Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 17,111Posts
    • 283,821Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 7:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 8:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
Page 73
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Oct 19, 8:18 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 3,687 Thanks
    unrecordings
    They'll be using energy from the mother plant so I'd personally chop & chuck (or maybe try and find some space to pot a couple up if poss)
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Oct 19, 3:42 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 3,687 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Still plugging away...
    Finally got all my greenhouse pots empty & drying before I give them a brush & hoover. Repotted my liquorice in very deep pots for overwintering in the greenhouse and started repotting my malabar spinach as I don't think it'll survive outdoors or in the workshop.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Oct 19, 5:08 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,694 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Nothing happening here except the rain and more rain, I'm getting a bit fed up with it.

I spend about 80% of my time outdoors with one thing and another. I've got some pretty good outdoor stuff but the temperature is still in the high teens so I find it very uncomfortably hot to wear loads of layers. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the top of a feed bag and two arm holes and wearing that - waterproof and lightweight !!!
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Oct 19, 7:21 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 3,687 Thanks
    unrecordings
    You can get those camping/festival ponchos quite cheap I think
    Maybe something like this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/summit/771005/emergency-poncho/dp/LH04503?st=poncho
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Oct 19, 8:32 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,694 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    You can get those camping/festival ponchos quite cheap I think
    Maybe something like this:

https://cpc.farnell.com/summit/771005/emergency-poncho/dp/LH04503?st=poncho
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Many thanks, I'll have a look. it sounds better than a DIY effort
    • -taff
    • By -taff 15th Oct 19, 9:38 AM
    • 10,508 Posts
    • 14,714 Thanks
    -taff
    Thanks for those suggestions re thickening my green tomato sauce. DH is very impressed with it as a spread at the moment and after a rare purchase of bread (pumpernickel) the bread has all gone, suggesting he quite likes it.

I don't think I've got any Certo left in my store cupboard....
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass

You could always try boiling a couple of apples in with it..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,027Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter