Third-Life Crisis

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Oh I so feel for you, having been through exactly the same thing! It's so rubbish when you realise exactly how far is ahead and how much there is to do.

I can't exactly preach about what you should do - I do so many things that I 'shouldn't' according to received MSE wisdom, but I would encourage you to think carefully about whether just doing the minimum at this stage is the right decision. I know it doesn't feel like it, but life at the moment is easier than it's going to be any time in the next few years, or possibly ever again (I am assuming here that you are not suffering from something like Hyperemesis, in which case life will get a lot easier when you give birth, rather than harder!), especially if you might have more than one child. You are earning your full salary, you only have you and DH to look after, feed, clothe and entertain, and you have the 'new' factor of debt repayment - there is still probably stuff you can trim from your budget at this stage. Know your limits, don't go full throttle, but maybe consider going just that tiny bit further than the bare minimum at the beginning. Rather than three months living within your means and paying minimums, I would give yourselves one month, and start on overpayments in month 2. The overpaying isn't going to get any easier or less depressing, it's one of those eat the frog moments, and having done absolutely everything I could do avoid doing it myself, and can honestly say that I needed to eat the darn frog in order to see beyond it and start looking sideways at my debt and working out what our priorities really were, rather than what I thought they were or wanted them to be - mine are different from many MSE-ers, and yours may well be different again, but I really don't think it's possible to truly identify them until you've stripped everything away and felt the pain of making some serious repayments.

I would also point out that while you may cope magnificently with parenthood, you might not. I completely and utterly didn't with my first, and our first few months were spent doing whatever it took to get through, and making anything more than minimum debt repayment would have been 100% beyond me. I needed daily little pick me ups - cafe trip, magazine, book, nice health food, whatever - just to keep me going for the endless hours of figuring out looking after a baby, and I have no doubt that ramping up my debt stress at that stage (by trying to make overpayments) would have pushed me over the edge into PND.

We are also looking at a long term debt repayment plan (we will add to our debt significantly next year with an extension), so will be looking at 10 years plus of this performance, so I don't say any of the above lightly, and I know exactly how awful a huge debt figure feels. My current solution is to look at short term goals (getting below the next hundred barrier, or making £30 in overpayments in a month, or having a new thing to save for, or whatever) and just completely forget about the bigger picture beyond the occasional check in to make sure things are on track. But it might be that my motivator changes at some stage - I seem to come up with new schemes on pretty much a weekly basis in order to trick myself into keeping going, one way or another, and I think that's ok, as long as it keeps going.

Having read that back, it is possibly the least positive and encouraging DFD post ever written, and I'm sorry, I know it sucks, I've been (still am) in your shoes.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you both for your thoughts.

I've been pondering away all day and think perhaps we're trying to do everything at once and it's too much. Maybe we just need to focus on changing one or two things at a time? I thought maybe some long term planning might help and keeping track of key milestones:

Months 0-3 (Apr-Jun)
    - Do not add to debt
    - Pay only minimum towards all debts
    - Track spending to work out where we're over spending/not allocating enough and adjust budget
    - Track OH income as it should go up a decent amount
    - Save £300pm for maternity leave

Months 4-9 (Jul-Jan)
    - Maternity leave starts
    - Try to stick within budget/pots
    - Try to make overpayments towards debts (work out which to tackle first)
    - Continue saving £300pm for maternity leave

Months 10-15 (Feb-Jul)
    - Full time maternity pay ends (manage on savings/SMP)
    - Work out plan for going back to work/childcare
    - Saving ends, add more to the emergency fund pot

Months 16-21 (Aug-Jan)
    - Back to work
    - New budget needed
    - Mum paid off saving £100pm

Months 22 onwards (Feb 2020 onwards)
    - Both loans paid off freeing up £725pm (£403 Jan/£322 May)
    - FIL paid off saving £100pm

After doing some quick sums, paying the minimum on the credit cards only would take us nearly 8 years to pay them off!! So obviously we need to start overpaying as soon as possible but I think what's most important first is to stop adding to the debt and work out how to live within our means. Would everyone agree?

Yes, I would agree that this is a way of moving forward. Paying the minimums, not adding to the debt and living within budget are all good first steps. If possible though I would set the payment just a few pounds over the minimums especially if you are paying interest and don't decrease as the balance goes down.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 April 2018 at 11:32PM
    Options
    Hi I have been reading your story and you are doing well. Actually I too would suggest making just a little more than the minimum repayments, I think it improves your credit score so that in time you might be able to refinance at better interest rates.

If you only pay the minimum then it looks as if you are struggling to keep up so you are less likely to get offered the better deals.

And please do not put too much pressure on yourself when the baby comes. As others have said a first baby can be quite a culture shock and you never know how things will pan out, I had a poorly baby and also PND and it made sticking to a tight budget extremely difficult. You might need room to manoeuvre.

Try not to think too much about the long haul, just break it down into interim goals.

When my kids were small and we were struggling my husband got a bit disheartened, he was 34 and we were in debt and getting nowhere. We drew up a budget and set ourselves a target of being debt free by the time he was 40. We actually made it by the time he was 37. We found it hard going at first but after a while it just became easier and we were able to forge ahead.

Pay a bit more now whilst you can, it will give you a head start and a bit of wriggle room for if things get difficult after the baby is born.
  • Goingroundincircles
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your thoughts. I'm about to leave the house to take the dog for more x-rays to see what's going and what to do next. Because the policy renewed in Jan we'll be covered again, up to a certain point! But I wanted to say thank you and that I really do appreciate all your comments. TOPM you're right - not everyone will always agree with our decisions and we have to do what we think is best for us, but it certainly helps to get some opinions first, you know just incase we're about to do something spectacularly stupid!

A quick update; thanks to your advice I've set all our CC payments above the minimum. I rounded everything up to the nearest £5, so roughly £25 extra pm in total. This will also help with budgeting as we'll know the exact amount we'll be paying each month.

I've also now got two budgets. One very minimum one if money is super tight and another for if OH brings in more to show which pots to allocate it to and in which priority.

AND I've started some return to work after maternity leave budgets :eek: i've got one for when I go back next Aug. I've based it on a sort of worst case childcare scenario being that I'll use one days annual leave each week until christmas, my mum will do 2 days and I'll pay for 2 days.
    I've then got two new versions from Jan 2020 which account for the £400 finishing but perhaps going part time. One 4 days pw and one 3 days pw. Again a worst case of paying for 2 days childcare.
    Doing these has made me feel a million times better as I can now see that all the basic outgoings/pots can be covered and with a small amount for baby related things too.

So all in all feeling more positive now and I can just leave all the those forward planning budgets to one side for a few months whilst we focus on no more CC spending and sticking to our budget :j
  • Goingroundincircles
    Options
    (I am assuming here that you are not suffering from something like Hyperemesis

I did for the first three months. Life was unbearable. I couldn't stand the smell of my OH, the dog or the bedsheets. I couldn't even wash or feed myself. Luckily I am now only sick occasionally but have a whole list of other pregnancy related problems that I won't bore you with. So I am definitely aware (and partly suspecting) that things won't be easy for a while again come Jul/Aug! Fingers crossed it's a breeze though!!

Which reminds me, do you (or anyone else) know about tax free childcare? I read somewhere that the government pays back £2 for every £8 you spend? Is this true?
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Taxfree child care is awesome (if you are self employed, or one of you are. )
    We use it for pickle's childcare, I pay £86 a month, government tops it up to £105 a week. It's fab.

You have to earn over a certain amount a week (about £125 I think) and you can't be receiving any tax credits - there's an online eligibility thing if you google tax free childcare.

It works like a bank account - you pay money in, government adds the 'interest' then you can do manual or automatic payments to your child care provider.

What I love about it is, my budgeting works monthly, Childminder wants paying weekly, so I have a standing order go from my account to tax free childcare on the first of each month and a payment set up every Monday from the childcare account to the Childminder.

I know, if you are both eligible to childcare vouchers, this system isn't as good, but because your Oh is self employed, like mine. It works brilliantly.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I did for the first three months. Life was unbearable. I couldn't stand the smell of my OH, the dog or the bedsheets. I couldn't even wash or feed myself. Luckily I am now only sick occasionally but have a whole list of other pregnancy related problems that I won't bore you with. So I am definitely aware (and partly suspecting) that things won't be easy for a while again come Jul/Aug! Fingers crossed it's a breeze though!!

Which reminds me, do you (or anyone else) know about tax free childcare? I read somewhere that the government pays back £2 for every £8 you spend? Is this true?

My DD uses the tax free childcare scheme. I think she pays in around £400 and the government pays £100 and the nursery gets paid from that account. She says it works well. Sympathies re the pregnancy symptoms. My DD is currently in hospital at 35 weeks pregnant with her DD2 with high blood pressure and pre eclampsia. I had it too with her and she had it with her first. The sickness sounds awful.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Goingroundincircles
    Options
    Thanks both, the tax free childcare scheme definitely sounds like the way ahead for us!

enthusiasticsaver, how is your DD? Sorry to hear she's in hospital. Hope you are all doing ok.
  • Goingroundincircles
    Options
    Can't believe I haven't posted for so long...

It's been an interesting couple of weeks.

Husband has been working 7 days a week recently, which is great for May's budget (he's already earnt more than enough for our 'basic budget' with a week of April still left) but it means we've barely seen each other recently. He usually cooks but since he's been getting home late either I have to, we don't really eat or we order takeaway (had pizza this week). With this in mind I need to make sure that the food shopping consists of easy things I am happy to make. I don't enjoy cooking, except roast on a Sunday, but otherwise we aren't eating well. The food shopping budget has also gone out the window, cash gone but still two weekends left to shop.

I've also got the shopping bug. I think it was bought on by dad offering to buy as baby things but then giving us the cash instead. If he'd had ordered the items I may not have got the taste for it. I have finally started selling the pile of things in the spare room so hopefully I will be able to recoup my shopping costs.

Looking at the budget for the rest of April it looks like we're about £220 short. I'm so annoyed with myself. BUT I had squirrelled away money for the other half's 30th birthday next month and a few days by the coast (MIL has a lodge we can use free of charge) plus we're due £150 back from the pet insurers. So it looks as though we'll be using that to cover the shortfall and then hoping there is enough spare in May's budget for the birthday/holiday. There definitely should be but I want to allocate some to savings/debt first.

Looking forward to seeing a few extra pounds in my pay packet this month and also remembered that in Aug I will be due our 0.1% pay rise and bonus. Every little really does help.

One thing I've realised, and I think realistically is the main reason our debt got so out of control, is that I like to spend money before I've actually got it. When I know money is due in sometime in the near future, whether it's cashback, a bonus or whatever, I think it's ok to do/buy something on the credit card for example and that I will pay it back. But this never happens for one reason or another. So my new rule, is to not do this. We can only spend money when we physically have it in our hands/account.

A small positive, is that we haven't touched the credit cards this month!

I think that's all for now. Must post more regularly so I don't get off track again.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Ha, that is so familiar! I am the queen of spending money before I've got it and always used to put something on the card to pay off later, only to find that 'later' there was some other emergency expense that cropped up. Even now that I don't do it, I've mentally allocated every bit of anticipated money three times over, and I'm always disappointed that I can only spend it once when it comes in, and end up feeling short changed. Even a year in I have constant reminders from the sensible people who read my diary reminding me not to mentally allocate extra money when I'm blithely doing it without even realising.

Are you £220 short even with DH's extra income this month? Or is that set aside for May? I'm not quite sure how you're managing his income at the moment. If he's earned enough for the basic budget in May, can you use anything else he earns this month to cover April's shortfall instead of raiding May's pots?

Regular posting is the only reason we are making progress on our debt. I am amazingly good at deluding myself when I don't have my little team of MSE Jiminy Crickets telling me what I should be doing! I usually post a couple of times a day (my early morning post is just part of my morning routine now), which is mad and takes time, but does keep me on the straight and narrow.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure