Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    A few comments about where I'm willing to cut and where I'm lucky enough to be in a position to say 'no, I'm not letting that go' :p

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Council tax............................. 99 - this is over 12 months
    Electricity............................. 35 - gas and electric are paid together. We're on a 100% green electricity tariff (which I want to keep) and very happy with supplier - have the option to adjust DD whenever I like (and have slowly been adjusting down) - but any surplus with them gains 3% interest so currently got about £350 in credit
    Gas..................................... 40 - we do have an absolutely ancient boiler (older than me..) which is not hugely efficient, and currently won't do hot water without having the heating on... we also both work at home a lot so in winter heating is on for a LOT of hours - likely won't change any time soon.
    Water rates............................. 51.4
    Telephone (land line)................... 15
    Mobile phone............................ 17.5 - this is both of us on GiffGaff
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Internet Services....................... 25 - we're with Zen and extremely happy with customer service/provision/policies - won't be changing this
    Groceries etc. ......................... 50 - this can definitely be cut - this is me buying food at work because I haven't made lunch in advance, or picking up tea at the supermarket cos we can't be bothered cooking :o Main food shopping paid for by Mr Cheery (not in this budget)
    Clothing................................ 10 - obviously I don't spend this every month, just averages out. Most clothes come from charity shops
    Petrol/diesel........................... 50 - this includes weekends away, trips to see family etc - could possibly cut as neither of us use it for work! Plenty of trips we could probably walk on, or at least be more efficient with planning
    Road tax................................ 12
    Car Insurance........................... 26 - includes home start RAC cover
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30 - this *is* a guess - we've spent a grand total of £22 in the 10 months since using YNAB but MOT is due in a couple of weeks so I'll have a better idea then
    Other travel............................ 200 - my commute to a different city twice a week. (Actually, I've just checked it properly and while I allow £200 over time it's averaged at £150 a month allowing for holidays etc). Booking in advance saves approx £1.25 a day - not prepared for the inconvenience for that. I've biked a lot this year to and from the station at each end which has saved roughly £40 a month on bus fares. Probably do this less in the winter...
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 32 - actual costs for both of us this year - various fillings etc and a crown for Mr Cheery at the end of last month. Hopefully not every year! My prescriptions are free after having thyroid removed :money:
    Buildings insurance..................... 6 - yep, this is right - got full buildings and contents for £120 last year so hoping for the same again...
    Contents insurance...................... 6
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 35
    Haircuts................................ 5 - to be honest I hadn't counted this separately but I know I only pay £10 a time and certainly don't have it done any more than every couple of months, if that :o :rotfl:
    Entertainment........................... 65 - this is our joint 'treats budget' which pays for cafe trips, pub with pals (rare), takeaways... I allocate £50 but the figures say we've spent an average of £65 - oops. This could be cut, although there are other things I'd rather cut first!We both love a cafe trip but Mr Cheery really doesn't like spending money so this was my way of making sure we got out together occasionally!
    Holiday................................. 150 - one big holiday and a few weekends away. Weekends tend to be pretty cheap but main holiday tends to be two weeks in a cottage in UK which can end up rather expensive... especially if you book last minute in July/August like we did this year... :eek:
    Emergency fund.......................... 150 - this is what we've been spending on house repairs and maintenance now we're getting ready to move. We're not adding to actual emergency fund at the minute (stands at £1000, which I'm happy with, in separate account to Patchwork Fund). So far we've managed to deal with minor emergencies with just this £150 a month, and haven't needed to break into main stash.
    My personal spends...................... 200 - er... so this is where the main savings can be made... It appears an average of £13 of this is what I've called 'unnecessary food' - mostly chocolate bars at train stations... £27 is tea and cake with pals in cafes (not with Mr Cheery). Could Do Better.... :eek:
    Self employed national insurance........ 14 - this is for Mr Cheery, although they're now collecting it all in one go, but we're still putting it aside each month
    Web hosting............................. 15 - Mr Cheery's, not really sure what it is for...
    Course fees............................. 29.5 - my permaculture diploma - just runs til next July
    Union................................... 21 - mine - hoping never to need their services!
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1401.4
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Those are interesting, Cheery! As you say, the groceries could be cut with forethought, as they're mostly work related.

The train fares? Any discount card you're eligible for? You have to leave the house so early, I don't suppose there is.

Better find out what the web hosting is that you're paying for!

Insurance is brilliant :):):)

The one I see is your water rates, at £51 ... do you both have *deep* baths every single day, as opposed to showering? Because in any other situation, you're going to be better off with a meter. I've had one for maybe 8 - 10 years now, and my bill went from £45 per month to £12-£15. Which is where it still is.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    That's interesting about the water rates KC. Nope, we don't both have deep baths every day (partly because hot water requires the heating to be on even in the summer!!). We probably average maybe 1-2 baths a week between us but they are usually pretty full, lounging in baths :D Probably only do clothes washing once a week, if that :o :rotfl: And I usually shower pretty much every day.

Will investigate...
  • Chocforever
    Options
    Yes, it was the water rates that also stood out for me too. Although you won't know how much you will save in advance, and in theory it could go up, I don't think you have anything to lose.

I used to pay £70 per 6 months on a water meter. That's for one person. When I moved house last year (still in Severn Trent's region), they wanted something ridiculous like £278 in advance for 6 month's use. So I got a water meter and, since it could be fitted outside of the house, I didn't even need to be in. It was free. I use more water now for various reasons, maybe £15 a month. Even so, I will be in credit for a long while. I was told the standard water rates charges were set years ago making assumptions about what size and composition the household would be - mine assumed I had lots of kids and had the washing machine on the go every day!
    Mortgage, draw down Sept 2014: £222,000

Now: £173,229
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    That's interesting too, thanks chocforever! :j I suppose we've been reluctant to feel pressured to not use so much water (which really we should be anyway :o ) but the amount we actually *do* use probably isn't that much in comparison to others.

Am I right in thinking that once you've got one, you can't swap back? Or can you swap back within a year, but if you sell the house the new people can't ever swap back?

Probably best check the water people website :D

Lovely day today - made a picnic and drove out to one of the peak district off road cycling trails on an old railway line :j :j LOvely, lovely, just cycling along, not worrying about cars (although worrying rather a lot about unbalanced wobbly small children on bicycles! :rotfl: ) Had a picnic on a little secluded grassy area and sat there for ages.

Then we cycled in the other direction into Bakewell and had a mooch around (but didn't buy anything), then bimbled home.

No idea how far we cycled - probably about 10 miles in total. But we didn't spend anything at all! :j :j :j
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Right, done some water meter investigating.

First up - I'd forgotten that we actually don't pay £51.40 every month - it's only 8 months of the year, which averages it to £34 a month - much more reasonable.

Did the water meter calculator and it's suggesting we'd pay around £326 a year - so £27 ish a month.

Will have a think - but it might not be the enormous saving we originally anticipated! Suspect I've probably got higher priorities than sorting that out if we'd only save roughly £7 a month. We'll see. Good suggestion though, thanks!

And yes, we have the option of switching back to rates if we don't like it - but they leave the meter fitted and if we sold the house the new folks would be automatically on the meter with no choice.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Evening chums :hello:

Yawnity yawn yawn today. Certainly felt like autumn today - my hands were FREEZING cycling down the hill to work this morning for the first time - best dig out my woolly gloves! And work has actually seen fit to put the heating on! I didn't realise til the afternoon so was sat shivering in my Emergency Cardigan until someone else told me :o :rotfl:

Counting today as a NSD :j :j Not that I'm actually counting NSDs :o :rotfl: But I'm counting it as a success that I didn't buy any chocolate at the train station :j :j

Evening to myself, so have got a couple of priorities...

* finish preparation for (non-work) workshop I'm running next week and email to pal
    * make arrangements to meet various people at the event I'm going to next week - I'm meant to be interviewing them and I think I'd rather do it over the phone, but they've all suggested doing it while we're there - I just have no idea how to arrange to meet, at separate times, four different people who I've never met before, in a place we don't know, when none of us will have phones or know which workshops we want to go to in advance. Pah! But I've put it off for too long and need to do it tonight!

* changes to job application form :j Had seven people look at it and give me suggestions so going to spend a bit of time making them :j Got to send it before I go on Thursday - eek!

* if there's time I might go back to my PhD references and spend half an hour sorting them out :o

* and if there's time after that - a nice hot soak in the tub :D :j :j
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Love that you have an Emergency Cardigan! Every woman should have one :rotfl:

Hope you got a lot of your list done last night and all your commuting isn't causing too much hassle x
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2015 at 9:35AM
    Options
    ******and breathe*******

:D

think your spends are reasonable although (waves to KC) I don't know about water rates.

Extra food spends I'm guilty of, but then again, sometimes they seem to be inevitable.

your work travel has always made me gasp but then again I spend almost as much on petrol.

Personally, and I know this sounds a cheat, I think you're doing great.

I'm guilty of moving up my grocery spends with my bargains but I'm trying to have a no food shopping week once a month.

Now I've said it I have to stick to it......
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    :hello:

Emergency cardigan lives at work for those times when you just need to be all snuggly in a blanket :D Tis hand knitted in really chunky wool, £3 from a charity shop, and comes pretty much down to my ankles :D Not remotely stylish, but when work is 2 hours from home sometimes you just need to be cosy! :D

Thanks Pips :D If you think I'm not doing too badly then I must be ok :D

Dashing about today - last day of work before convergence and I'm actually contemplating taking the afternoon off - still got job application to finish, loads of printing, packing, sorting the car, and a couple of bits I'd like to pick up from the shop, and if possible I could do with a hair cut.

About to try and cancel going to the meeting tonight (which might involve me dropping keys off to someone else) so me and Mr Cheery can have a bit of time before I go, but I think if I have the afternoon off too that might just make things a LOT easier :D

Have to make sure I don't waste it all on the internet mind you... :eek: :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport