Job Hunting for the first time in my life - Help

OK - at the ripe old age of 47 I find myself needing to change jobs
The last time I actually went out & found a job was about 25 years ago, my jobs since then (all 2 of them) were word of mouth sort of introductions so I'm rusty to say the least.
I was thinking that a good plan of attack would be to firstly get a good CV together & was thinking of enroling on the CV Sage course here http://www.cvservices.net/gamma/
Has anyone used this? Is it a waste of £50+ ?
Any help would be appreciated.
I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would say you can get that for less than £50 if not free, have you got any services locally that can help you? Even having a friend/acquaintance look at your cv for you might help. There are sure to be websites that give help. Don't pay £50!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • gerretl
    gerretl Posts: 427 Forumite
    Hi. I'd agree with Fran, CVs can be tricky, but my advice is to write one, and ask a very honest friend to see what they think. Take any critisism on the chin. Believe me, it is worth it. Also, don't write a 'one suit fits all'. They stick out a mile. Tailor each one you send to the job you are applying for.
    Don't sell yourself short either. Most jobs aren't half as complicated as the adverts make out (brain surgery excepted)
    Good luck
    "Don't critisise what people look like, how they speak, where they are from, and what they are called. They cannot help it.
    Do critisise what they say, and what they do, especially if what they say is different to what they do. They can help that"

Anon

"Life is the three weeks and six days between paydays" - gerretl

£2 savers club =£42
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ***Boardguide comment***

I have removed the previous post because of the Forum Rules
    PERSONAL DETAILS AND THE OFFERING OF ITEMS FOR SALE/TRADE/EXCHANGE/SWAP/GIFTS

Please refrain from requesting the exchange of personal details either on the forum, via PM or email; particularly for the purposes of selling/trading/exchanging/swapping or giving as gifts. This includes posting links to your ebay auctions, or other forms of advertising.

If someone appears to be selling items on the board it may be deleted by the board guides/forum team. The aim is to protect site users as however honourable the intention, your safety is paramount.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    I would look at getting a friend who is involved in recruitment to have a look at it rather than just anyone. It is something that I thankfully rarely have to get involved in but I have seen some friends CVs which other people said was great and if it had come across my desk it would have gone straight into the no pile (and not talking about their qualifications/ experience)
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport