd target for this month, but I'm not actually too fussed about that.

I've been considering contentment today, was briefly involved in a mention of it on another thread. I do feel really content with our'lot' at the moment. Things are looking ok, we are all happy, reasonably healthy (just standard winter colds/bugs) and we have a plan for the future, now things may change but, in the meantime I think I will enjoy being content. Now, if I can only find the rest of that £70 without warming the mop pot.....

Wish.

mse April Goals

Extra target:£58.62 /£196.83

2) 13 Step plan funding
    return off set pot to pre new fix level £472.62/£542.62

3) nsds
    12/16

4) 1p a day challenge
    32/30 :j

5) use the debit card

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    wishingthemortgaheaway Posts: 2,536 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 April 2018 at 9:27PM
    The weather has been beautiful today.
    Two loads of washing dried on the line
    Lovely day out red squirrel watching
    Bbq with another techie widow and her little ones in the back yard.
    I did do a bit of spending to supply the bbq today for this evening so I'm actually further away from my £70, but never mind. £10 in household goods and the cash in My purse (about £7) to last me until Monday. I can do this!

1 day of the 1p challenge done
    Tilly tidies done

I need to have a good tidy of the house this evening, it's getting a little bit ridiculous, so a bit of diary reading and then bed.

Wish.

mse April Goals

Extra target:£60.18 /£196.83

2) 13 Step plan funding
    return off set pot to pre new fix level £472.62/£542.62

3) nsds
    12/16

4) 1p a day challenge
    33/30 :j

5) use the debit card

• Please give me your thoughts:

Of the targets I set myself at the beginning of the month, I have achieved my mop pot target and I'm £70 short of my 13 step plan target for the month.

When I hit my mop pot target I kept tilly tidying into the mop pot, it's now at £60.18. There is £10 in the household goods pot.

Even if I spend tomorrow it will be a good shop for May, so, I'm sure I'm done spending April's money.

I may (because it's never certain) get some money in tonight/tomorrow from a Sling I'm selling, after postage & fees this should be about £30.

So do I:

Wait until tomorrow to do my end of the month round ups or do them today?

Do I: shuffle the money in the mop pot & £10 left in household goods to make £70.18, put the £70 in the 13 step plan and 18p overpayment or.... pay the lot off the mortgage?

If the Sling money arrives tomorrow and I've met my 13 step plan target, do I add it to the 13 step plan or replace the money taken from the mop pot?

What would you do? I don't know!!!

(Interest rate wise, paying it off the mortgage is the most sensible thing to do, but it's hardly big enough to make a huge difference)

Thank you oh wise ones.
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Hi Wishing
    I am not sure what 13 step plan is but if you have set a target for April and you will feel better if you have hit your target, then I would do that and overpay the sling money as soon as you get it.

Although it makes more financial sense to overpay your mortgage, it won't make a huge difference. Personally looking at your circumstances, a young family with a small mortgage and still a long working life, I would look to keep some fluid savings for the next stages of your life...bigger house, another child or even look at starting to save towards the future ( university or retirement). It all happens much quicker than you think it will !
  • Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Hi Wishing
    I am not sure what 13 step plan is but if you have set a target for April and you will feel better if you have hit your target, then I would do that and overpay the sling money as soon as you get it.

Although it makes more financial sense to overpay your mortgage, it won't make a huge difference. Personally looking at your circumstances, a young family with a small mortgage and still a long working life, I would look to keep some fluid savings for the next stages of your life...bigger house, another child or even look at starting to save towards the future ( university or retirement). It all happens much quicker than you think it will !

Thanks Busy, I'm going with reaching the target and pretending April finishes today.

The 13 step plan is 13 mini targets so that in 27 more months we are mortgage neutral. The idea being we have some fluid savings for a bigger house initially. (Money so that we'd don't have to add any fees or charges to the next mortgage)

I have already started saving for Pickle for the future and retirement planning is the next elephant we need to tackle,

Thanks for your thoughts. It confirmed what I thought I would do.

Wish
  • A nsd today woo hoo, had to happen sometime, Pickle and I made wrap pizzas from the left over BBQ veggies and cheese from yesterday. I'm feeli pretty rotten, glands the size of golf balls an an incredibly sore throat. So my plan for this evening is to do my end of the month financial round ups, go in the bath for a relax and the. An early night. Sod the chores! (Need to meal plan, can I do that in the bath?)

Following up my conversation/post earlier, I've decided to ditch the 'extra' from the mop pot Andrea put it into my 13 step plan (step 3- wage storage buffer) so that target is now achieved. I'll round up my monthly spends in the next post.

Had a lovely evening one and all.
    Wish.

mse April Goals

Extra target:£0.18 /£196.83

2) 13 Step plan funding
    return off set pot to pre new fix level £542.62/£542.62 :j

3) nsds
    13/16

4) 1p a day challenge
    33/30 :j

5) use the debit card

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure