Co-operative Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• bebewoo
    bebewoo Posts: 622 Forumite
    I just switched from Spark to the Co-op.
    The switch was very smooth, it took about six weeks.
    They kept me updated by email, and sent me details of the exact date the they would be requesting switchover from Spark. This came in very handy, as I rang up Spark the day before to pay my account up to that date. I had heard that Spark try to keep you by claiming that you have outstanding debts, but that was not possible for them this time, as I was completely not owing them a penny on the date of the switchover request.
    The actual switchover happened about four weeks after the switchover request to Spark.
    The Coop did not take closing readings from Spark and estimated them, but that worked out OK for me.
    I have only rung the Coop once, and was on hold for about 10 minutes, but the information system does tell you the position in the queue so you can abandon the call if the queue is long. The operative I spoke to was helpful and knew his stuff, it was just an enquiry about meter readings.
    No problems so far, but early days, I have only been with them a month. Their prices are low, not the lowest, but reasonable, so I will stick with them if the service is good.
  • newman11
    newman11 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Icelady wrote: »
    I'm mindful it could take a while but I've switched via e-mail this morning so let's see how long it really takes.

How much was your saving Icelady and who are you switching from?
  • newman11
    bebewoo wrote: »
    I just switched from Spark to the Co-op.

Did you switch both gas and elec? can i ask what the saving was?
  • newman11
    Here is a useful bit of info from the co-op site for people thinking of changing, there maybe a price increase in a couple of months. So any savings that you see now might be a lot less in 2 months but that all depends on how much they increase and what the other companies do etc....

"To give our customers certainty and peace of mind at a time of year when energy bills are rising, we are promising not to increase our prices until Spring 2013 (15 April 2013 to be precise) at the earliest"
  • Paul_01
    Paul_01 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    newman11 wrote: »
    How much cheaper were they and who are you switching from?

Sorry, I hadn't noticed your question.

It was about a 20% saving compared to EON.
  • newman11 wrote: »
    Here is a useful bit of info from the co-op site for people thinking of changing, there maybe a price increase in a couple of months. So any savings that you see now might be a lot less in 2 months but that all depends on how much they increase and what the other companies do etc....

"To give our customers certainty and peace of mind at a time of year when energy bills are rising, we are promising not to increase our prices until Spring 2013 (15 April 2013 to be precise) at the earliest"

Oh no :(

I'm just in the process of switching to Coop from nPower. Just had my welcome pack and therefore the cooling off period has just started.
    Big mistake ??
  • Paul_01
    Paul_01 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Phosphoric wrote: »
    Oh no :(

I'm just in the process of switching to Coop from nPower. Just had my welcome pack and therefore the cooling off period has just started.
    Big mistake ??

I doubt it. The quote relates to a fixed term ending - so its simply guaranteeing that prices won't be put up before this date. It doesn't mean prices will definitely go up on this date.

Looking at Coop's track record they don't have a history of alarming increases in price. They seem pretty steady to me.

I wouldn't worry if I was you. I'm at the same stage (within my cooling off period) and I'm happy to continue with the switch.
  • newman11 wrote: »

And guess what? They are increasing their prices on 15 April!
  • I initiated a change from Southern Electric to Co-operative Energy nearly a month ago. A letter arrived today, dated the 12th of February, -

'we are increasing our prices for new customers who switch to Co-operative Energy on or after 12th February 2013. Our electricity prices will increase by 9.0% and our gas prices will increase by 8.5%.'

Blah blah blah 'You do not need to take any action as a result of this letter.'

Since they hadn't bothered to send me anything before this letter, I haven't officially switched yet, so I will be stuck with the higher prices. How nice for them. :mad:
    PPI on Natwest loan, Barclayloan, MBNA credit card, and Mortgagecare all repaid just for asking in 2012/2013!

Barclaycard - PPI refund refused 26/01/13, ombudsman upheld 12 May 2014, Barclays resisted until March 2015 - FOS say Barclays are calculating an offer, they have 8 weeks.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 February 2013 at 12:24PM
    But a month ago they wouldn't have made the decision to increase their prices anyway...
    If you object to the increase, you can initiate another switch the day you go on supply with them, as long as you are prepared to pay any ETC applying.
    If you pick a variable tariff, the price can rise at any time. If you want to avoid this, pick a fixed tariff.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport