Cats damaging garden fence and pooing in my garden

2»

Comments

• trigger_fish
    trigger_fish Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kuepper wrote: »
    "Oh, and if your fence panels really fall to bits because of cats, I'd hate to think what the force of a 65mph wind would do to them!"

They withstand the wind fine, it's the tops of the panels that have been ruined by the cats over the past few months, there's no 'if' about it

In the past I have seen a 'cat prickler.' Rubber strip that you lay on top of fence/wall with 'pricklers' that they don't like treading on.

That's the theory anyway but cats are clever.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Davesnave wrote: »
    We have these questions about cats every year.

There are dozens of 'answers,' most of of which don't work, but people try them because they're too daft, poor or lazy to do things that will work.....or maybe the cats aren't really the huge problem they say they are.

I have chickens, badgers and foxes, not all together of course, because if the other two access the chickens, they're gone. So, I don't get any options, except to build a 100% fox/badger proof fence. I have and it works.

You can build a cat proof fence, but I cannot pretend it'll be cheap or pretty.
    Just a bit of bird netting on top of a typical fence would certainly help though.

Failing that, you can create what I have naturally for my cats, which is areas of dry, friable soil where the'd much rather 'go' than on other areas where digging is harder. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's better than an old lemonade bottle half full of water on the lawn, or scattering grapefruit skins around the place!

Oh, and if your fence panels really fall to bits because of cats, I'd hate to think what the force of a 65mph wind would do to them!

We don't have a problem with cats, but just puzzled about your reference about an old lemonade bottle. What's that about?
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought some of the cat scanner off ebay, about £20 each, the day I put them in I had zero mess,.. lasted for about 2 months or so, batteries ran out and immediately we had problems again.

I had about 4, 1 i think is now a bit knackered and the others have run out of battery, so only down side is you do have to keep replacing the batteries which I havent done so much through the winter, but now its getting nicer weather I am going to get them all working again,

Same here with my front lawn, the ultra sonic scare wasn't 100% effective but big improvement over the situation before.

Plus, you can use rechargeable batteries in them.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    z1a wrote: »
    We don't have a problem with cats, but just puzzled about your reference about an old lemonade bottle. What's that about?
    One of the things cats are supposed to be afraid of is a half-filled pop bottle lying somewhere conspicuous, like on the lawn.

As a cat owner, I think they might be suspicious of anything new and a little strange-looking, but they're far too smart to stay away for long.

They'll check it out at a distance and gradually move closer when it doesn't 'do' anything. Then they'll ignore it.

It's the same with the cat silhouettes....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Betterware-Weather-Proof-Cat-Scare/dp/B001QV4DW8

The really scary thing about these is that 41% of purchasers thought they were great. I know what my cats would think of them! :rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    kuepper wrote: »
    "Oh, and if your fence panels really fall to bits because of cats, I'd hate to think what the force of a 65mph wind would do to them!"

They withstand the wind fine, it's the tops of the panels that have been ruined by the cats over the past few months, there's no 'if' about it.
    Yes, they will sharpen claws on wood. Mine have a posh scratching post in the house and use it daily, but they still go outside and finish off on the wood around my deep beds!

Those deep beds are 9 years old, and while I can see where they've scratched, there isn't much damage. They also don't scratch in the places where I've added galvanised nails to put string lines across, so there's a clue.

I still I think my earlier suggestion of bird netting about 30cm high fixed along the top of the fence, using something like roofing battens as uprights, would probably help to deter jumping over and scratching. I do something similar on the top of my chicken fencing and foxes won't take it on, because it offers nothing substantial as a foothold.
  • trigger_fish
    Combo Breaker First Post
    z1a wrote: »

They see their reflection and think its another cat.

Doesn't work for long.
  • trigger_fish
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you really get into cat deterrent there are motion sensor activated water guns.

But it squirts at anything that moves quick enough.

Reminds me of the film aliens.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Prikka strip
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income