Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Comments

• brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2018 at 1:43PM
    Frugal day planned...lets see if I can keep to it!! :)

Oh and Redo...thats the one, I didnt have harissa paste, so just cobbled some together. No fennel seeds either, so planning on making do!! Will tell you what they taste like :)
  • brizzlegirl
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2018 at 1:49PM
    The mortgage rate is 1.88% fixed for 5 years ( the previous one was a combination of a really low rate on the bulk 0.99 above BOE base; but some additional loans were on 3. something and one may have been on 4.something % so this is better despite the longer term, as we plan to pay off early anyway) and we reckon we own 72% of our house. Not bad at all. Paying it off is doable as long as really focus on scaling back frittering away on the discretionary spends. We can make an overpayment of up to 20% of the outstanding total per year...well thats not happening at the moment but I guess it could one day if we get our act together. Reading Mrs FWs book - not sure I can countenance cutting out items such as PHI cover or death cover, we also spend money on the girls activities and school trips, (as well as locally sourced and organic food, especially meat) but we could be much more prudent. We have a lot of income, most of which I am currently squirrelling away into savings pots and against the debt.

So no spends this weekend apart from groceries. The dear friend (aka boiler assistant) and his family are coming over for lunch. Knew that huge rib of beef in the freezer would come in
    useful. All I need to buy is veggies and maybe some white wine.

Getting cold here. Snow flurries.. but nothing like a fortnight ago x
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have posted a link to here on your old diary and subscribed to this one :)#

Hope the weather holds off - we had flurries this morning but it's too wet for them to settle and it's all stopped now (although more expected overnight)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • brizzlegirl
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2018 at 1:54PM
    You angel greent!!! Thank you. It wouldnt let me post a link...maybe its as a newbie? Not sure why.

I am gettting used to my new home tho. Lovely to be visited here in the new place by old (in inverted commas) ie. good and cherished friends...best get the kettle on :coffee: or should it be a glass of mulled wine given the weather?? :beer:

I was thinking of you on Wednesday especially. Well dressed young men with pink tags stumbling onto the train towards London...not sure how far you are from Cheltenham but its manic this time of year..
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    We're just off J12 of the M5, so not far from Cheltenham at all - takes about 25 mins to get to the town centre. DS2 goes to school in Chelt (close to GCHQueue) but gets a school bus there and back (unless he has after school activities (so 2 or 3 x/ week!))

I used to work in Cheltenham in the early 90s and the traffic in GC week was always appalling - used to add around 40 mins or more to the journey home back then. DS2's school cancelled after school activities Tues onwards this week because of it :) And, yes, Gloucestershire is full of men in tweed jackets and flat caps this week! :D:D
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    A Hello from me too :hello:

Sorry about the diary woes but a change is as good as a rest, etc?
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • Happy shiny new diary!! Have subscribed xx
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • brizzlegirl
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2018 at 3:43PM
    Oh thanks lovely subscribers :hello: StepUp, MFM..how is it going? The skies are heavy with snow but hoping we miss most of it. I am sitting here doing some admin (not the bullet journal alas...that has just one bullet point in it...which consists of how many days per month and per year that I need to work (at my usual rate) to maintain the current household income..so not much progress! :o)

Aha, very close then greent...yes its been a busy week for the town, thrilling battle for the Gold Cup too.

Redo...the lamb sausage rolls are lush ..OH has had the first one (me the second..at this rate not sure the kids will get a look in! :rotfl:) and he says the flavours make it like a donor kebab...in a good way. We could have put more chilli into the HM harissa, but didnt want to put off the kids, none of whom like hot spice particularly. Reckon this will be a good snack for the lunchboxes next week. (And don't ever tell my dearly beloved (sadly departed) grandmother that I bought the pastry..as an amazing cook and the original frugalista she'd have never understood!! Its a time saving invention I would have to say...!)

Kids all out at various things and OH working (yet another job application to run alongside the 'new' one)...think this is what it will be like when the fledglings start to leave the nest :( But there are some silver linings...its calm here :rotfl:
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Snow flurries on and off all day at Seasideville brizzle, though it's not settled on pavements or roads thankfully. V.cold though when wind blows!

The rolls sounded lush! I think your Grandma might have forgiven you the readymade pastry as you've such a busy work life.

p.s. I'll have some of that mulled wine please brizzle if you've made it!:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,018
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Happy new diary Brizzle!

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback