Will and inheritence

13»

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    flower11 wrote: »
    he had children, who .... always cared enough to keep track of him.

But by your own admission, you didn't know for something approaching two years that he had passed away and without the message from your informant, you still wouldn't know.

DNA is not a passport, however sad or unfair you personally find that fact.

If the scenario were very slightly changed, you and your family have effectively been stalking this man. What more could he have done to make it absolutely clear that he did not wish to have a relationship with you?

Your comments are giving the idea that your family have been very close to harassing the man. If this was a sex offender defying the wishes of a previous victim and INSISTING and ENFORCING continued contact, the Police would be taking action against the thick-skinned idiot!

It was, and still is, the man's choice to make not yours! :mad:
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    So, you are going to attempt to prove your estranged Father of decades ago was suffering from a mental illness when he wrote his will?

And you are basing this on the fact you 'work in mental health'? You could be a psychiatrist or the cleaner, and yet you assess someone's state of health from afar???? How would you even know about an invisible guide? Oh, come on..........you are floundering.

Let the man rest in peace, for goodness sake.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    flower11 wrote: »
    A man who received instructions from an invisible "guide".

It is not about the money.

Something is just not quite right and he had children, who regardless of whether he was following "instructions" or not, always cared enough to keep track of him.
    Not sure, this is what we need to find out. Having worked within the mental health field for some years, he was what is known these days as "functioning".

Sounds like you have concerns as to his mental state when he made the will and I can see why you want to know more as he may have deteriorated. The death certificate may tell more.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I would say, let this go.

Mental illness or not, he didn't want contact. He severed his ties with you for whatever reason, mental illness or no. He was capable of relationships with other people and was closer to these other people than he was to you.

I don't know what you think is not quite right, do you think he was murdered, do you think he was taken advantage of, do you think he was co-erced into doing something?

Any of the above will be hard to determine from a death certificte, and the will can certainly not be challenged on the grounds that you feel something is not quite right.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Margot123
    What do you hope to gain from viewing the death certificate?
    If you are counting on it as proof of a mental illness, it will not give that as a cause of death. Causes of death have to be physical AFAIK.
    Nor will it give evidence of any mental incapacity at the time of writing the will.
  • Margot123 wrote: »
    So, you are going to attempt to prove your estranged Father of decades ago was suffering from a mental illness when he wrote his will?

And you are basing this on the fact you 'work in mental health'? You could be a psychiatrist or the cleaner, and yet you assess someone's state of health from afar???? How would you even know about an invisible guide? Oh, come on..........you are floundering.

Let the man rest in peace, for goodness sake.

A "man" who abandons his children doesn't deserve to rest in peace afaic. He seems to have treated the OP appallingly.
  • :eek:
    Margot123 wrote: »
    What do you hope to gain from viewing the death certificate?
    If you are counting on it as proof of a mental illness, it will not give that as a cause of death. Causes of death have to be physical AFAIK.
    Nor will it give evidence of any mental incapacity at the time of writing the will.

The OP explained that it was to check that he was actually dead. Not sure why all your sympathy seems to go to the OPs deadbeat dad.
  • Margot123
    bluebear36 wrote: »
    :eek:

The OP explained that it was to check that he was actually dead. Not sure why all your sympathy seems to go to the OPs deadbeat dad.

You seem to confuse sympathy with reality.
    I will leave it here as there is a detraction from what is really going on from a legal standpoint.
  • bluebear36
    bluebear36 Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2018 at 5:43PM
    Margot123 wrote: »
    You seem to confuse sympathy with reality.
    I will leave it here as there is a detraction from what is really going on from a legal standpoint.

That would be fair comment if you hadn't made posts that contained no legal advice whatsoever, but were made purely to attack the OP.

I'm surprised anyone asks for advice with people like you on this board!!! :(:(:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure