Too much interest or usual amount?

Hello,

I took out an 18 month £1000 loan with a monthly repayment amount of £225.

6 months later I have found out the total amount I have to repay is £4000.

The APR is 1008.5%

Is this a usual amount? It seems a lot to repay.

Thanks.

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    It's a ridiculous amount to repay.

I assume you have a problem with your credit history.

Not borrowing at all is the way forward.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's a ridiculous APR to agree to, but presumably you were happy enough with it at the time.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    So you were happy, presumably, when you took the loan out knowing that you would be paying £225 a month for 18 months?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You would have been told at the time that the total amount you had to repay would be £4,000. It's not the bank's fault it has taken you 6 months to read and/or understand this information.

Whether it's normal or not is now irrelevant. What is relevant is that 6 months ago, you agreed you were perfectly happy with it.
  • AstroTurtle
    AstroTurtle Posts: 290 Forumite
    words fail me
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • JetFighter_2
    JetFighter_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 9 April 2018 at 5:51PM
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    You would have been told at the time that the total amount you had to repay would be £4,000. It's not the bank's fault it has taken you 6 months to read and/or understand this information.

Whether it's normal or not is now irrelevant. What is relevant is that 6 months ago, you agreed you were perfectly happy with it.

It wasn't a bank. More like a high street loan shop. They never mentioned the full amount I had to repay. They did say it was £225 a month. They either said or I thought they said 12 payments. They never mentioned the number £4,000 at all. I know that. I would have queried that much.

And I'm not aware that this forum is for sanctimonious and irrelevant moralising. If you haven't got anything useful to post, then don't.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The fact that after paying back 4 payments to the total of £900 and you still had 8/14 more payments should have raised alarm bells. As has been said, the interest rate would make loan sharks blush.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Too late now, you are stuck.

I assume you are not elligible for a BT or 0% credit card?

If not, would be worthwhile asking them for a settlement amount then see if you can get a credit card with a limit around the figure quoted, getting a cash advance on the card and pay off the loan with it - the card interest rate, though likely to be high, will most certainly be far less than that of the loan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    See if you can get a credit card with cash transfer or a bank loan from somewhere else with a much lower APR and pay off the current loan with the new one. Even getting a sub-prime credit card with ridiculous interest rates in the 30-40% range, taking cash out of the cash machine and paying off the loan with that would be far cheaper.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Were you given any paperwork?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills