What have I done ......

Comments

• Dimps_123
    Dimps_123 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    LOL that is exactly what I think - "ooh I have X amount spare, what treats can I have", completely ignoring the massive debt. Definitely need to change my way of thinking. mmm thanks I'll take a look at YNAB
    xx
    DIMPS
    Working towards being debt free :rotfl:June 2022
  • Dimps_123
    First Anniversary
    Just out of interest do you only use the free trial and then use the rules for your own spreadsheet budget or is it worth the subscription?

Cheers
    xx
    DIMPS
  • Hi dimps, just wanted to pop in and say hello as your diary really resonates with me!

I'm a single mum to a 4.5 year old in 20K plus worth of debt, trying to get it gone so I we can enjoy life before it's too late and she flies the nest. I've tried before but unfortunately my debt total has only gone up! Hopefully we can support each other and and keep each other motivated.

I know it's daunting but it really is a good place to start to list all of your debts and get an SOA done so you know how to tackle it!

All the best x
    Total Debt June 2018 £23,064 /£0 Paid off
    Ultimate Savings Goal £0/£1000
    Holiday Pot £0/£500
  • Dimps_123
    First Anniversary
    Thanks backandevenmorebroke. Bit scared about your name to be honest ;-) I'm loving the support here and its great to share tips. Yes you're right, my SOA needs to be done.

How lovely - a 4.5yr old. So many fun fun times ahead :-) Challenging.... but oh so fun.

Definitely going through a mini crisis with my son at the moment. He has so much on his plate and trying to come up with solutions to balance everything out. Plus of course, as a single mother for all of his life, I've added to that pressure by still wanting to spend time with him whenever we can - because that's all I know. I'm getting used to being on my own more, but definitely cherish the time with him. His Nan and Grandad helped me with his upbringing and they're feeling a little bit neglected too. We totally understand what its like being his age, but he is struggling with making the right decisions all of the time. I'd prefer to be going through it myself and I've specifically kept myself out of those kind of challenges for a very very long time!

Oh my, the mental stresses of everyday life definitely affect the feeling of helplessness with debt.

xx
    DIMPS
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dimps_123 wrote: »
    LOL that is exactly what I think - "ooh I have X amount spare, what treats can I have", completely ignoring the massive debt. Definitely need to change my way of thinking. mmm thanks I'll take a look at YNAB
    xx

Personally, I think it's worth the subscription Dimps and I am fully subscribed. I would, however, go for the free trial to start with and see how you get on with it. Sometimes they offer a discount once you have completed the trial too. It's not easy to get your head round at first, but once you 'get' it, it really is an eye opener and you really, really need to stick at it until it becomes clear. There are several youtube videos about it and a dedicated thread about YNAB on the forums here where you can ask other people questions if you get stuck too. It has really changed the way I deal with money.
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03/£2000 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6523.98/£15,000
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Some folks swear by YNAB (I don't ;) )

Personally, I don't believe in paying for something that I can put together for my self.
    I use a combination of Spreadsheets and a OneNote Journal to keep me on track (must get back to writing up that guide when I get a chance :o )

However, as suggested give the free trial a go. Afterall, it's whatever works for YOU ;)
    If you need any advice or info in using spreadsheets etc gimme a shout :D
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Dimps_123
    First Anniversary
    Fab - thank you MeandO I'll check it out
    x
    DIMPS
  • Dimps_123
    First Anniversary
    bless you UncannyScot - funnily enough I've been playing with spreadsheets just recently and have learnt how to total up rows and columns on the same tab and then have all tabs totalled up on a separate tab. I was very proud of myself. Only problem is I can't remember how I did it so have to follow the instructions again lol. Works though! not entirely sure I'll have the patience for the amount of figures that will be going in on an outgoing/ incoming/ outstanding debt spreadsheet :-(
    x
    DIMPS
  • Dimps_123
    First Anniversary
    I found a good quote the other week, might have been on one of these forums and it really resonated with me.

It goes something along the lines of - A good person can make a mistake, that doesn't make that person a bad person. (however my question is does making the same mistake over and over still keep me good, doesn't it? maybe just a little misguided)
    DIMPS
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Admittedly, it does require patience and discipline to ensure that you keep things updated...
    I use spreadsheets a lot so while I am not an expert I can get them to do what I need them to do... eventually lol

Basic rule of thumb is to allocate specific budgets and to stick within them (Discipline ;) )

On my sheets I have set allocated budgets for each section and stay within these.
    At the end of each month whatever is surplus from those sections is assigned to savings :D
    It works for me and is simple but effective.

You will find what works for you, may take a paradigm shift but you will get there (((((HUGS)))))
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport