eBay

Hi,
2 months ago I had a dispute about charges they levied on an item I sold... I will say by the way that the charges were correct according to ebays t&cs.
However they said that they would look into itand someone would speak to me within 72 hrs also that they would put a £20 spending credit? To my account.
I was happyish with that however they did not contact and nothing got put onto my account.
I told them that my payment to them would be sent the same way as they sent my £20 ...I am happy to pay this debt but in principle as they owed me money and that this was to be paid/ put onto my account before the due date of my bill I thought that I was being fair ,I also advised them of this in subsequent emails to eBay.
Numerous automated messages later (I have asked to just speak to someone sensible) they have now got a debt collection agency onto me. I have yet again tried to communicate with eBay over the phone, incurred charges re phone bill etc probably far outweighing the £20 credit thing they are offering.
The bill has also now increased by £16 because of this debt collection agency.
How can they justify sending in the dogs when they have attempted no real communication. Can I do the same for my phone charges and my time and the £20 credit they owe me? And how can I fight eBay ?
Especially as I can find no one in eBay higher than a supervisor in debts to speak to over the phone. They have given me an address in Ireland but this seems a bit of a fob off in my opinion....HELP

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think this is worth fighting as it will drive you nuts. I'd pay before you incur anymore charges as you agree you do owe it - unless I'm missing something?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,156 Forumite
    I once had an issue with some transaction on ebay, I can't remember exactly what it was.
    They offered me a £20 goodwill payment, but I never received it.
    So long as they are getting a decent turnover, they really don't care.
    I guess you can do that when you have a monopoly.
    I decided not to cut off my nose to spite my face, so I'm still there.
  • Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    ...try the ebay Board....way down a bit!
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    So the fees were correct but they offered you £20? Sounds like a misunderstanding. Do you have that in writing? Otherwise the debt stands and should be paid.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    when you posted on this board you would have ticked a box saying you had read the bit that tells you CAB only answer questions in 4 areas
    since you ignored that, when (if) CAB do reply to your post, they will give the following response

we're not covering this topic area on the CAB board at the moment. We'd suggest contacting our Consumer Helpline (08454 04 05 06, 9am to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays) or your local bureau, for advice on your possible options.

The relevant section on our Adviceguide website

as others said above post your query on the e bay board not on the CAB board
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Hi,
    2 months ago I had a dispute about charges they levied on an item I sold... I will say by the way that the charges were correct according to ebays t&cs.
    However they said that they would look into itand someone would speak to me within 72 hrs also that they would put a £20 spending credit? To my account.
    I was happyish with that however they did not contact and nothing got put onto my account.
    I told them that my payment to them would be sent the same way as they sent my £20 ...I am happy to pay this debt but in principle as they owed me money and that this was to be paid/ put onto my account before the due date of my bill I thought that I was being fair ,I also advised them of this in subsequent emails to eBay.
    Numerous automated messages later (I have asked to just speak to someone sensible) they have now got a debt collection agency onto me. I have yet again tried to communicate with eBay over the phone, incurred charges re phone bill etc probably far outweighing the £20 credit thing they are offering.
    The bill has also now increased by £16 because of this debt collection agency.
    How can they justify sending in the dogs when they have attempted no real communication. Can I do the same for my phone charges and my time and the £20 credit they owe me? And how can I fight eBay ?
    Especially as I can find no one in eBay higher than a supervisor in debts to speak to over the phone. They have given me an address in Ireland but this seems a bit of a fob off in my opinion....HELP

What was the basis of your dispute?

I suggest you contact your local bureau regarding your issue and possible next steps. Take along any applicable documentation for them to review.
  • Thank you peeps for your replies...
    The dispute ironically is to do with the excessive charges.
    PayPal charged me £30 odd for putting the money from the buyer into that account, PayPal being linked to eBay.
    Then when eBay charge me another £80 plus for selling the watch I am £110 short ok the watch sold for £970 but with ( in my opinion) over 10% charges taking PayPal and eBay combined I thought this was unreasonable.
    Someone at eBay said they would contact me as my dispute was being forwarded to the relevant dept. but I heard nothing.
    And all I got was automated rubbish saying please pay .
    I emailed back saying would someone please just talk to me..... No one did
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Thank you peeps for your replies...
    PayPal charged me £30 odd for putting the money from the buyer into that account, PayPal being linked to eBay.
    Then when eBay charge me another £80 plus for selling the watch I am £110 short ok the watch sold for £970 but with ( in my opinion) over 10% charges taking PayPal and eBay combined I thought this was unreasonable.
    Someone at eBay said they would contact me as my dispute was being forwarded to the relevant dept. but I heard nothing.

Is this not what they quote in their terms, which you agreed to?
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Thank you peeps for your replies...

Ebay can charge what they want for their services (providing they are clearly laid out to customers before they are incurred)

Whether you wish to use those services at the prices quoted is up to you.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    I cannot understand your complaint. The fees for ebay selling and for receiving payments via paypal are very clear. I sold an item for £460 recently and ebay took £45 and paypal £15 just as I had expected. I still ended up with £400 in my pocket for an item I had previously put in the small ads for £250 so was very happy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure