Here we go

Comments

• Good Morning, am hoping for a NSD today as am working on assignment all day, although it is Mr BTC's Christmas work ball tonight. A free night out, so can't complain (I will in the run up to it though. I remember before children when getting ready for this type of thing was half the fun - music blasting, picking the outfit, leisurely putting on makeup/doing hair, etc. Now, it a case of chucking on the first dress that a) fits and b) is clean and hurriedly applying make up in anticipation of the next battle over an incredibly important matter such as who had the toy aeroplane first downstairs :D)

Won't be a late one though, as it's the big birthday party tomorrow. 27 over excited children in one room for two hours :eek: DS is very excited about it. Have already told him that we're going to have to donate some old toys to the School Christmas fete to make way for the new items that will be coming our way tomorrow (and at Christmas - am quite convinced that toys breed). Got my MIL to supply the cake in place of a birthday gift so that's one less large plastic item to house ;)

Tomorrow I am also going to have to sit down and pay for all the activities, look at our bills for December, make a budget for my trip away in two weeks and work out the Christmas gift situation. I always find from DS's birthday until January that we seem to haemorrhage money, but am determined to try and keep at least a little control this year. Thankfully I have already got everything for the children so it's just relatives that we need to buy for (we have a lot of them!).
  • Good Morning - Birthday party was big success. Happy children all round and am now top parent in our house :D

Big spending this weekend - paid for all the DC's activities for next term (£230 swimming, £160 drama, £365 ballet/tap/modern and £100 gymnastics). Very expensive, but all thoroughly enjoyed and with my studying it's better to know they will be out the house at certain times so I can plan. Will probably stop a few in the summer when the weather is better and we can do outdoors type things.

Then decided since we were getting organised and depleting my salary account we may as well get everything else on the list(!) £264 on furniture for DC's bedroom, £400 on Christmas gifts for relatives, £50 on Christmas flowers for GMIL (am being very organised and sorting them out now to avoid last minute rushing), £30 on birthday present for DN and I still have a large bill coming my way for DS's party yesterday.

:eek:

In my MSE defence, the above was all used with cashback sites, vouchers and I did spend around an hour making up new cashback/online shop accounts in Mr BTC's name to ensure maximum value for money. Christmas is now done and we have no one else to buy for, so aside from the dreaded hen party trip next week we should no longer have any (planned!) big spends until next year.

Even though the above is a lot, I still think we'll be able to get the mortgage account to under the £200k mark when we can make overpayments again at the beginning of December. Then we can make OPs weekly again. I find I'm quite all or nothing when it comes to spending so weekly overpayments tend to be more successful than monthly.

No spending planned today and this week we only need the basics foodwise (budget £25). No events planned at the weekend either, just one birthday party (present bought and paid for) and a drama performance. Hopefully a LSW after this last week.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That's an incredibly early Christmas do!

Well done on finishing with the presents, I am sure the damage to your budget will repair itself before long.

We are also feast or famine when it comes to spending, since moving house we have had months ranging from £1,500-£13,000 :D
  • Good Evening

Food all purchased for the week - £16.51 on milk/yoghurts and £16.09 on fruit/veg (some YS bargains included). £12.81 on postage.

Lots of studying to do tonight but just not in the mood :( So tired and it's only Tuesday. Going to be a long week I think. Hoping no more spending now for the week apart from meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow.

Saw that Amaz0n are doing their warehouse deals again, 20% off everything. Am trying to resist temptation to buy things we do not need. Must resist. Am really wanting to buy a TV for the room where I sew, but then I have survived for the last few years sewing listening to the radio and using an iPad for TV programs on catch up. (Was also thinking it would be nice to send Mr BTC in there when he wants to watch football/tennis/the Grand Prix/etc rather than making us all suffer!)
  • Morning. Well thanks to being in hospital yesterday and off work today, should have practically spent nothing the last few days, just £10 for lunch on Wednesday.

However, have been feeling miserable and had far too much time on my hands not being at work so ended buying things I don't really need online (a few jumpers for my trip away next week and some tights). However had completely forgotten about Black Friday so missed out on discount codes for the items which arrived this morning :mad:

Last mortgage payment of the year next week, then can start overpaying again. Not sure what to do now though as have just found out that I have a medical issue for which treatment is not covered on our insurance. The cost if this could wipe out the large mortgage overpayment we have sitting ready to go next week :( Might have to just start weekly OPs and wait and see for the large one until we have more of an idea about how much the treatment is going to cost.

Other than a meal out tonight, hoping for a low spend weekend. Got the assignment to finish before I go away and busy with activities, children's parties and packing so shouldn't have time to spend any money :D
  • Good Afternoon oh neglected diary.

It's been a while. The hen party is over and done with - stuck within budget and had a nice time. Am now back with an assignment to do before Christmas, too many social engagements to attend (for all the BTC family) and house guests arriving next week. Am hoping to get the assignment finished this weekend as if I don't there's going to be big trouble. So busy at work as well before the year end and term finishes next week. Am desperately looking into holiday clubs for the children.

Spending wise, lots of Black Friday bargains went back so I'm hoping that the final year credit card bill will be around £200. Once that's paid that's the end of that - no more credit cards. Have tried logging onto the bank account a few times to see our new mortgage overpayment allowance but no sign of it yet :mad: Medically, have had some further tests and spoken to consultant and the treatment needed hopefully shouldn't be as severe as originally intended, so I think once the allowance has been confirmed we'll do a lump sum payment to get under the £200k mark :D

Other spending, went to buy a Christmas tree last night as our bargainous one from several years ago no longer seemed to have the strength to hold our numerous baubles. So found a reduced one for £24. Sadly, however, that was not it. I spotted one of those massive "Really Useful Boxes" that is designed to keep in a Christmas tree and all the baubles for £20. Had to have it to match my Christmas wrapping paper one :D Mr BTC thinks I am crazy - however, he will not be saying that when he sees how much easier it is than using manky old cardboard boxes for the Christmas decorations. Just need two sack sized ones now then my Christmas plastic box collection will be complete(!)

Out for dinner tonight with work colleagues which I'm hoping won't be too much. Can't drink because a) it's a school night(!) and b) need to be in work early in the morning to try and get as much done as possible before the weekend. Weekend spending shouldn't be too bad. The children have five (yes, five) parties between them so that's cheap entertainment for them at least. Am going to try and stay clear of the shops and avoid temptation this weekend by huddling up at my desk studying for my assignment :A Am already counting down for Christmas to be over with now. How can the lead up to one day of the year be so stressful?
  • Am just between parties. DS has one now after a swimming one this morning. Made a large payment this morning and our mortgage is now under £200,000 at £199,000 :D

We still have just under £12,000 worth of over payment allowance left until December next year so will continue now with weekly overpayments and trying to TT where we can. Spoke to the bank yesterday and we have already knocked five years off our thirty year mortgage with our overpayments. I am personally aiming to get rid of it before 2025 but we'll have to see what life throws at us.

Otherwise, no spending as yet this weekend. Although I have to pop to Asda on the way home to stock up on a few bits for the week as I'll be in London for work. Will need to get something simple for Mr BTC and the DC to prepare/eat whilst I'm away otherwise they'll be ordering takeaways for dinner and buying ready made sandwiches for lunch(!)
  • Well this has been a good week. Assignment done, children finish school tomorrow, no more parties :beer:

Relative staying with us for the weekend. Thankfully he is just wanting to relax and not do too much as he's saving for Christmas (works for us!), so apart from a takeaway or two hoping not to spend too much on entertainement this weekend. Children are booked into holiday club next week as I'm still at work so shouldn't need to be spending a fortune entertaining them, apart from possibly a trip to the cinema and dinner out as a little carrot dangle for good behaviour.

Just a few bits to get before Christmas, so will pop into the city on Saturday, but armed with a strict list and no browsing! Hoping it shouldn't be too busy this weekened, as am presuming everyone will be waiting until next week for thier last minute shopping.

Payday tomorrow so am going to OP £250 and keep the rest as a buffer for the Chirstmas holidays as Mr BTC has a few days off over the Christmas period so we'll inevitably be out and about.
  • Well done on getting under 200k, must be a lovely milestone to break. Don't envy you the pre-Christmas shopping in the city, hope it's not too painful!
  • Well, that brief hiatus was a bit longer than expected. Unfortunately due to a few health issues (ongoing and not covered by medical insurance) the MSEing has taken a bit of a back seat, along with the decluttering and general life organisation.

- Credit card: £2701 :eek:
    - House: A total shambles

BUT -

- Mortage: £191,000

So some positive movement. We have to refix the mortgage as our fixed term expires soon. Considering a 10 year fix as due to ongoing costly health issue it would be nice to know where we stand and can still overpay by 10% of the balance each year. Requires thought.

Have also started walking in the evening to try and get a bit fitter, eating better and decluttering again. Donated over half DC's clothes as they were too small and I need to remember they don't need as many clothes now they spend most the week in school uniform. Shoes are on the hit list today. I own so many yet only wear the same three pairs. Trying to do one decluttering thing a day so it feels more achievable.

Plans for the week:

Make a meal plan from freezer
    Organise all clothes
    Sort out hideous paperwork mountain and file

Credit card balance by August 9th. Mortgage OPs will have to take a hit this month to get rid of it. Fresh start. Can use the credit card for food/bills/etc to get the airmiles but no buying fabric/clothes/general rubbish. Trying to get back on track, fingers crossed the school holidays don't end up being too costly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure