nPower vs Bulb (dual fuel)

2»

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am aware of that.
    However npower no longer offer competive prices.
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just a word on my experience with Bulb, they make right mess of your payments if you change bank accounts....
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • pooch wrote: »
    How are you going to make a potential saving of £300+ when you would appear to be considering moving to a more expensive supplier/tariff, both in terms of unit charges and standing charges??? :huh:

Or is there a £300+ discount included in the Bulb tariff that you have not informed us about?
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Do follow this advice
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/
    to find the best deals available to you.
    Also do consider seperate suppliers, as that can often save you much more than any dual fuel supplier (even with dual fuel discount)

As can be deduced from above, the £300 saving was made using post-fixed rate tariffs, i.e. post August.
  • Smodlet wrote: »
    Fifth, that is an MSE hook-in for those dumb enough to be on any provider's Standard Variable Tariff. They really, really should put the word "potentially" in there, prominently. It does not apply to those of us, like you, who are smart enough to find the best tariff we can for our circumstances.

The whole trouble with this money saving lark is diminishing returns: Once you have done all the price comparisons, found the cheapest energy/insurance/yellow sticker/whatever deals you can, there ain't much left to do other than find ways to boost your income.

Good hunting.

Yep. A small cashback payment is about the only true benefit I've gained from and even that is closer to a cashflow topic that cash gain. Yet so much competition is supposedly good for the customer All other things being equal (e.g. prices) choice of supplier is good, isn't it?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 June 2018 at 11:50AM
    Yep. A small cashback payment is about the only true benefit I've gained from and even that is closer to a cashflow topic that cash gain. Yet so much competition is supposedly good for the customer All other things being equal (e.g. prices) choice of supplier is good, isn't it?

Choice of supplier is good inasmuch as we can find the cheapest possible tariff for our area. I think the downside, such as it is, is that we are all paying for all these comparison sites. The "cashback" is money we paid to our suppliers in the first place so they can pay the comparison sites, which then pay us. It pushes up the prices we pay to our suppliers... But no, I do not miss the days of BG for gas and whichever regional leccy board for juice as they could charge whatever they liked. I do miss the herds of stegosaurus roaming majestically across the plains, though.
  • Have received notification from nPower about the end of my current fixed price deal end of August. Has anyone found attractive offers from any suppliers recently?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Will give you offers applicable to your region
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    doubleug wrote: »
    Other issues..
    1) If you do actually switch--how comfortable are you that the process will be smooth? I've done it twice and on each occasion it has taken ages with multiple obtuse phone calls both to the old and the new company.

Then you have been rather unucky. Most switches go through without issue.

I have switched around 20 times (nearly always use a different supplier for gas and electricity) and have not had a single problem with any of them.

There are too many scare stories on this site about switching, even though problems only occur in a minority of cases.
    2) You need to know if you are up to date with past (unpaid) usage and take into account accurate meter reads, plus any available credit from existing monthly direct debits. Also--take note that your on line Npower account may not be up to date and could well be displaying historically inaccurate information.

I don't understand what you are talking about here.
    3) Do Bulb have a good reputation for day to day management, accurate billing/meter reading processes and a reliable on line website. Are they a robust company unlikely to "go under"

Yes, Bulb do have a decent reputation for customer service (although I have never used them).

It is up to the customer to supply regular meter readings. If you do that then you will be billed for the energy you use. The only thing to double check is that the calculations for gas are being done correctly, i.e. whether they are using the correct metric or imperial conversion. This is true with every supplier.

There isn't much that a customer can do to check the financials of suppliers, but there is no reason to suspect that Bulb are in difficulty. Furthermore, should they fail, there is a well-establishd process for transferring customers to a new provider with all credit balances protected.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Npower are no longer cheap. Check out eon edf etc.

Or, more sensibly, do a whole of market comparison using actual usage figures, rather than limiting yourself to the big six!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have received notification from nPower about the end of my current fixed price deal end of August. Has anyone found attractive offers from any suppliers recently?

I did. NPower came up with one in the nick of time but you could get it only from comparison sites such as the CEC. It is called the Broker Exclusive Fix July 2019. EDF and SSE were slightly cheaper but we are talking a tenner a year; so not worth the hassle.

I have just checked the CEC and it is no longer there but they have an August version instead; not quite such good rates but close. The only cheaper ones are as above. HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure