Cheery's country living adventure

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,683 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning MSE chums :j :j

Hope all is cheery with you :j I am having a day off and a cheery friend is coming to help out with a few things - I've made a list :D :rotfl: doesn't seem to be as hot as late so we might be able to get a good few outside things done.

Most exciting news round here lately is that we have a bed!! :j :j :j You see, in our old house, the mattress was on a kind of mezzanine thing that you had to climb up to, which was fine (although a bit precarious when very drunk :rotfl: )

When we moved obvious didn't have a bed frame so have just had the mattress on the floor, also fine but not ideal longer term.

Mr Cheery (who is far more frugal than me :rotfl: ) has been scouring Freegle/Gumtree/3bay etc to find us a decent bed frame that didn't cost too much (and wasn't far away) and last week got fed up of waiting and decided to make a temporary one from various bits of wood we had lying round.

I am now lying in it :j it's ace :j and also extremely sturdy and I suspect will last far longer than temporarily :rotfl: Headboard is made of a combination of bannister rails and curtain poles :rotfl: and it's quite high up (deliberately) so has loads of storage room under it (I think he's missing the ladder up to the old bed :rotfl: )

So very exciting :j Can start retrieving clothing and boxes from around the house now and putting the bedroom back together a bit finally :j

Not much else to report. Been at home for a few days so aside from a couple of cafe trips (about £6 a time usually) and the normal food shoppong we've not spent much :j

Car's in the garage this morning though so that'll be £130. Ooh, but it's PAYDAY so i can play around with some numbers :j
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,866 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Bed frame sounds fab Cheery! And yay to raspberries - I'm envious as we've only had a handful this year (sadly some shrivelled on the plant despite watering - it was just too hot!). Enjoy!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Well done to Mr Cheery for his resourcefulness! :T:T:T
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Yay! He finished it. Glad it fitted through the door :rotfl: I also bet that is now your actual (not temporary) bed ;)
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That sounds absolutely wonderful! I'm with the others, I bet that becomes permanent - as it should :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Oh it'll definitely be permanent now, it's extremely sturdy and overengineered :rotfl: And it did come inside the house - but only because he dismantled it and rebuilt it again in the bedroom :rotfl: The doors aren't very big here! :rotfl:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Evening chums :hello:

Cheery weekend here. Mother came to visit and we put her to work :D took a load of stuff from the loft to the tip (broken chipboard cupboard, mousy old carpets etc) Went to a little village fete but it wasn't particularly spendy - we had an ice cream and a go on the tombola etc :j

There may have been a cafe trip or two...

Planted more veg outside which (after a few days of getting settled in) will save on water :j Cabbage this time, kale, rocket, and beetroot :j courgettes are definitely courgettes now and we've got some tiny cucumbers forming :j

What else?Mr Cheery has had a clear out and built us soke new shelves in the utility room, just need to populate them now :j

Oh, and we FINALLY had a quote for our building work -including VAT they wanted £14,000 :eek: :eek: needless to say they won't be getting it :rotfl: that's far more than we'd allocated plus more than our entire emergency fund so even if we wanted to spend such a ludicrous sum we couldn't :o :rotfl:

Hey ho. Lovely local farmer has taken pity on us and offered to take the chimney off which is the bit we definitely couldn't do ourselves :j Then we can do various bits of demolishing, then farmer is confident we'll be able to find someone once the weather turns so we'll get them to do the joists etc. Not ideal but as only one of the four builders has actually quoted and we can't afford it we don't have much choice :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hey ho. Back to work tomorrow!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,866 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Ouch to that quote Cheery, I don't blame you for opting for plan B! That's very kind of the farmer to offer to help though.

Yay to the tiny cucumbers etc... I discovered a third spring onion had sprung this morning! :rotfl: We also put shelving up in the utility - has made a huge difference. Enjoy filling your shelves!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yowch, Cheery - but you've got a good neighbour. And a mum helping out :) Loving the little crops showing up - I bought a salvia last week, with unusually big leaves, and repotted it on instead of putting it out in the heat when I'm away - and it loves it, the leaves are practically standing to attention. A plan comes together :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    :eek: to the quote Cheery. Yes doing it in stages like that isn't ideal but at that price I'd be doing the same thing. Blimey!!

Lovely that you've got a great neighbour. He sounds very helpful.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills