Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 23rd Jun 08, 8:22 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Why a specific armed forces board?
    • 23rd Jun 08, 8:22 PM
    Why a specific armed forces board? 23rd Jun 08 at 8:22 PM
    Hi

After a number of requests I decided it was time to open up an armed forces MoneySaving board for current and past members of the forces and their families.

The aim isn't to duplicate the rest of the forum and site, but far more to discuss those issues that are specific to members of the forces. Whether it be getting goods delivered overseas, the difficulty of getting life coverage, what's available when leaving the forces, specific discounts and how to get back to civilian life... I'm sure there are many more.

I hope it will help

All the best

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • lee634
    • 23rd Jun 08, 9:56 PM
    • 23rd Jun 08, 9:56 PM
    Martin

Thanks for allowing the forces board, Yes we in the military have our own forums to use, but there are many expert MoneySavers that may have a useful input
  • bonsibabe
    • 24th Jun 08, 12:34 AM
    • 24th Jun 08, 12:34 AM
    I second that Martin, thank you. It is harder when you live overseas to be MSE but it helps to have this site. And now it helps even more when we pads have "our own" forum where we can talk about issues that are unique to our situation.

Cheers mate!

D xx
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - 33390 - 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - 18500
    Current debt levels: OD 3860, Loan 1 6091, Loan 2 5052, Parents 260, Total 16133 As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 24th Jun 08, 1:04 AM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 3,939 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    • 24th Jun 08, 1:04 AM
    • 24th Jun 08, 1:04 AM
    Can we make this hidden unless logged in.?

If we were to say some 'stuff', it can be seen by anyone anywhere..
    • maytaurus
    • By maytaurus 24th Jun 08, 2:08 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 7,795 Thanks
    maytaurus
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:08 AM
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:08 AM

• weegie.geek
    • By weegie.geek 24th Jun 08, 2:18 AM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    weegie.geek
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:18 AM
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:18 AM
    If it wasn't hidden all they'd have to do was login to see it, so it's not much of a shield against whatever it is you're worried about.

Also, if google wasn't able to access this bit of the forum, therefore was unable to access it, it'd be harder for people to find the site and the useful info it holds, which is kinda selfish of the people who're already here.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • johng_uk
    • 24th Jun 08, 10:39 AM
    • 24th Jun 08, 10:39 AM
    Cheers for the forum though Martin. Here's hoping it really takes off as it could prove useful to many!
    John

Life's too short.........
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 24th Jun 08, 1:50 PM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 24th Jun 08, 1:50 PM
    • 24th Jun 08, 1:50 PM
    Hi folks

I'd prefer to keep it open to all - that's the general site philiosophy apart from special cases - and as someone points out there are a good few hundred thousand people who login to the site anyway so nothign would be secret.

As for it taking off... it'll be going quite high up (for a forum board note ) in this weeks email so that may help...

Please do tell friends and colleagues about it though... I may contact BFBS about it in a few weeks as I've done stuff there before

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 24th Jun 08, 2:30 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 3,939 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:30 PM
    • 24th Jun 08, 2:30 PM
    I wonder how long before the site is blocked by the IGS system, in work or restricted to certain times (6pm for eBay etc).
    • Randal
    • By Randal 24th Jun 08, 6:13 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Randal
    I kind of agree with the hidden bit if it were at all possible. There are many 'perks' to being in the military and I've known civilians who have used the 'I'm in the military' scenario to get a discount etc when a shop employee has been too lazy to check their id.

We all know that by letting out the trade 'secrets' the system could get abused which will spoil it for all of us.

As for the IGS bit, could be damm inconvenient - it didn't take them long to block e-bay!!!
  • darcyvuqua
    im just wondering why the rest of the uk are on strike over pay issues the british forces are left out to dry we work hard fight hard and play hard and we seem to be the one that are paid the least do we strike

hell no this government need to address these situations and fast
    you cant change yesterday
    but you can make tomorrow better
  • darcyvuqua
    sorry rant over thanks martin for the forces thread xxxxx
    you cant change yesterday
    but you can make tomorrow better
  • Ice
    thanks martin for this ....although I am no longer in the armed forces I am still in the civilian forces and find this site very useful...although the IGS will most probably kick in soon it is for your own safety...
    and I agree that the government should pay you guys alot more than a nornal job cos your jobs arent nornal everyday jobs...

stay safe
    good luck
    guys & gals

Plans for 2009
    1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK!
    contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.
  • johng_uk
    I wonder how long before the site is blocked by the IGS system, in work or restricted to certain times (6pm for eBay etc).
    Originally posted by Alias_Omega
    Here's hoping never!
    John

Life's too short.........
  • peterpants
    Hi folks

I'd prefer to keep it open to all - that's the general site philiosophy apart from special cases - and as someone points out there are a good few hundred thousand people who login to the site anyway so nothign would be secret.

As for it taking off... it'll be going quite high up (for a forum board note ) in this weeks email so that may help...

Please do tell friends and colleagues about it though... I may contact BFBS about it in a few weeks as I've done stuff there before

martin
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Martin, could I suggest you get in contact with the site admins at ARRSE, RumRation and egoat (the unofficial sites of the three services, and extremely popular and useful) with a view to establishing a permanent link and to promote your forum?

Pete
    Doc it hurts when I do this.Well, don't do that.
    • Marker
    • By Marker 25th Jun 08, 12:18 PM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 3,974 Thanks
    Marker
    I am a member of 'the ones left behind' type of site so I will let them know about this board as Im sure it will prove to be very useful.

Great idea making this seperate and in its own board.
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum
    Tesco - 1000 , Carpet - 20, Barclaycard - 50, HSBC - 50 + Car - 1700
    SAVED =0
    Debts - 2850
  • charlie42bravo
    Martin, could I suggest you get in contact with the site admins at ARRSE, RumRation and egoat (the unofficial sites of the three services, and extremely popular and useful) with a view to establishing a permanent link and to promote your forum?

Pete
    Originally posted by peterpants
    There is also the official sites such as rncom.mod.uk, which are very heavily supported and I'm sure the people who I work with who run this site would be happy to include a link.
  • Polly_Pod
    thanks for making this board - its a great idea and will be really appreciated
    2010 - nothing as we emigrated to Australia!!!
  • teebrown
    Thanks
    excellent idea, I have passed this web address around all my military friends, all around the world - thanks for thinking of us Martin, I am sure we will gain tons of advice on this site.

Well done
  • melb2902
    HI,

what a fab idea.

Army life is tough financially. We have just had to move with 3 weeks notice (you don't get any choice when you are in the army) and of course with that I have lost my job. Now we are hundreds of pounds down each month - there are no jobs where we have moved too.

ANY top tips for saving while being in the army is a huge reward for some of the negative things we have to deal with, that civilians do not always have to.

Thanks for your support Martin, its not something we always get.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

1,684Users online

Martin's Twitter