Selling car with minor scuffs

Hi there,
New to the forums but been browsing in the background for quite a while.
I'm planning on selling my current car in order to fund another, but I'm not sure about one thing.

I have a couple of minor scuffs/scratches at the front of the car as well as on one of the wheels. My question is would it be cost effective to have these repaired before I sell the car, or just sell it with the scuffs in the expectation that they'll probably find something wrong with it anyway to take money off.
I'm probably going to sell to Arnold Clark/WBAC for ease.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi there,
    I'm planning on selling my current car in order to fund another, but I'm not sure about one thing.

I have a couple of minor scuffs/scratches at the front of the car as well as on one of the wheels. My question is would it be cost effective to have these repaired before I sell the car, or just sell it with the scuffs in the expectation that they'll probably find something wrong with it anyway to take money off.

Thanks in advance

I was going to say it's not cost effective to sell privately.

It definitely wont be cost effective to repair it for WBAC!

I recently sold a car, but obviously this is just one experience:

Real value probably £2,700ish, WBAC £1700, Sold privately and quickly for £2350.

Stick it on Facebook and you'll get more I bet.
  • Depends on the car and what it's worth.

£500 on-its-last legs banger, I wouldn't bother
    £50k car, I would.

IIRC places like WBAC will quote a figure that reflects a car in mint condition. There will be a drop in the price offered. It depends then on whether it's worth getting the repairs done or not.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Hi there,

Thanks in advance

Be honest about the condition on WBAC and see what the difference is? See if you can get the work done for less?

WBAC are hyper critical. Its almost worth letting them find "something" though
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

just say 'bought as seen', you pay your money you take your chance.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Hi,

just say 'bought as seen', you pay your money you take your chance.

And that works with WBAC or Arnold Clark does it?
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Comms69 wrote: »
    I was going to say it's not cost effective to sell privately.

It definitely wont be cost effective to repair it for WBAC!

I recently sold a car, but obviously this is just one experience:

Real value probably £2,700ish, WBAC £1700, Sold privately and quickly for £2350.

Stick it on Facebook and you'll get more I bet.

Similar experience

Dealers forecourt value - £4k-5k
    Trade in - £1200!
    WBAC - £1800
    Sold privately inperfections and all for £3400!

All it cost was £50 in advertising and 3 hours on a Saturday morning cleaning and polishing. Sold it within 4 days.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    n217970 wrote: »

All it cost was £50 in advertising and 3 hours on a Saturday morning cleaning and polishing. Sold it within 4 days.

I was going to suggest that the OP gives it a good polish, or even shells out for a professional valet - it's amazing what a few hours in the right hands can do.
  • kev25v6
    kev25v6 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Or just sell it in the dark
  • Thanks for the responses! I haven't been driving for all that long and car knowledge isn't my strong suit

The car is actually quite new, I'm only selling it because (not very MSE) my parents have offered me their car at a substantial discount and I couldn't resist!

When I plug the car/mileage in I get a quote back for £10,800 and then when I put in details of the damage it comes up £10,400. I'm sure the repairs wouldn't cost £400 as they are very minor scuffs however I'd be worried of spending money on repairs and then (given the reputation of these places) them offering the lower amount anyway because of X, Y or Z that they manage to find.

I guess I'll just have to get a proper quotation for both repairs and sale value and see if it's worth it. Just thought I'd enquire as I've been reading these forums without posting for quite some time :)
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Either get the polish out or just send it for a valet.

I remember arguing with a guy about a £60 full valet (lease car return) and his comment was why don't you do it yourself.

I did quit moaning after I had thought about it for a minute. It would have taken me hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure