£800 charge to amend booking with agent within 24hrs

Hi. Not sure if this is the right place but here goes:

Booked a package over the phone for May next year. Paid. Within 24hrs wanted to delay return flight by 2 weeks due to an excursion offer from friends. Agency has quoted £800 to do this. They say it will be £400 pp.
am I totally stuck with this? I would expect 20/30 admin fee but I can't believe that it would cost them this much and can only be a penalty ?
Chin up.

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Do the tickets they purchased permit changes? They need to read the booking terms and conditions. Many cheaper flights have restrictive policies on changes.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Charter flights or scheduled?
  • Thanks for the replies. It was booked over the telephone. Scheduled flights with Emirates
    Chin up.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You mention an Agency. Which one?

You possibly have any fees the airline charges, any difference in the airfare on the new date, plus any fee the agent charges for making the change.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    More than likely there is a £60-£100 change fee plus any fare difference. I've changed a flight with Emirates before - I stupidly booked the wrong month! and It was about £300 per person including change fee and price difference of the flight.
  • Changes with Emirates are £300 per ticket, plus the difference in fare.

The agent will also make a charge.

Lesson learnt !
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,936 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Check their policy for changes so soon after booking. I know British Airways allows free cancellation within 24 hours, so you can cancel and rebook.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    Check their policy for changes so soon after booking. I know British Airways allows free cancellation within 24 hours, so you can cancel and rebook.
    Emirates comply with DOT regulations and give the 24 hour cancellation on flights departing the US
    don't appear to offer any free cancellation for other routes
  • Changes with Emirates are £300 per ticket, plus the difference in fare.

The agent will also make a charge.

Lesson learnt !

:rotfl:

They might be in one of the business classes or possibly what you paid but like many airlines the fee changes depending on the route, class and fare rules.

For example LHR to DXB T class £100 U and M £75.00

Lesson learnt?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family