ESA50 Work Capability - Yearly?

I am carer for my partner, we were one of the first ( I think) to cross from DLA to PiP in 2015.

My partner is in his late 50's, in receipt of PiP and is in the support group for ESA, he has limited mobility and a variety of mental health conditions, something I made the DWP aware of when filling out the 2017 ESA50 (and previously also)

We have not as yet been transferred to Universal Credit.

Pip was initially awarded for 5 years, expires late 2020, so I have that to deal with next year a some point.

In May 2017 my partner was sent an ESA50 which I duly filled out and sent back. I'm not sure if anything else was heard but I did send/complete the form and sent it recorded and it delivered.

Roll on 12 months just over and he's been sent another ESA50, same form as last time.

Is this normal to have to keep completing these forms out, how often are they to reassess? They are aware of his conditions, these forms sent him into overdrive and it's me that has to pick up the pieces and try and move him along, it's not easy.

I'm just wondering as to why they seem to be sending them on a semi-often basis?

Do I have to keep filling them in?

I have a record of the last form completed, it's exactly the same questionaire/layout and I am of a mind to fill it in exactly as before other than revision of some dates for next appointments etc.

Any advice would be appreciated and any idea as to why he appears to keep getting these ESA50's almost annually throughout the PiP stage.

I have not contacted the DWP, his blue badge is due for renewal and they have sent a form for that but no changes of circumstances etc.

Thankyou.

Comments

• There is nothing wrong with updating the previous info you supplied for the last ESA50.
    If an award is for 2 years then its not usual for the re-assessment process to start 12 months before.
    Don't worry about UC if he continues on the legacy benefits then at some point in the next 3 years he will have a managed migration to UC and transitional relief, unless there is a change in circumstances.
  • Not sure what you mean re 'award'? PiP was awarded for 5 years in 2015, ESA50's seem to keep coming in every year.

PiP renewal is not due until late 2020

ESA Last time filled in was 2017 I can't find any paperwork to suggest the time it was awarded for was 2 years.
  • It's pip that reassess a year early not esa I have only heard of it happening to a couple of people on esa and it wasn't a full year they must just have been really unlucky,he must have got a 12 month award a lot people do unfortunately you just need to keep filling them in
  • JogonUK wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean re 'award'? PiP was awarded for 5 years in 2015, ESA50's seem to keep coming in every year.

PiP renewal is not due until late 2020

ESA Last time filled in was 2017 I can't find any paperwork to suggest the time it was awarded for was 2 years.

I was talking about ESA not PIP, you need to look at the last award and find out how long it was for.
  • venison wrote: »
    I was talking about ESA not PIP, you need to look at the last award and find out how long it was for.

But it's pip that gets reviewed a year early not esa DWP usually sticks to the assessors recommendation for esa.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    For ESA they can re-assess you at anytime. Awards letters never usually state the award length of time, for this you have to ring ESA and ask them.
    As you now have another ESA50 form it will need to be filled in and returned, otherwise you could be found fit for work. I wouldn!!!8217;t just copy the previous one exactly, I!!!8217;d at least change it a little and add more info. Every time a claimant is re-assessed for ESA the same rules apply. Send the evidence with the form because they very rarely contact anyone for this.
  • Ok, well I've had a search through the paperwork and now I'm a little concerned as to why it's been sent.

In summary, PiP awarded until late 2020 (a five year award),

Feb 2017 an ESA 50 was sent, duly completed a month later and sent it.

In September a letter was received stating that they had looked at the claim due to a recent change, the change being a decision my partners cabability for work and that he's been placed in the support group.

No time span given

Late June18 and another ESA50 received.

This is unusual is it not? less than 10 months? for another esa50 assessement?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No, it!!!8217;s not unusual. As has been stated you can be re-assessed at anytime for ESA. The form has to be filled in and returned by the date stated in the letter.
  • GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    It is so stressful when these "re-assessments" happen with such a seemingly short interval (it has just happened to me with ESA - May last year (after 4 years, another ESA50 received at the start of March[!] this year....) - and it does seem unreasonable, no matter the sharp responses on here.
    It is hard to separate out the PIP, but, as that is in place for now, best just leaave that alone as - despite a lot of indication - they do SAY that the two are not connected (rolls eyes).

I did pretty much what you are thinking of - whch is in effect the truth; completed the most recent form with an upgraded version of the previous information.

My fear is that they move the goalposts and, even though the information/illness/symptoms are the same (or worse) now, they have somehow behind the scenes, moved the goalposts and what entitled a person THEN does not entitle themNOW - especially when adding in the point of view of the Assessor.

I think if you can, complete the form and submit with everything you can to back it up, fingers crossed it will be OK- but who knows these days??

(It's laughable that the form is sent under the guise of asking if the condition is the same- when really, they just put you right back through the mill again - with no guarantee that the outcome will be the same.)
  • I have just had an ESA decision, support group which is great but for only 12 months. I think now the assessment providers have got their backlogs down (I understand many of the providers have had to make redundancies, due to over staffing) they are giving shorter awards to keep their numbers up (don't forget they charge about £150 per assessment).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure