Light the fire...

Comments

• woodfired
    woodfired Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Our new mortgage payment came out at month end and the interest has reduced from around £245 per month to £205 which is good, we managed to fix for another 2 years just before the rate rise. We also saw our first regular overpayment of £300 leave the account so we are now paying over £700 off the capital amount which I am pleased with.
    I've paid another £500 into the TSB regular savers and a further £250 will go in to my HSBC RS later in the month. I also buy £75 worth of shares each month through Hargreaves Lansdown. So a total of £825 into savings each month plus a £300 overpayment. I just hope we haven't overstretched ourselves, it seems a lot when I write it like that!!
    Another quiet Saturday here, we had a boozy Christmas lunch with friends yesterday that set us back £70 so saving the pennies for the rest of the weekend. However, it was a lovely meal with great company and doesn't happen often so not too bothered by this spend. We are now watching Santa Claus The Movie and waiting for my baby Nephew to arrive so we can look after him for a couple of hours, we will have Steak from the freezer and HM chips with pepper sauce for dinner later.:D
    New Mortgage: £240 999 7/2/20Current Balance: £ 205 000 Aug 23Mortgage Advance £27 000 April 2022Current Balance £22 450 Aug 23Business Loan £89 000 Jan 2023Current Balance £44 499 Aug 23
  • I have been reading all of the frugal tips on the old style money saving board and used one this morning :D I came downstairs and boiled the kettle for my coffee, DH was in the shower. As I poured it I realised I had boiled enough for probably 3 mugs and DHs would be cold by the time he got to it if I poured it now. So..... I rooted the flask out of the cupboard and filled it with the boiled water. DH thought I had gone mad but it made his coffee plus an extra one for me as I had finished the first by this time. I was VERY pleased with myself :D.

I have now lit the Esse which is heating the water for children's baths (having Sunday baths this morning as at carols around the tree in our village this evening). Will pop the joint of beef I got RTC earlier this week in to slow cook whilst it's lit which will be lovely for dinner before the carols this evening. Got to do some paperwork today as a VAT return is due by Thurs for the shop and I have hardly started (I hate that job - lots of work and a big bill to pay at the end of it - a thankless task). Also going to take the children for a long walk, they were bonkers yesterday, probably because we were cooped up inside for most of the day. Will tire them out good and proper today ;)
    Have a nice Sunday everyone.
    New Mortgage: £240 999 7/2/20Current Balance: £ 205 000 Aug 23Mortgage Advance £27 000 April 2022Current Balance £22 450 Aug 23Business Loan £89 000 Jan 2023Current Balance £44 499 Aug 23
  • woodfired
    Had a very productive day off today. Completed and submitted my VAT return, rang lots of companies regarding the refurb we are planning for the business in the new year, tidied the house and bought the Christmas tree. I have left the tree outside though, it lives in the kitchen but the massive, thick york stone flags hold the heat from the underfloor heating so well that the room is never cool so my tree is dry and crispy within a week of being inside, even with watering! The children are not impressed but it is staying outside for as long as possible.
    I dug out some shortcrust pastry from the freezer with the plan of making some mince pies, however, when I rolled it out there was loads so managed to make a big caramelised onion and cheddar quiche with hm chips for tea AND 9 mince pies. ;)
    I was so thrifty I even used the eggs for the quiche to egg wash the pie lids before adding them to my quiche mix :D, once again, pleased with myself ;) I am quite enjoying the frugal aspect of this challenge, it is often little effort but hopefully the savings will add up if I can stick to it. Overall dinner was very cheap, no meat involved for us and the children had noodles with chicken (using up a tiny, lonely, chicken breast from the depths of the freezer!) plenty left over for tomorrows lunch or dinner too. :T
  • Sorry Diary, I have been neglecting you!

Lots going on at the moment which means my MSE ways have slipped a little. We have had a busy christmas so far but DS and DH have both been really poorly with a flu like bug which has wiped them both out. Christmas itself has been quite cheap, although, a last minute flurry of present buying meant that I spent a bit more than I was hoping for.

We are considering a couple of big changes in the new year. DH is considering starting a business with his brother and they have a contract from a potential customer ready to sign for almost 12 months work (at a fab profit margin), the only issue is it requires appprox £85k of investment :eek:
    This would have a knock on effect on me also as it would mean I would give up teaching and take on the running of our business when our manager retires in June. Lots to think about!

We are also currently working on the refurb of the shop which is due to take place next week, DH is worried that his illness is going to hold the project up as he is doing most of it himself. Fingers crossed he will be much better by then, we don't need any more stress!!

Hope everyone else had a fab Christmas!x
  • woodfired
    Well the shop refit has happened this week, it has been very hard work and involved some very long days but I'm very relieved to say it is almost complete and looks amazing! The new layout is much more comfortable in terms of working environment and so has also strengthened my resolve to hand in my notice and take over in the summer, a huge decision but the right one (I hope!)

The inevitable downside to this is the impact on the finances, we have spent thousands. However, I am trying to keep in mind that to pay a shop fitting company would likely have cost 3 times as much, so we have actually saved money in this sense. We will also be facing a lean few weeks as Jan/Feb are always quiet as everybody is eating/drinking less plus we have lost 4 days of takings this week due to being closed. Ah well, I must keep the bigger picture in mind and transfer in some savings to tide us over. It will be worth it in the end.

I have spent very little personally as we have been too busy this week and too poorly the previous week. I had £80 in my purse on the friday before christmas and still have £45 in there today! I did spend £80 in Ald* on Tuesday but very little besides this in the intervening time. I will try to continue this through January as my current account is looking very sorry for itself!

I am now trying to muster the motivation to do some school work before we go back on Monday. Really cannot be bothered, roll on summer and my new job!

Happy new year everyone!
  • Well it has been a busy few weeks, I handed my notice in on Monday. This was a total shock to the head, especially as I told a few home truths about the way staff are treated and how strongly I diproved of some of the forthcoming (cost cutting) measures. They are not in the best interests of the children or staff and it did not go down too well! :o Ah well, they needed to hear it and I am in the fortunate position that I do not require a reference so I can speak my mind.

So it is all systems go for a July start in the shop, i'm looking forward to it, my only concern is childcare through the holidays but i'm sure we will work it out.

In MSE news I have been spending very little, following meal plans and buying essentials only. My bank balance is very low (thanks to such a huge outlay on the shop) but is being looked after carefully and is gradually increasing :D. We have a planned spend on dinner out tomorrow, my sisters and I are going for a little walk with the children whilst the husbands tackle a few miles of a hike then we will meet in a cosy pub which serves great food for an early dinner. We will actually pay for one of my sisters and husband to thank them for helping cut down a huge hedge in the garden and chop for logs last summer, still much less than the cost of outside help so all good. Other than this we have plenty of food/drink so should be a fairly MSE weekend.

I'm currently sat by the roaring Esse, updating spreadsheets and planning for DH's new business (which he and BIL are working at today), will catch up on some diaries too. Quite a nice place to be on a miserable January morning.

Enjoy your weekends all. xx
  • woodfired
    I have been looking at our figures this morning and noticed that the total outstanding presently on the house mortgage and business loan (essentially the shop mortgage) is £215 001 which is almost a perfectly round figure. I was thinking how nice it would be if we could get this combined total below
    £200 000 by the end of the year. Our regular payments plus scheduled over payments will leave a balance of £202 101 so I need to find an extra £2101 over the next 10 months.
    I don't really want to use savings (we pay a total of £750 into regular savers each month), these would easily cover it but our savings are very low at present and need replenishing, so I need to find this money through savings in the budget/ebay sales/other bonus funds.

We do need to book our family summer holiday still which will use a chunk of the savings/make the budget really tight so I need to have some concrete goals to refer back to.

Here goes:
    1. Get mortages below £200k by the end of 2018.
    2. Build the EF/savings back up to £8000 (currently £2915) so £5085 to add.
    3. Lose 1 st in weight(!!)

Thrown that last one in as its traditional for me, I spend the first 7 months of the year battling to lose a few pounds then the rest of the year enjoying putting it back on! Its a cycle I really need to break.....
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Loving your diary .Great targets for this year ,i am sure you will meet them .
  • Love reading your diary! The Esse sounds nice in these cold months!!

Rocket
    MFW - diary has finally arrived!
  • Just come across your diary wood fired....exciting times ahead!!

I may be bringing silly...what is an Esse? It sounds warm....and like it may produce baking of some kind?...whatever it is, I think I might want one! ;) :rotfl:
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure