Car Insurance Not My Car

Options
Hello

My daughter (20) owns and insures her own car however in September she will be going to university and will not be taking her car. She wants to keep the car because she will have an industrial placement for her third year and will probably need to use her car for that.

She has suggested that I could use her car for the first two years she is at university and insure it in my name. She will not be using the car at all during that time. However I can't find a company to insure me if I am not the owner and registered keeper of the car. Does anyone know of a company who will?

I am over 55, female, have no convictions or claims and a protected NCD on the car my husband owns and uses to drive to work - the policy is in my name.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Why not be a named driver on your daughter's policy?

Otherwise see if a local broker ( not Swinton) can help find cover in your name

You won't be able to use your protected NCD mentioned as it's already in use
  • Song
    Song Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    She's young and had an accident - her insurance is too expensive, I don't want to pat that much for a car I will only use occasionally and she can't afford it on a student loan.

We live in a small town and don't have a local broker - tried one nearby but they insist that I would have to be the registered owner.

Looks like she will be selling the car or putting it in Gran's garage for two years!
  • Quentin
    Options
    If you did go on as a named driver then she would have 2 years NCD when she finishes uni. Assuming no claims of course!

But maybe only worth considering if the car is one she wants to keep for 3 years or more
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    She could just "sell" you the car and you "sell" it back to her when she wants it. 1 more name on the V5 won't make any difference.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Why not be a named driver on your daughter's policy?

Because the OP will be the main driver, so they can't simply be added as a named driver on the daughter's policy. Surely you aren't advocating insurance fraud?
  • Quentin
    Options
    No. As long as the main driver is notified there is no 'fraud'

The policyholder can nominate the main driver. (And has to when the policyholder is a company rather than a person!)
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    She should just give the car to you and register you as registered keeper. You can then just give her it back in two years and change the registered keeper back to being her.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    No. As long as the main driver is notified there is no 'fraud'

The policyholder can nominate the main driver. (And has to when the policyholder is a company rather than a person!)

Yes, they can, but that isn't what you advised. You said that they should just get themselves added as a named driver on their daughter's policy. There is a big difference between that, and what you are now saying. You may have meant the latter explanation, but it isn't what you initially advised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure