PIP Result

Been browsing the board whilst looking for guidance whilst helping my wife with her PIP claim. She had her assessment on the 25th June, a text from the DWP on the 27th to say they had received the report and after making phone call on the 28th got a copy of the assessment on the 30th. The report was very fair ( issues are a stroke and broken hip following a fall) and suggested 10 ponts for both living and mobility. Got the Decision letter on the 11th (dated the 5th) which awarded 8 and 10 points and a review in June 2024.

Whilst I found useful info on the site and others, I have to say that it seems a lot of what is recorded is very negative which only fuels concerns for those new to the process. I think it would be helpful if a balanced picture could be presented. Maybe good news is deemed non news, but reassurance might help to prevent people thinking the worse.

Comments

• Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Plenty of people post positive Pip stories. Myself included. I found the whole process straightforward and a stress-free as possible.

You said yourself that you came here looking for help and guidance and that is what other people do too.

If they had a positive result then they wouldn't need help or guidance would they ?
  • Mike44
    Mike44 Posts: 11 Forumite
    May not have explained it fully. The help and guidance being sought was to try and understand the system properly so we could get it right from the off. Being confronted with mainly negative stories doesn't make finding that guidance easy. The reading included perusing UT decisions to get a grip on the mobility descriptor given that my wife is in that group who can't walk any distance without an aid but can cover a short distance with one.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You will mostly hear the bad stories when searching the internet. This is understandable because if someone has a decision in their favour, they have no questions to ask. Therefore we don!!!8217;t hear their stories.
  • Some areas such as N Ireland flatly refuse to send the claimant the PIP or ESA reports until such times as a decision is made, then they will send it.
  • I don't think it serves much purpose until a decision has been made.
    I agree it is a shame that we don't hear/read many good news stories but thats just human nature.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    venison wrote: »
    I don't think it serves much purpose until a decision has been made.

I disagree here. The assessment report can come in very handy if a claimant has to go down the MR route. It also gives a very good idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mike44 wrote: »
    Been browsing the board whilst looking for guidance whilst helping my wife with her PIP claim. She had her assessment on the 25th June, a text from the DWP on the 27th to say they had received the report and after making phone call on the 28th got a copy of the assessment on the 30th. The report was very fair ( issues are a stroke and broken hip following a fall) and suggested 10 ponts for both living and mobility. Got the Decision letter on the 11th (dated the 5th) which awarded 8 and 10 points and a review in June 2024.

Whilst I found useful info on the site and others, I have to say that it seems a lot of what is recorded is very negative which only fuels concerns for those new to the process. I think it would be helpful if a balanced picture could be presented. Maybe good news is deemed non news, but reassurance might help to prevent people thinking the worse.

I recently updated a thread with our good news regarding PIP (over on the Disability Board) but it was on the original thread I posted so I wonder if there might be more good news posts out there but they are attached to the original threads asking for help and advice (and therefore aren't as obvious)? I do agree with what others have said; people tend to post when there's a problem or a bad experience so you do hear more negatives than positives. But overall our PIP experience was a good one - roughly twelve weeks from start to finish - brief information gathering on the phone initially and personally I found the PIP form a bit easier to fill in than the DLA ones, although I did wonder if that's because I've done a few now and I just find forms easier in general? Not sure but anyway, sent it all off with various reports and received a letter back saying they were going to contact professionals for further information which presumably they did.

We had a face to face assessment at home, very nice lady who had not only read my son's reports but seemed to have understood them which is unusual :) He's been awarded the number of points I thought he would be, based on the online descriptors, which means I can only assume the report submitted by the face to face assessor was factually accurate - again, that doesn't happen very often. Enhanced rate for both which I was very happy with - very relieved not to have to go to appeal :)

So yes, overall a good experience and he's been awarded it for four years, I think it was, so hopefully we won't need to think about it again until then :) I'm glad your wife's claim went through without any problems as well :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure