Radio Five

Options

Comments

• clumber
    clumber Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I am a social worker and would advise anyone not to complete the form by themselves.Go to your local D.A.B as they know the key words to insert in the forms.They look for key words and give points based on them.Ie supervision,monitoring,suicidal ideas etc.In suffolk we have a welfare rights team which do all appeals and therefore have more chance of success.
  • DjSatansfury
    DjSatansfury Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Its stunts like this that are the reason im going through the appeal process after failing my PCA. Many things i said, have been taken in a different context or changed, and some facts simply arnt true.

Not only that, i was litrally in the assesment for 10 minutes. Its meant to be minimum of 20. When i got the results sheet back, they said i'd been in the assesment for 20 minutes, which is a 100% lie.
  • cosmic1970
    cosmic1970 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    If a doctor visits to assess your contion, women can ask for a female doctor.

Very important: You can get a copy of the Dr report that is sent to the DLA. This can be very useful if challenging a decision that you think is not appropiate for your condition. The DLA will provide this.

You may find many inconstancies and lies in theses reports. I have known wheelchair users reported to walk long distance without aid. This can be useful if going to appeal, especially if you have the evidence to prove wrong.

NB If you are registered disabled you are entitled to zero tax for equipment that is regarded medical. e.g wheelchair, mobility scooter, New car with an adapion (this can be as simple as a steering ball or as large as a winch or remp, and you have to be a wheel chair user - but if your condition is variable e.g. MS you can still access this VAT, and all maintance to the vehicle including tyrers id VAT free)

Never give up!:D
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    cosmic1970 wrote:
    |You can get a copy of the Dr report that is sent to the DLA. T

NB If you are registered disabled you are entitled to zero tax for equipment that is regarded medical. e.g wheelchair, mobility scooter, New car with an adapion (this can be as simple as a steering ball or as large as a winch or remp, and you have to be a wheel chair user - but if your condition is variable e.g. MS you can still access this VAT, and all maintance to the vehicle including tyrers id VAT free)
    Writing for a copy of the medical report should be done at the same time as requesting a written statement of reasons for the Decision Makers Decision, however you have to have consulted your Welfare Rights Adviser before writing your letter requesting either of these as some WRAs want to be in control of all aspects of the appeal process and feel they don't want to take over where someone else has messed up. So although you do need both a written statement of reasons and a copy of the Medical Evidence used to support the decision you are appealing, you need to check if it's OK for you to request this information with your WRA so you don't offend them.

You do not have to be REGISTERED DISABLED to qualify for VAT disability relief but the goods/services you are buying have to be designed for disabled people.
    The vehicle VAT concessions apply to regular WHEELCHAIR users only see details at these links.
    Getting things VAT free if you have a disability
    Motor vehicles for disabled people
    FAQ: VAT for disabled people
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • TraciJ2
    TraciJ2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I had my medical at the beginning of May - convienent time for me but receptionist sounded REALLY surprised that i took the first date she offered!
    The letter explained that i may have to wait for approx 20 mins.....i waited an hour and a half and by that time i was in extreme pain with my back - i suffer from undiagnosable lower back pain (apparently). The Dr i saw was apologetic about the wait especially after he saw my discomfort and inability to perform the simple tasks he asked.
    Monday morning i received a refusal from DLA on the grounds that i am not an amputee or Deaf/Blind. Today recieved letter from Incap saying that i passed my medical and therefore do not have to continually send medical certs in every 3 months - although i was sending them in approx every 2 months because DWP have a problem counting to 3 months and often stopped my IS before the medical cert ran out!
    Does anyboy know if its worth me asking DLA to reconsider again???

Traci xxxx

I saw, I shopped, I bought it!

:A
  • bettyboo1963
    bettyboo1963 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    i applied for DLA a few years ago now with Degenerative discs in my lower back and was turned down.
    I appealed and was turned down so I then went to tribunal, when on looking at my medical report was awarded High rate mobility and low rate care.Yipee.
    In Dec 2004 my DLA ran out & I had to re apply, my circumstances had not changed with regards to my disability but I had lost nearly 8 stone in weight, I was turned down for DLA and decided to of course go back to tribunal.
    I was seen by the panel of 3 people and was told that I was not entitled to DLA anymore as I had lost a large amount of weight.This was totally irrelevent to my disability but I lost all my benefits.:mad:

However I was told by a very kind man at the Disabilty Helpline that i could make a fresh claim straight away which I did.

So I waited while my claim was looked at and when I received my accePtance letter I could have cried: High Rate Mobility but no care this time.:T
    So to re cap: I was turned down in a Tribunal in February 2005 but accepted by a fresh claim in March 2006, where is the logic in that.

My advice to anyone claiming DLA is to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and see one of their special people who specialize in helping people to fill out the claim forms for DLA and MOST DEFINATELY APPEAL AGAINST ALL DECISIONS.
  • MissG_2
    MissG_2 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Options
    TraciJ2 wrote:
    I had my medical at the beginning of May - convienent time for me but receptionist sounded REALLY surprised that i took the first date she offered!
    The letter explained that i may have to wait for approx 20 mins.....i waited an hour and a half and by that time i was in extreme pain with my back - i suffer from undiagnosable lower back pain (apparently). The Dr i saw was apologetic about the wait especially after he saw my discomfort and inability to perform the simple tasks he asked.
    Monday morning i received a refusal from DLA on the grounds that i am not an amputee or Deaf/Blind. Today recieved letter from Incap saying that i passed my medical and therefore do not have to continually send medical certs in every 3 months - although i was sending them in approx every 2 months because DWP have a problem counting to 3 months and often stopped my IS before the medical cert ran out!

You have nothing to loose you can only gain so it's worth it.
    The best things in life are for FREE!!!
    If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    TraciJ2 wrote:
    You only have a month in which to decide and as others have suggested getting a Welfare Rights Adviser to help with the appeal is definitely worth the effort.
    Ideally you need to ask the DLA decision maker for a written statement or reasons for the decision not to award and for a copy of the medical information on which this decision was based.
    When you ring to arrange an appointment with your WRA you should ask them if it's all right if you write for this information so it is available when you go to discuss your DLA appeal prospects.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • JJp_4
    JJp_4 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    clumber wrote:
    I am a social worker and would advise anyone not to complete the form by themselves.Go to your local D.A.B as they know the key words to insert in the forms.They look for key words and give points based on them.Ie supervision,monitoring,suicidal ideas etc.In suffolk we have a welfare rights team which do all appeals and therefore have more chance of success.

Could someone enlighten me as to what D.A.B is please?
  • TraciJ2
    TraciJ2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    You guys are fantastic!! Thanks for you're help xxx :T

Traci xxxx

I saw, I shopped, I bought it!

:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing