NST 07/2018 - Survive July!

Options

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lauren - well done on the weight loss.

I ran yesterday and then had a rather energetic evening chopping branches off of some of our huge trees as they are stopping our Sky tv signal getting through. We took off a lot but it's no better and the rest of the branches are too high, unfortunately I don't have the money spare to pay someone.

Cycled this morning. Lunch is a salad wrap and tea is naked burritos today. I sold some things on ebay and put £20 into savings, I was going to buy a new cycling jacket for winter but will just make do I think although that is exactly what I said last year.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 July 2018 at 1:23PM
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »

Confession time - spent £12 on lovely French handmade soap today, 2 bars of lavender and 2 herbes de Provence :o A real luxury, but the bars are big, and the texture is such that they last far longer than supermarket soap, so I won't need to buy more for several months. It was £2 cheaper to buy 4 in one go than to buy individual bars as and when.

My name is F0xh0les and I have a soap fetish. the one that smells of mazipan from a certain shop that rhymes with MUSH.

I buy it only once a year (I have been known to return gift boxes and just buy this soap that only appears at Xmas )and I keep it in my underwear drawer first so that it perfumes there, then when it is unwrapped the paper goes into my clothes drawers, the soap is used and makes me smell of almonds. 3 in 1.

So if you want to spend £3 on a bar of soap that makes you happy every day you use it and lasts for a couple of weeks, instead of £3 on a moderately nice cup of coffee, or a piece of cake that is gone in 5 minutes, then it sounds like a bargain to me. Wise financial planning. That is what I am turtling for.

I think I am on NSD 7 or 8, and I have to bow out of this month, as I am off to the wi-fi-less wasteland of relatives by marriage.

I have packed 9 books. Off in a couple of hours. Kids being utterly daft. I have sent them off to pack at least 3 times already. They are still not packed. They will be going in their pants and nothing else at this rate. Oh well!!

Wish me luck!
    See you in August - can I put my name down now? Save me a place
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    • NSDs - 5 - got another one today
    • Remember - DD to charity Items added to CS bag. £5 donation to a Teenage MH charity for non-u and activities. Small donation of items to foodbank.
    • Pay to your debts or savings first - DONE - + £450 (total) OP to BTL Also today I opened a S&S ISA
    • Set budgets. Food 240.88/475 (+Tues receipt). Fuel 0/65 Gifts 30/30 Toiletries 2/10 Cleaning 6.38/10 DD uni stuff 36.68/50 Clothes 9.50/100 Social 57.50/75
    • Use things up Still ongoing. ) Lots of space in freezer
    • Revisit targets you set back in January. - Done.
    • Vacation time No idea whether we're going on hol in Oct (not booking until after A level results) and no real plans made for summer hols with the kids - must get thinking cap on!
    • Inspire others -
    • Value for money -
    • Every day - here :) Thankful for: managing to cobble up a dressing up outfit for DS3 for school at no cost, getting DD, DS1 & DS2 involved with chores (we will sort this house!), sorting some things for sale on fb00k - 1 lot sold so far
    • Jump - None
    • Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. -.
    • Lose the excess. Listed loads of books in sets/ bundles for sale on fbook today. 1 lot sold so far. All belong to the children, so they will get the money. More to list.
    • Yearly plans -we are halfway through 2018. If you haven't planned on how to finance Christmas/ birthdays in the second half of the year/ DIY things which need doing / any holiday plans you may have - NOW is the time - will make a list of people with bdays and those I need to get Xmas presents for and make a start, even if it is putting money aside. Have started a list of things I'd like as presents and bought 1 small item for DS1.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NSD No 12 as I was looking after the wee ones. Not a great day as I heard first thing this morning that my cousin's son passed away during the night.
    Feeling just a wee bit fragile at the moment so I'll check in tomorrow.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sending you lots of fentle hugs toni'sfriend. Take care of you and yours x
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, NSD 14/20 for me today.

I had a lovely time with the grandchildren today and as usual always have an anti climax feeling once they're gone. I usually see them every 2-3 weeks but as it's dgs birthday next week I will see them then as well :j I do wish they lived nearer.

JUMP - Does chasing after 3 children in the play park count :rotfl:

USE - Just had soup from the freezer and leftover sandwiches from lunch for dinner. It saved me cooking.

I always feel a bit sad after a visit so shall post more tomorrow xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Toni'sfriend - Sending you and your family hugs. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers at this sad time.
    NSD 13/20 Was an NSD today.
    Set - Done the budget for the month.
    Use - Will definitely be doing this. Still trying to using up things already in.
    Revisit - Am going to set new goals. Made a list of goals and bucket list.
    Vacation - Not going on holiday. Planning to have some days out/experiences. Done 2 days out already.
    Inspire - Will try.
    Value - Will look into other ways to save for days out etc.
    Every - Have done. Grateful for:
    Finally getting home after doing overtime. Got somethings ready so that they can be banked tomorrow.
    Cooler weather.
    Going to have an early night.
    Doing self-care today.
    Jump - Will definitely do walking as it will help my mental health also. Walked from work to bus stop, also around the school doing errands.
    Unless - No need today.
    Lose - Done decluttering for now. Still need to sort out items put aside to be recycled to cs and recycling centre.
    Yearly - Have made a list as to what needs to done or going out trips/experiences/voluntary work for rest of the year.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for my blood test results all being 'normal', for plenty of walking, for bumping into a friend and having a good natter, for aldee simply exchanging the shoes I bought for dd, for helping a friend with some paperwork, for being able to collect dd from school, for finding some yellow fabric, for dd enjoying her grammar workbook.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Celebrating being able to get in (and more importantly out) of the bath today.

Quiet crafts session and prepped enough to continue next week (when I am out for the day)

Hoping for an early night as tomorrow is busy early (have ordered food online for delivery, have my physio assessment and if possible, need to do a sample in addition to all the other morning stuff so that I can drop it into the lab box before my physio appointment (so that it will catch the 10.30 am pick up).

Today I am grateful for hot baths and being able to climb in and out, for easy food (beginning to turn into a sandwich, though) and for the single white comos growing in a bed of pink geraniums (and 3 pink cosmos).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all :coffee:
    Another tired day for me again. I've decided to make a doctors appointment about these dizzy spells that I just can't get rid of. It's not until next Thursday and I'm hoping that they'll be long gone and I can cancel, and it's just been the sheer exhaustion of the past few months catching up with me.
    I have 2 more get ups for work, but I think that my brain went on holiday today. I barely got a thing done at all. And the kids are more than ready for a break as well. I will make it to the end of term.
    Got paid quite a bit of money today for my exam marking and I have very sensibly budgeted the lot. Hopefully that will stop me frittering everything away as has happened recently. Not a nsd though as my poor dd got dumped by her boyfriend and I bought some cake and ice cream and we've sat and had an evening together in front of the telly, just me, her and her brother.
    Toni'sfriend - take care and be kind to yourself. Lots of love x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport