Sainsburys disability discrimination

Comments

• UN17ED
    UN17ED Posts: 453
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Labsuper wrote: »
    Sainsbury's would ban anyone (with or without a disability) who behaved the way the daughter does so there is no discrimination.

What behaviour is that?
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    UN17ED wrote: »
    What behaviour is that?

The behaviour you led everyone to believe she was using. (wiping products etc.)

You come across as very argumentative and im sure there is more to the issue with Sainsburys than you have told us.

Why did the member of staff need to touch her groceries at the till and why did they spray her stuff?
  • UN17ED
    Forumite
    baza52 wrote: »
    OP, would it not be easier if YOU did her shopping and then your daughter could clean everything once it was home?

I can understand your daughter not wanting customers and staff around her if her OCD is bad but i can also understand the shop wanting to be sure that no items are being concealed and stolen. A scenario like thins would leave them open to theft.

What would you do if you were the manager of this store? how would you handle the situation?

As we were being watched as we were going around the store both by staff on the shop floor and upstairs through the cctv then they would be able to see that no items were being concealed or hidden and at anytime they could have asked and we would have gladly let them look in her trolley and pockets etc but it would mean my daughter would have to empty her trolley and start again.

If I was the manager I would be unhappy that staff who are being paid to work were instead belittling customers even after being made aware she suffered a severe mental illness and would have made the shopping trip for my daughter as stress free as possible but I was trained in customer service and would be ashamed that staff were putting the name of the company in a bad light.
  • UN17ED
    Forumite
    NBLondon wrote: »
    It clearly does sound as if the OP's daughter has a pretty severe condition and isn't really getting that much help in dealing with it - and this is probably stressful for the OP as well. But it isn't reasonable to expect a shop to accommodate every aspect of the behaviour - and when that may be impacting on other customers, it can't be ignored.

What does it matter to another customer if my daughter doesn't just pick up the first item on a shelf and move on?

I don't know what other behaviour wouldbe deemed as impacting other customers.
  • I thought this thread had died a death. I re read the OP and have read the last page or two. How the story seems to change.....
  • UN17ED
    Forumite
    Smodlet wrote: »
    OMG, marliepanda, you have reminded me of something funny at a time when I really need to laugh. Thank you. It goes something like this:

(Joyce Summers to her daughter, Buffy)
    "You want waffles?"

Buffy
    "No, but if you want them, I'll help you make them."

Joyce
    "No, they only don't have calories when I make them for you."

(Buffy looks confused)

To the OP, if we all stopped and considered just how filthy supermarket (and probably all other) food, certainly food packaging, is we would all stop eating. Chicken packaging is covered in salmonella, for instance; how can it not be? Panic not, people, so long as normal hygiene is observed at home and meat is cooked properly, there is no risk to healthy individuals. It is what soap and water is for.

Does anyone really think supermarket products are stored any differently to products bought online? They are kept in warehouses, not in sterile, clinical conditions and no, supermarket workers do not wash their hands after loading up a pallet and before stacking a (thoroughly sterilised) shelf (I've been one)

All the dust and dirt from the warehouse is right there, on the shelves, on the food whether it comes from a store or is bought online from a warehouse. It could even be argued that fewer people have handled it if bought online: It did not have to be loaded and unloaded yet again before being bought and transported back to a customer's home.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

Apart from stating the bloody obvious does that make any difference to people like my daughter who suffer with this illness?

Indeed it would make a difference in a negative way so I don't think I will pass that information on to her as it's bad enough as it is.
  • UN17ED
    Forumite
    biscit wrote: »
    Hmm... I can imagine that happening. I'm not OCD but I would be a little miffed if a hasty colleague didn't take enough care to respect my personal space when cleaning the tills. Also if they came poking about in my shopping.

Taking your version on face value,It sounds like her OCD made her over react, not react unreasonably.

Over react? Any reaction would be when we were out of the shop where she would cry because even to a "normal" person like yourself who said you would be miffed.
  • UN17ED
    Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    I think the point about OCD which is being missed slightly is that it's not rational and people can't be reasoned out of it by presenting them with sensible arguments. Most people with OCD are fully aware that what they are doing is over the top and extremely damaging to themselves but the need for the ritual and combatting the repetitive intrusive thoughts can't easily be resisted due to the extreme anxiety that causes.
    I stand by my original post about the supermarket not having to make the adjustments the OP would like, but I'm fairly sure the OPs daughter knows already that what is being said about packaging etc is correct. What she needs is proper help to learn some coping mechanisms.to get back to a semblance of a normal life.

My daughter gets extremely upset and depressed and is saying more about no point in her being alive due to her having this illness, she didn't ask for it and certainly doesn't need the treatment she got from Sainsburys.

I/we didn't ask for any adjustments, we only asked not to be stared at because it made my daughter worse and for staff not to touch her items. Is that really too much to ask for?
  • UN17ED
    Forumite
    baza52 wrote: »
    The behaviour you led everyone to believe she was using. (wiping products etc.)

You come across as very argumentative and im sure there is more to the issue with Sainsburys than you have told us.

Why did the member of staff need to touch her groceries at the till and why did they spray her stuff?

Not once did I say she was doing that in Sainsburys, I could have written the op better but I have no need to mislead anyone.

Arguementative because I don't agree with what someone says? If so I'll take that and there's nothing more to the issue and I can't speak for the members of staff that did what they did because I'm not an evil person like that,
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    What does it matter to another customer if my daughter doesn't just pick up the first item on a shelf and move on?

I don't know what other behaviour wouldbe deemed as impacting other customers.
    Well because your opening post suggested (to many other people as well as me)
    Shopping for her is a stressful thing because she doesn't like people to go near her trolley, it takes her ages to choose her items as she has to make sure there's nothing wrong with it. She has to wipe every item with cleaning wipes as well and will only use self service and then only certain ones.
    that your daughter felt the need to wipe every item she handled whether she chose to buy it or not - hence if it goes back on the shelf it could impact the next customer to handle it (what if they have issues as well?) or would not be saleable.
    She would only out items back on shelves in Sainsburys, not sprayed with anything or wiped with any wipes.
    So she only wipes them when she gets home? Or only in Asda? I get that it's not rational behaviour on her part and it's a huge strain on you - but what you are telling us is inconsistent.
    There has been a few incidents when despite all the staff knowing she has it and not to go near her have done and have sprayed cleaning stuff near her food, or gone near her food or even touched it and my daughter has got upset because she will not have any of it.
    If staff know her and her problems and are doing this deliberately as a wind-up then you have a massive reason to complain. But if they are just wiping down the next unoccupied till or the one she wants to use next without knowing that's going to trigger her - that's normal shop operations.

As for watching her while she takes longer to study every item - if they don't know about the ocd (and you can't assume every staff member knows this even if someone has been told in the past) then it could look like suspicious behaviour or a deliberate distraction while someone else is shoplifting.
    and we've also been wrongly accused of stealing shopping and also using someone else's bank card.
    This is the bit that's not really being discussed - sidetracked by the "not eating anything for 7 days" bit.
    Why should I cover items in my basket which in large letters had the name of Morrisons on it, that is what my basket is for.
    Why do you have a Morrison's basket in Sainsbury? Do you mean you have a Morrison's branded bag in which you carry items previously bought in Morrison's and think this magically means no-one could ever put a Sainsbury's item in it?

Clearly your daughter is not getting as much help as she needs - but it seems like the stress is also affecting you and if you are coming across as confrontational to shop staff on top of erm.. shall we say non-typical shopping behaviour it adds to the problem.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure