PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House for sale 8 weeks and no viewings

Options
sx_turbo
sx_turbo Posts: 67 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 June 2018 at 7:12PM in House buying, renting & selling
:AHi I am after some advice,

We have had our house on the market for 8 weeks and we haven't had any viewings as yet, the house seems to be priced about right, in regards to what else is around in the area.

The pictures are alright and the house is well looked and and in good decorative order.

Our estate agent seems to not have any clue, and has not provided any answers.

We had 3 estate agents round and they all values the house at the same value, £240-250k.

There has been other homes sold in our street over the past couple of years but these have been council owned and we're in such a poor state the council didn't want to spend money doing them up,so they sold cheap.

An identical house to the back of us has a smaller garden, is mid terrace doesn't have the large extension and only has a single driveway and that sold at he beginning of the year for £225k,and was advertised for offers over £230k.

We put ours up for £250k with the expectation people will make offers below the asking price.

We have now dropped the price to 240k in the hope this may entice buyers.

Everyone seems stumped.

Can anyone offer thoughts?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't read the whole post. I stopped when i read your obvious mistake....
    sx_turbo wrote: »
    We have had our house on the market for 8 weeks and we haven't had any viewings as yet, the house seems to be priced about right, in regards to what else is around in the area.
    Clearly the property is over-priced.

reduce it.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72168971.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69508130.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54374796.html

I am not stumped as to why you have not had any viewings. 5 minutes of research on Rightmove told me that your 2 bed house with no access to the back apart from through the house has the asking price of a 3 bed. The 3 beds are sold. You need to reduce the price to well below what you can buy a 3 bed for or you will not get any offers.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aside from the price, (which is going to be a factor if you're not getting anyone through the door) your lounge and kitchen look dark even with the lights on. That would put me off for starters.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, in the first picture of the front of your house/front door the front door looks old fashioned when the internal pictures show it is generally a nice and modern house. I wonder if the first image puts people off clicking through. Is the page getting plenty of views? You could use an internal shot as your first image and thumbnail image or consider upgrading the front door if you think this might help to sell the house.
    Tlc
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunately the announcement of the preferred route option D for the A120 between Braintree and the A12 which passes very close to your house and also the proposed waste incinerator on the airfield, which is also very close, will put most people off looking to buy in Silver End.

http://a120essex.co.uk/
    http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/disappointment-for-campaigners-as-essex-incinerator-plan-given-go-ahead-1-5191817
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Main road and industrial building opposite would put me off so I won't elaborate on what you should do with the inside or outside.

Totally price in this instance. It will always be a bit of a compromise property so it needs to be priced under others.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    You mention your large extension and pricing accordingly. Whilst the downstairs is large, the upstairs seems tiny in comparison, with two small rooms, so whilst some people may appreciate the large downstairs the upstairs may not suit, so may not command a premium
  • beckysheffield
    Options
    Why does your house have a bath and shower when it only has two bedrooms?
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Price, price, price. Three-bed price for a 2-bed (+ shower room!?) house. The large downstairs doesn't match the small upstairs.

You also lack measurements on the floor plan, this suggests that the house is small (or your EA is lazy...!).
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    This same thing happened to me. Had 3 estate agents value my house at £325k to £330k I went on at £325k. Had a couple of viewings initially then dead. I dropped to £310k and sold in week.

Estate agents always overvalue to get your instruction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure