PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would you buy a house without a bath??

Comments

• tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I dislike bath (the thought of sitting my own dirt yuk!)
    Also I am on a water meter (my choice)
    Thirdly I have a lovely double shower so loads of room to move and wash hair.
    Also a shower is so much easier to clean.
    When a "friend" suggested it might make selling my house harder without a bath I pointed out as this is (hopefully) my forever home I will have what I damm well want!
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • We bought a house with a bath and took it out. Yes, it may be harder to sell, but we don't intend to sell for 10 years minimum. I'd rather have a decade of what I want and worry about that when it comes to selling rather than putting up with something in my own house for most of my life.

As it happens, I currently have a broken foot and a shower/bath would probably be more convenient but climbing 2 flights of stairs to bed is far more annoying!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 7 December 2017 at 8:24AM
    if you take out the bath make sure you have a baby washing sized sink :)

When space is tight and still want a bath look at compact toilets and sinks.

short projection toilets are available under 600mm seen 570mm

More cloakroom, you can get toilet units with sink above that saves space.

maybe put up the floorplan there are a few here that are good at coming up with ideas.

are you prepared to move plumbing main one being the soil pipe

if you want to spend a bit more could you nick a bit from somewhere to make it bigger, might not be worth moving a wall.

edit : see there are more options for combined than last time I looked
    Manhattan All In One Toilet and Basin has a 640 projection with sink which is compact.

also seen this neat offset design making the sink more usable.

d332635d3386b3e1130c1483fc63eca4--cloakroom-toilets-basins.jpg
  • kates08
    kates08 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We redid our bathroom last year knowing we were going to put it on the market sometime soon so put in an L shaped shower-bath. It doesn't really work as a bath as it takes more than the tank of hot water to fill it. I have had one bath in 18 months and that was after doing a 25 mile walk for charity.

Were now moving and will be redoing the bathroom with a walk in shower instead as we will be staying there long term.
  • if you take out the bath make sure you have a baby washing sized sink :)

That thought literally never occurred to me - but I have a huge sink in my kitchen now that I've re-done it. I just find it handy for me - as I can stand things in the sink to the side of the washing-up bowl.

But that is a very good point - if ever I do sell the house (ie that it is big enough for that). Thanks for that.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    That thought literally never occurred to me - but I have a huge sink in my kitchen now that I've re-done it. I just find it handy for me - as I can stand things in the sink to the side of the washing-up bowl.

But that is a very good point - if ever I do sell the house (ie that it is big enough for that). Thanks for that.

No point kneeling and stooping over a bath and getting a bad back when you have a perfect baby sized sink or wash basin in the house.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    No point kneeling and stooping over a bath and getting a bad back when you have a perfect baby sized sink or wash basin in the house.

just imagining someone washing their baby in the kitchen sink, I suppose it is big enough, but not sure it would appreciate Fairy liquid over baby shampoo
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would quite happily buy one without a bath, but I wouldn't sell one without a bath. I am a big fan of the short P or L baths were space is at a premium.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    I'd buy a flat without a bath but not a house.
  • It all comes down to personal preference really. None of my family are bath people so just a shower would be fine. Our children have had showers since they were very small so it shouldn't be an absolute deal breaker for somebody who might have young children - but again it's all down to personal preference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure