£780k pot how much would you drawdown each year

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    jamesd wrote: »
    Both ISA and basic rate band are use it or lose it annual allowances and it appears that you should be trying to fully use both.

Agreed. Ditto seizing the chance to pay extra 17/18 contribution to his wife's pension.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 January 2018 at 4:13AM
    GSP wrote: »
    Pot was c£800k, took a lump sum out but it has already grown back again to the £780k figure. We must be in a very good period of pension growth given my fund has only been going 4 months.
    We've been in a good - bull - market for most of the time since early 2009. A great time to be invested. That growing back partly illustrates the challenge you have to stay clear of the lifetime allowance charge in the future.
    I have an end year pension statement which says I have used 10.6% LTA. Do you know if this okay at this stage, or needs addressing.
    Needs addressing to ensure you never go above 100%. £26.5k is a quarter of the crystallised amount so yes, £106k was the crystallised amount and that's 10.6% of the million Pound lifetime allowance that applied at the time. 89.5% to go before you start paying an extra 20% or 40% tax on later withdrawing, with no tax free lump sum when above it either.

The current £780k would include about £106k - £38k = £68k of crystallised money unless you have a split out value for that part. So about £712k uncrystallised and that would use 71.2% of a million Pound lifetime allowance, taking you to 10.6% + 71.2% = 81.8% of the lifetime allowance. That's perilously close.

Say you crystallised no more and saw 5% growth. You'd go over the 89.5% you have left in just over five years (25.7% growth to go over). I assume you're planning to live a lot more than five years and it's fairly urgent to act fairly soon to avoid that.

Say you crystallised half of the £712k now. That'd be £356k crystallised using 35.6% of the lifetime allowance. Uncrystallised you'd have £356k (35.6% of the lifetime allowance) and 53.9% unused lifetime allowance. That's a much healthier position. ( 53.9 / 35.6 - 1 ) * 100 = 51.4% growth to go over. At 5% a year that takes 9 years instead of 5 years to go over. Still pretty close, though.

What if you crystallised three quarters instead, £534k? That would use 53.5% more lifetime allowance and leave you with £178k uncrystallised and 100% - 10.6% - 53.5% = 36% of the lifetime allowance available. ( 36 / 17.8 -1 ) * 100 = 102% growth to go over. That takes 15 years at 5%. Still looking like you'll eventually go over and that's before allowing for any growth on the crystallised part for the age 75 check.

So, what to do?

1. US stock markets are at a cyclically adjusted price/earnings ratio that's correlated with a one in four chance of a big drop. Drops are good for lifetime allowance calculation because each allowance percentage gets out a bigger percentage of your money. You're not selling low because you just buy outside the pension what you sold inside.

2. But you don't want to wait a long time because growth will take you over if you give it time.

So I suggest that you consider crystallising with 25% of the lifetime allowance each year. That gives a fair chance for a handy big drop but doesn't wait too long if one doesn't come along. If a big drop comes along, exploit it by crystallising all that remains.

Next posts cover the tougher challenge of the growth in the crystallised money and tax effects of the money outside the pension.
  • jamesd
    So, on to the crystallised pot and the tougher challenge of having the growth in this take you over the remaining unused lifetime allowance when you reach 75. The first part of that is crystallising early enough so you have lots of unused lifetime allowance. You can do some of that but starting to crystallise earlier helps and the pensions freedoms make that easier. I'll be crystallising about 100% of my pensions at 55 to save as much lifetime allowance as possible for crystallised pot growth.

You can start out by planning to take taxable money with your whole basic rate band. It won't be enough but it'a a start. VCT or EIS buying can cover the tax on that.

But you won't have enough basic rate band available to do the job. I think someone else mentioned the workaround for that: you take out twice the basic rate band for a while. Half taxed at 20% and half at 40% is neatly covered by VCT 30% relief. Do that for a few years and you'll get yourself plenty of safety margin.
  • jamesd
    edited 3 January 2018 at 4:42AM
    Now the money outside the pension. Lots of tools for this.

1. Give money to a spouse, they have their own tax allowances to benefit from.
    2. Annual capital gains tax allowance. Use it every year by selling something that went up and buying something almost identical. That wayyou don't accumulate huge gains.
    3. Two ISA allowances, fully use them every year.
    4. Dividend allowance.
    5. Personal savings allowance and for your wife, starter rate for savings. Your income will be too high for the starter rate.
    6. VCT dividends are tax exempt, a handy feature. No CGT either.
    7. VCT and maybe EIS buying if there is any tax due.

This takes more thinking about than when the money is in a pension but using ISAs and the allowances and reliefs you should be able to keep to a tax cost that's almost zero.

Inheritance planning comes into play as well. Pensions are normally outside the estate and treated well at death. At least under current rules. But you have to be dead to give and it's hard to enjoy others benefitting from your generosity when you're dead. I trend to prefer the idea of giving while alive.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    jamesd, do you sleep? :)
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I can't believe all this information. Thanks so much jamesd. I don't know what a lot of it means at this stage, but will take it line by line.

Does this mean I actually have to spend a million pounds before I was taxed for exceeding the allowance?
    Also, would should my IFA know all this information you have posted? He will be retiring himself in the next five years, maybe sooner. I wonder what his appetite is for coming up with advice of this magnitude, and a plan.

As for westv's comment, I should be the one awake all night.
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Sorry just bumping this thread one time as had a couple of questions in my last post and in case jamesd is around as he has been nocturnal lately.
    Thanks
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    westv wrote: »
    jamesd, do you sleep? :)

I suspect that none of the three or four jamesds sleep.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • goRt
    goRt Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't believe all this information. Thanks so much jamesd. I don't know what a lot of it means at this stage, but will take it line by line.

Does this mean I actually have to spend a million pounds before I was taxed for exceeding the allowance?
    Also, would should my IFA know all this information you have posted? He will be retiring himself in the next five years, maybe sooner. I wonder what his appetite is for coming up with advice of this magnitude, and a plan.

As for westv's comment, I should be the one awake all night.

The statement relating to £1m isn't factually correct, it's close.
    Spend is the wrong term, withdraw is the correct term, but still not the correct measure.

LTA is correct, however it is tested at various benefit crystallisation events (bce), in attempting to simplify things for you interpretation errors have occurred, statements made in good faith have then been selected out of context.
    This is an area too complex for a forum and you should seek professional advice, use pension Wise's free facility or read and digest this:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pension-schemes-value-your-pension-for-lifetime-allowance-protection

I did post up the correct position earlier in this thread but was ignored.
    As a tax payer, it's your responsibility to get this right.
  • goRt
    goRt Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry just bumping this thread one time as had a couple of questions in my last post and in case jamesd is around as he has been nocturnal lately.
    Thanks

To follow on from my post. The simple/safe approach is to take your 25% PCLS now which crystallises your entire pot. Then bleed off from the SIPP all the fund growth each and every year. That way you avoid the issue on the LTA test at 75.
    This applies to people with 'large' funds like yourself.

How to shelter the withdrawn monies and how to withdraw tax efficiently every year are secondary to the need to withdraw.

The more complex option involves annual withdrawals (25% PCLS is always taken) to balance the 220k left below the £1m, guessing future CPI increases to the LTA and future fund growth - way too high risk/complex for here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure