PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tree root in drain

We commissioned a CCTV survey of the drains on the house we are buying on advice of our surveyor (as they went under the house).

The drain runs under the house and they found tree roots to be blocking the pipe, to the extent they couldn't finish the survey. This appears to be under the c2m
of front garden,rather than the house.

1) Is the normally covered under home insurance? Can the vendor claim and then works complete after we exchange? Quoted 500 for removal and inspection and 1750 to line the pipe or 2750 to dig and then line (as worse outcome estimates from the inspection company)

2) is there any chance the water company picks up the bill? (it doesn't appear to be a shared drain), but damage may occur under the footpath as well as the front garden

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The water company will only clear the sewer free of charge if the sewer line in question is a shared one, ie serves more than one property. If you are unsure, they will normally offer a free survey to you to see who is responsible in the first instance.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Trebor000 wrote: »
    2) is there any chance the water company picks up the bill? (it doesn't appear to be a shared drain), but damage may occur under the footpath as well as the front garden

The home owner is responsible for drains up until the boundary, the water company is responsible for drains beyond the boundary.

So 'under the footpath' sounds like it would be the water companies responsibility.
    1) Is the normally covered under home insurance?

You'd have to read the policy - but there are usually exclusions for 'gradual damage'.

The FOS has a long article about it:
    https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/businesses/complaints-deal/insurance/home-buildings-insurance/damage-underground-pipes
    Quoted 500 for removal and inspection and 1750 to line the pipe or 2750 to dig and then line (as worse outcome estimates from the inspection company)

FWIW, the drainage firm I used just pushed a root cutter down the pipe from a manhole, then lined the pipe afterwards.

But obviously, that doesn't mean that approach will work in all cases.

I guess it's a case of getting a few quotes plus a few opinions.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The pipe between a property and the mains in the road is normally the property-owner's responsibility (unless shared). This may include under the footpath - the 'handover'point of responsibility is the mains stopcock or water meter in the street. (both of those are the company's responsibility).

I'd not rely on the vendor fixing this - they'll do the minimum possible (after all, they're outa there!). Better to cost it into your purchase and get it done yourself properly.

Notwithstanding this, some water companies will (or used to) cover the cost of a first issue (but never subsequent ones).

Standard buildings insurance policies sometimes cover either
    * exploration and identification and/or
    * remedial works and/or
    * nothing!
    It depends on the policy.

My water company send me applications for dedicated insurance for this pipework with every bill (which I ignore). This is because if the pipe runs under the house it can be very expensive to replace/fix.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I had a similar situation at my last house. Several people explained to me why it was always better to dig it up and relay new pipework. You could get other quotes but in the meantime start renegotiating the price.

Make sure the agent is fully aware of the issue so the vendor doesn't try to remarket keeping quiet about the problem.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    G_M wrote: »
    The pipe between a property and the mains in the road is normally the property-owner's responsibility (unless shared). This may include under the footpath - the 'handover'point of responsibility is the mains stopcock or water meter in the street. (both of those are the company's responsibility).

Ummm.... are you talking about a mains water supply?

The OP is talking about tree roots in a drain.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    eddddy wrote: »
    Ummm.... are you talking about a mains water supply?

The OP is talking about tree roots in a drain.
    oops confused.

Ignore me Trebor!

:embarasse
  • Thanks all, very helpful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business